• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Websites that were super popular and relevant, then faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, so many of these sites I remember being a big deal back in the day but never actually went to.

I remember when being "farked" was a thing.

I was gonna suggest this, actually, but I didn't know if it was still a popular site round these parts.

There's not much you can't find there that doesn't come up when you type (Game Name + Remix) into YouTube.

(plus they're like, the #1 reason people don't know what the fuck a remix is anymore, or that it's not the same thing as a cover song)

I think djpretzel's on the record as regretting the name but by the time the site blew up it was too late to rename it OverClocked ReArrangement.

I don't go there as often as I used to but I like that they're still compiling albums as it's a better way to separate the cream from the chaff on the site.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Pretty much Newgrounds.
The only reason their main players (OneyNG and such) still likely use it is that not all of their works can get past the YouTube sensors. Also, things just aren't that fun there anymore really.

Also FailBlog due to a combination of me and a lot of people not being Grade 10 anymore, as well as it's clusterfuck of a layout now that I revisited it after all these years.

highrider

Banned
I really miss team xbox. Used to have such a fun community. It's always nice to see guys from the old forum on here.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
AICN was always terrible. Dude wasn't able to write anything without a billion exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!

New trailer released!!!!
First look at new movie!!!!

Laieon

The Verge was so promising when it launched and then it went down the shitter. As far as tech news they are irrelevant to me.

I still love the Verge, and
Polygon

CollegeHumor and EbaumsWorld were the first two to come to mind for me, but they've already been mentioned.

happypuppy

Don't actually know how widely used it was but it was my main destination when I first started using the net around 1997.

Rootbeer

Banned
definitely agree with aintitcool and digg. both either failed to evolve or evolved in the wrong directions. myspace is another huge example. they had to have seen facebook coming to eat their lunch and they totally failed to do much of anything to prevent it. just a total devastation. yahoo jumps out at me too. if it weren't for them owning flickr I doubt i'd use or think about a single yahoo related thing at all.

when's the last time ain't it cool had a true scoop? I don't think it's happened in years.

they were THE SOURCE for the best star wars leaks back in the day. Now they don't even seem to be a part of the conversation.

NewGrounds
Albino black sheep
ZTHING
Funny junk
Home Star Runner
YTMND

I'm sure there are more but those come to mind off the top my of my head.

Rootbeer

Banned
I still scrobble too :( but I never visit the site anymore... the entire point of scrobbling, for me anyway, was to get recommendations and check out what other people are listening to that I know as well as people who are listening to similar stuff as me

but screw it... i just fire up spotify it's a way better experience for doing those sorts of things

AICN's track record is interesting to look at, considering how big the site was in the late 90s/early 2000s. AICN ended up basically being responsible for:

kickstarting the enthusiast press for film
getting JJ Abrams' Superman trilogy shitcanned
coining the phrase "Raped my childhood."

How did AICN get the JJ Superman movies done in? I've never heard that story.

I'm guessing that second point was tied to the prequels in some way?

Downhome

Wow, YTMND. Oddly enough I was just on that site last night for the first time in years and years.

I made a few handfuls on the site back in '05 to '07. Man, I haven't looked at my list in years. Do any of you guys remember this from GameFAQs back then? I wonder if the kid ever recovered, heh...

http://emogamefaqs.ytmnd.com/

zthing.com/

"We'll be back shortly with all our classic Flash-based humor content and games, as well as some great new fun content.
Be sure to check back soon for your favorite humor and fun!"

You liars.

Toon Zone was probably one of the biggest places online to talk about anything related to cartoons and animation. Their forums were extremely busy and had so many great regular members, but that was almost 10 years ago at its peak. What Toon Zone was for cartoons was like what NeoGAF is for games. Although definitely not close to how big NeoGAF is today.

And heck, I was even a mod there. I really miss that atmosphere :(

scotcheggz

Hoo boy, this one big time. I used to practically live on the SA Forums, but once they let FYAD invade GBS and didn't do anything to reverse it, I lost absolute and total interest. I still check back every now and then and it's still a cesspool. Absolute shame.

So that's what happened, I remember I stopped going to SA around the time they closed BYOB. Never really got why they closed that forum. The AMA forum they had used to be great, what was that called again? I went to SA recently out of curiosity and it was just a total cesspit.

What was the name of that gore website around back in the (I think) mid to late 90's? It had a lot of snuff type images and shit like that. I remember peeking through my fingers at it to see what the fuss was about, totally gross but it was massive back then, seemed everyone knew about it, probably due to controversy etc. Pretty redundant now, that stuff seeps all round the web.

Otherwise, stuff like AOL and MSN chat rooms, YTMND, geocities, alta-vista etc. Netscape directories and Xanga...

Dr.Acula

Banned
I remember going to Bluesnews a lot. The site still seems the same, I just don't visit it anymore.

gamefaqs
cheatcc

I've tried going to Gamefaqs for games released in the past year and there's nothing. There used to be half a dozen FAQs on day-1, and now... really sad, because game FAQs are still important. I don't want to watch youtube vids or visit sites where I have to click to the next page every paragraph.

Fark.com

predates reddit and I think even digg

also Slashdot used to be a bigger deal

Used to go to Fark daily. Never anymore :/.

Slashdot was the only site that handled the traffic during 9/11. What a legendary site. It could bring anything to its knees, but was a rock itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom