• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Interviews Paradox CEO and not pulling any punches

Chariot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiGZZ3QDth4

I googled and searched for recent Angry Joe threads, but apparently nobody posted any. The interview is very interesting., both for Paradox fans and for fans of harsh, but fair interviews. Respect for Joe for once again not shying away from harsh questions and respect to Paradox for not running away from them.

Call me a pathological liar if old.

Alienous

Straight from the beginning he's going for the jugular.

"And hello, and welcome, everybody, so it's Angry Joe and I'm sitting with shams".

Brutal.

Fury451

Banned
Is there a brief rundown of what they did? I've played some of their games, but didn't realize there was a controversy or anything with the company.

Will watch interview later. I enjoy Joe, but I have a feeling I'll have similar feelings about this as I did with RPS Peter interview.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a brief rundown of what they did? I've played some of their games, but didn't realize there was a controversy or anything with the company.

Will watch interview later. I enjoy Joe.

They haven't done anything big recently. Just launched some broken products like Sword of the Stars 2, which he asks them about. He gets them to admit they basically didn't play the game.

Or Magicka launching pretty buggy. They've been generally quite a bit better about stuff like that lately.

Man, right into the Sword of the Stars 2 debacle two minutes into the interview. That was a big huge mess.

( FYI Kerberos did right for the players of the game, took them a long time to do so )

Derp

Joe always asking the right questions.

We need more people to interview like him. More brutality please, people!

Fury451

Banned
They haven't done anything big recently. Just launched some broken products like Sword of the Stars 2, which he asks them about. He gets them to admit they basically didn't play the game.

Or Magicka launching pretty buggy.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. I like Magicka but it crashed on me constantly when it came out, and I didn't touch it for a long long time.

Didn't realize they were the Sword of the Stars 2 guys- heard about that one being a mess.

Well I appreciate voices like his asking these questions and advocating. I don't know if it's different watching than reading a transcript where you can't tell inflection or emotion, but the first few minutes here seem tough but not unprofessional so far- the RPS interview may have seemed worse than it was because it was just text.

kiguel182

Is this a new thing where media is interviewing devs like they are politicians and shit?

I guess the good part of this is that devs have a chance to explain why games are buggy sometimes or why bad things happen but it's just a bad mentality with "grilling" devs and having "journalists" that know very little of game dev talking like they are owned something and that they know what's happening.

epmode

Paradox was pretty shady for a while but they've turned around in the last few years. Can't say the same about Molyneux.

Orayn

Ah the new age of Molyneux-style interviews

Nothing ever really changes.

215539536_LJkdm-1050x10000.jpg

Chariot

Is this a new thing where media is interviewing devs like they are politicians and shit?

I guess the good part of this is that devs have a chance to explain why games are buggy sometimes or why bad things happen but it's just a bad mentality with "grilling" devs and having "journalists" that know very little of game dev talking like they are owned something and that they know what's happening.
It's apparently new in gaming journalism and much appreciated. Of course devs shouldn't be destroyed just for the sake of it. But if they fuck up they should be properly questioned and not patted on the hand. Joe already did good with punching important answers about the Xbox One out of Major Nelson and in the case of Paradox they admitted that they fucked up. Just watch the interview, it's very interesting.

shuri

Banned
Do you think this Angry Joe guy would do the same to the people behind Halo:MCC or anyone from Ubisoft?

Fury451

Banned
So, Randy, why aren't you in jail for stealing millions of dollars from Sega that was supposed to go to Aliens: Colonial Marines to make Borderlands 2 instead?

It's amazing to watch the high-stakes pass the buck game that gets played with Aliens: CM

He deserves to face the hard questions for that, and this is coming from a huge Gearbox fan. Brothers in Arms and Borderlands are fantastic franchises, which I feel are a bit tainted now by shifty actions.

Do you think this Angry Joe guy would do the same to the people behind Halo:MCC or anyone from Ubisoft?

Given the chance? Without a doubt he would, yeah.

Or holding devs accountable for the things they do? And that "they don't know game Dev" is a stupid excuse. Does that abstain a game from criticism if the critic doesn't actually develop? No.

Kudos to Joe, all interviews should be lead with the all-important question: "Are you a pathological liar?" It really gets at the heart of things and let's you know if sitting with this guy(s) is a waste of time.

Watching now and you can tell right away that even though Joe is asking hard questions, he still has respect for the developers and is conducting himself professionally.

Absolutely. The difference is the people behind MCC and from Ubi would never let him get close enough to ask those questions. Source: Angry Joe grilling Major Nelson at E3 2013

Chariot

Or holding devs accountable for the things they do? And that "they don't know game Dev" is a stupid excuse. Does that abstain a game from criticism if the critic doesn't actually develop? No.
iSLTVABsv32Ij.gif
And they usually explodes in his face.

Don't remmember if it was the one with Keighley or the other one in which someone took the microphone from his hands?
Major Nelson. And that interview was very healthy for the Xbox One.

marrec

Banned
Paradox have been one of my favorite developers of the last half-decade and it's cool to see that they don't shy away from the few tough questions that they've generated in that time.

Now someone do Ubisoft.

kiguel182

It's apparently new in gaming journalism and much appreciated. Of course devs shouldn't be destroyed just for the sake of it. But if they fuck up they should be properly questioned and not patted on the hand. Joe already did good with punching important answers about the Xbox One out of Major Nelson and in the case of Paradox they admitted that they fucked up. Just watch the interview, it's very interesting.

I'm watching it and I don't agree with that mentality. I didn't agree when it came to Molyneux and I don't agree with that in general.

Major Nelson isn't a dev, I'm not talking about that.

If devs fuck up you should be entitled to a refund not a public trial. They shouldn't be treated like politicians because they are just selling you a product that you either buy or not. You are entirely free to spend your money with them and it isn't hard to find if a game is broken post-launch.

"Journalists" that don't know much about game dev "grilling" the people that put a ton of work in a product is really not interesting for me. Media should be better at covering the final product and helping people decide if they should buy it or not. And, if the product is broken, are of course entitled to a refund.

Chariot

I think that was Major Nelson. They're apparently cool now, but yeah it blows up on him at times.
But that Major Nelson thing didn't blew in his face. The interview was ended by PR, btu we all know that the 24 hours check-in was removed within days of the interview despite what Major Nelson stated.
I'm watching it and I don't agree with that mentality. I didn't agree when it came to Molyneux and I don't agree with that in general.

Major Nelson isn't a dev, I'm not talking about that.

If devs fuck up you should be entitled to a refund not a public trial. They shouldn't be treated like politicians because they are just selling you a product that you either buy or not. You are entirely free to spend your money with them and it isn't hard to find if a game is broken post-launch.

"Journalists" that don't know much about game dev "grilling" the people that put a ton of work in a product is really not interesting for me. Media should be better at covering the final product and helping people decide if they should buy it or not. And, if the product is broken, are of course entitled to a refund.
Patting the devs constantly on the head leads to shit like the Assassins Creed Unity launch. Critical interviews should be mandatory in the game industry to help and protect consumers.

Fury451

Banned

It's definitely accountability, and it's needed. Especially with the "rockstar" developers and smaller studios- keeping them accountable may help turn out really fantastic products ultimately.

Not knowing game development is the equivalent of "I'd like to see you make a better game." I can't. That's not my job. I'm not a game developer so I'm not supposed to be competent at it.

I'd love to see an interview with early 2000s John Romero in this style about Daikatana and misuse of resources and time.

kiguel182

It should abstain you from criticising how game dev works. How can you criticise something you don't know nothing about?

Buzzman

Banned
And how often does that happen?

Damn, the CEO admitted to knowing their game was broken before they put it up for sale (Sword of the Stars II)

In their defense, they were publishing it for Kerberos (the developer) and hadn't had an issue w/ SOTS I or its sequence of expansion packs. A lot of the flat out broken wasn't immediately noticeable unless you actually got in and started diving into the game's systems, and it's not like SOTS is something a layman can just boot up and grok. It's a 4X series that scares off players of 4x games due to its complexity and focus.

(Also Kerberos would really love to have a take-back on that one. Was a bad situation all around.)

Well that's good to get people to admit that they have made mistakes.

And the CEO itself admit that they've learned for those mistakes for later products.

Corpekata

Banned
It should abstain you from criticising how game dev works. How can you criticise something you don't know nothing about?

I don't know much about movie production. Does that mean I can't tell Clint Eastwood it was a mistake to use an obviously fake baby doll in a key scene in American Sniper?

I don't get NeoGaf. That RPS thread was "omg that was brutal and unnecessary" and when someone they like takes the same tone they are all "omg that was amazing".

I don't know much about movie production. Does that mean I can't tell Clint Eastwood it was a mistake to use an obviously fake baby doll in a key scene in American Sniper?
In that case you're criticizing the end product.

I don't get NeoGaf. That RPS thread was "omg that was brutal and unnecessary" and when someone they like takes the same tone they are all "omg that was amazing".
Same tone? Did we watch the same interview?

Top Bottom