• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS exclusive games getting black case in Europe

L~A

Nintendo just revealed the boxart for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D via their press site, and look at this:

ktr_xc3d_ps_eur_15021iykj8.png

Looks like New Nintendo 3DS exclusive games will get a gorgeous black box in Europe!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, I don't know why, but that big bar looks much better in black.

Man this might be enough to differentiate for people like us but I can see a lot of mums buying N3DS games for O3DS owning kids.

kami_sama

I like! I hope there's a reversible cover. I love the one on my wii copy, and I'm not a fan of the black bar on top.

Shiggy

While that makes those games easier to spot, I wonder whether the average customer will realize that this can't be used on the original 3DS. The "New" isn't really that clear in that regard.

If anyone does, then they're an idiot and should suffer as such.

Not everyone spends 6 hours a day on NeoGAF...

beril

Man this might be enough to differentiate for people like us but I can see a lot of mums buying N3DS games for O3DS owning kids.

Yep tons of uninformed moms will be buying Xenoblade for their kids.

It remains to be seen how big of an issue it will be when/if there's a bigger range of games.
With exactly one exclusive title announced so far (which happens to be an externally developed niche Wii port) when the console is already out in all market kind of indicates that Nintendo aren't planning to make a very big deal about the increased specs.

herod

I doubt Nintendo will be crying too much if people mistakenly buy their products and then learn that there is a new console out.

It's really up to the retailers to prevent this kind of error.

Tillbo

I agree but I guess Nintendo probably won't release their more kid friendly games (Mario, Pokemon etc) for the N3DS?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So they've done left, right and now top for the DS line of games. I'm predicting the next system will sport the banner at the bottom.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looks so much better than the white ones. Sexy!

Regarding confusion, it is the retailers' responsibility to make sure that people know what they are buying from them.

I'm sure that Xenoblade's 3D commercial (if any) will also point it out quite clearly.

MCN

Banned
Not everyone spends 6 hours a day on NeoGAF...

You don't need to spend 6 hours a day on NeoGAF to realise that a different colour case with a different cover design is probably for a different system. I'm sorry, but if people are stupid enough to require it spelt out in huge letters every time, then fuck them. Stupidity should not be catered to, and should be punished.

Majine

Banned
You don't need to spend 6 hours a day on NeoGAF to realise that a different colour case with a different cover design is probably for a different system. I'm sorry, but if people are stupid enough to require it spelt out in huge letters every time, then fuck them. Stupidity should not be catered to, and should be punished.

There are plenty of examples of cases from the same systems with different coloring and design.

flohen95

There are plenty of examples of cases from the same systems with different coloring and design.

Which, in turn, is the stupid thing to do. Companies should be called out for that, if anything, not for changing their cover art when they release games for a new system.

Yet this isn't exactly like "why doesn't this PS4 game work on my son's PS3?!". I can see why the difference between 3DS and New 3DS might be genuinely confusing.

With that said, I love the black bar.

herod

indicates that Nintendo aren't planning to make a very big deal about the increased specs.

they can't really make a big deal out of unremarkable underlying specs, not that it really fits with their marketing style anyway.

the word of mouth they will automatically get in the enthusiast forums and press will be more than enough to cover it.

TheMoon

woooow, I am so irrationally excited by this. Love it!

Also seems smart since it further differentiates it from regular 3DS games. Plus I've been jealous of those black mature-rated game cases in Japan for a long time. :D

L~A

Also seems smart since it further differentiates it from regular 3DS games. Plus I've been jealous of those black mature-rated game cases in Japan for a long time. :D

Shibata: we heard that you liked those black boxes used in Japan for mature-rated games. Well, I'm proud to announced that all New Nintendo 3DS game will get one, regardless of their rating!*

* only one New Nintendo 3DS exclusive game planned for now. Please understand.

moerser

i dont think xenoblade is on alot of kids (up to the point where they are old enough to know such things) wishlists.

L~A

Too bad they're not showing the back of the box... I'd love to know if there's the JP VA included, like on the Wii version.

DarkTom

That's better. Not a big fan of the horizontal banner, but it's better in black.

Japanese black 3DS cases like Bravely Default remain unmatched in my eyes.

I can think of like 2 3DS games (NSMB2 and Pokemon ORAS, both in Europe) and 2 Wii games (NSMBWii and Pandoras Tower) that came in a non-standrd colour.

It really is not that common at all.

Edit: Oh, and Mario Kart 8 in the US.

Top Bottom