• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of the music in Mass Effect: Andromeda

Lime

The music has always been an important part in the Mass Effect series with its somewhat unique (at least in video games) use of ambient synth by the likes of Sam Hulick and Jack Wall. There's a reason why Vigil and Uncharted Worlds and Noveria in ME1 have been referenced throughout the trilogy and kind of defined the aesthetic of the Mass Effect Universe. With Andromeda any news or information about the OST have been kind of lowkey and the music in the trailers haven't been particularly memorable.

Someone has now uploaded 15 minutes of some of the music we will listen to. This is the main menu composition, among other things. The soundtrack is composed by John Paesano, a video game newcomer best known for his work on the The Maze Runner films and DareDevil television series.

To me it sounds a tad forgettable and generic with some strings, choir, horns, and some understated synth. It's cool if Bioware wanted to depart from the original aesthetic, but I feel Paesano could've made something a bit more unique and different. Go listen to the ME1 soundtrack and then back to this menu music and there's a stark difference in identity and uniqueness, I think. Maybe the other compositions will be a bit more unique and characteristic.

rashbeep

Banned
People will disagree with me, but I'm not really keen on the emphasis on piano that I've heard from the soundtrack so far.

Anyways here's the (apparent) Galaxy Map music. Probably one of the better pieces available atm, with some nods to the original theme. But doesn't really reach the same highs.

I swear I read that Hulick was doing the soundtrack for this. Must have imagined it I guess.

I liked Paesano's work on Daredevil so hopefully it turns out OK. I'll give it a listen when I get home.

Anno

Solo tinkly piano man strikes again. Damn. I wonder if music files will be replaceable at all on the PC version.

i-Lo

It's got a touch of Prometheus, Halo, Star Trek and feel of a new dawn. That said, it's not as iconic as ME1. But perhaps there are tracks thar are more esoteric and other wordly.

TBH (for me), neither ME2 nor ME3 reached the height of ME1 in this regard.

People will disagree with me, but I'm not really keen on the emphasis on piano that I've heard from the soundtrack so far.

Anyways here's the (apparent) Galaxy Map music. Probably one of the better pieces available atm, with some nods to the original theme. But doesn't really reach the same highs.

It's sounds like an own interpretation cover. I like it but the original is rather haunting & memorable.

Ralemont

not me
Aside from a few iconic tracks like Vigil and the Galaxy map, ME1's soundtrack was either forgettable or bad for me so I don't really get the frame of reference here.

Jarmel

Banned
Aside from a few iconic tracks like Vigil and the Galaxy map, ME1's soundtrack was either forgettable or bad for me so I don't really get the frame of reference here.

lololololol

ME1's soundtrack was fucking outstanding. It's easily the best of the trilogy and the other entries aren't slackers so that's a damn high bar.

Ralemont

not me
lololololol

ME1's soundtrack was fucking outstanding. It's easily the best of the trilogy and the other entries aren't slackers so that's a damn high bar.

I don't think it was, and aside from tracks that appeared in all the games (such as the ones I mentioned) it largely contains many of the worst tracks in the series, such as Virmire.

Ronabo

What really matters most is if the Biotic explosion sound effects are as awesome as they were in ME3!

ME's end credits song is still my favourite of the series, though I often mind myself humming the galaxy map theme absent-mindedly and that's up there too. The Normandy Reborn and Suicide Mission are the tracks I found the most memorable from ME2. ME3 was the only ME game I didn't replay so none of the music really stayed with me.

komorebi

lololololol

This. And the extended soundtrack floating around is incredible. Neither 2 or 3 lived up to the first game. Old school synth ambient music with a touch of modern orchestral in spots. So good.

lumzi23

My general opinion has been that ME1's soundtrack has been my least favorite in the series. However I just listened to some tracks on itunes and I have to admit that it's pretty good. I think maybe I prefer the tracks on their own outside of the game. This seems to trend with me and Jack Wall because I felt similarly about his work on Jade Empire which I hated in game, but listened to on it's own is one of my favorite soundtracks.

Mass Effect 1 is the only game in the series where I enjoyed most of the soundtrack. 2 had Suicide Mission and it's club themes, 3 only had the club theme and outside of that was totally forgettable. Hopefully Andromeda is better than 3 at the very least.

komorebi

My general opinion has been that ME1's soundtrack has been my least favorite in the series. However I just listened to some tracks on itunes and I have to admit that it's pretty good. I think maybe I prefer the tracks on their own outside of the game. This seems to trend with me Jack Wall because I felt similarly about his work on Jade Empire which I hated in game, but listened to on it's own is one of my favorite soundtracks.

Track down the extended soundtrack that fans made. The official released soundtrack is pretty nerfed by comparison.

Sorry, but that's trash compared to Hullick's original.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just want more synth, is that too much to ask for?

Sci-fi should be synth heavy.

The first game was really distinct from the others with the music, film grain, the retro scifi tone. The games released after EA took over have veered into Michael Bay territory and the music was one of the biggest casualties. Now it's generic action movie dreck for the most part.

Lime

By the way, Shinobi posted this info about music in the Nexus and it's a pretty weird design decision by Bioware:

The only bummer for me is that there's no music, it's ambient sounds. Bioware said that was a conscious design decision but I'm not a fan of that. I love some immersive music to set the mood for me. Still, it's not a *huge* deal to me, just a little disappointing.

So no music in Andromeda's version of the citadel for some reason.

Yeah this seems a bit more in line with the previous musical aesthetics but still a bit understated.

Agreed about the piano. Maybe Paesano heard Clint Mantsell's contracted piece for ME3 and sprung out from there.

Anno

As an aside, anyone who enjoyed ME1's music and wants more synth-heavy spacein' music should check out the entirety of the Stellaris soundtrack. It quickly became one of my top few OSTs ever and I don't think it gets a lot of exposure being attached a niche grand strategy game.

Not liking it at all, reminded me of Destiny in the first minute ( which had a great soundtrack) But this is Mass Effect? where is the Synth and the 70s music from the first game?

I wouldn't say this is bad, but it sure doesn't hold a candle against the galaxy map music that Hulick crafted, It's just iconic.

rashbeep

Banned
Agreed about the piano. Maybe Paesano heard Clint Mantsell's contracted piece for ME3 and sprung out from there.

You may have a point.

I understand why it's there... somber solo piano tones evoke a sense of longing/loneliness which seems appropriate for a game exploring a new and vast galaxy. But it just seems more safe/generic tonally than the retro feel of ME1.

I love it. That's beautiful.

Pusherman

I miss the synth soundtrack of the original Mass Effect. Still had the best OST in the series IMO. Just listen to Noveria how could you not love that shit. If they wanted to take it back to this style they could've taken a page from Westworld. It had some Mass Effect 1 style tracks. Especially this one.

Lime

The first game was really distinct from the others with the music, film grain, the retro scifi tone. The games released after EA took over have veered into Michael Bay territory and the music was one of the biggest casualties. Now it's generic action movie dreck for the most part.

Actually, this is what Casey Hudson asked Jack Wall and Sam Hulick for after ME1. Hudson wanted them to go into a more action-orchestral direction and depart from the ambience in ME1.

If you're interested, you can look into what Jack Wall had to say about working with Bioware and how the relationship presumably soured after ME2 (in a professional sense, not personal).

jtb

Banned
Actually, this is what Casey Hudson asked Jack Wall and Sam Hulick for after ME1. Hudson wanted them to go into a more action-orchestral direction and depart from the ambience in ME1.

If you're interested, you can look into what Jack Wall had to say about working with Bioware and how the relationship presumably soured after ME2 (in a professional sense, not personal).

Well, that was a bad decision.

Lime

Well, that was a bad decision.

Lots of bad decisions going from ME1 to ME2. The change in music aesthetic is indicative of the direction Bioware wanted to take the series in. But that's what Bioware wanted, unfortunately.

There's a reason why Vigil and other ME1 tracks were repeated in ME3.

Give me a piano playing sad tunes and I'll sing you praise. Goddamnit I can't get ME3 theme out of my head ever.

I like it. Not amazing w/o context tho.

Edit: can't stand Noveria at all but Uncharted Worlds is Mass Effect.

pmj

I don't think it was, and aside from tracks that appeared in all the games (such as the ones I mentioned) it largely contains many of the worst tracks in the series, such as Virmire.

Virmire ride is one of the best tracks of the game.

So no music in Andromeda's version of the citadel for some reason.

I'm pretty sure it was the same in ME2 and ME3, no music except for in-world stuff like in bars.

jtb

Banned
Lots of bad decisions going from ME1 to ME2. The change in music aesthetic is indicative of the direction Bioware wanted to take the series in. But that's what Bioware wanted, unfortunately.

There's a reason why Vigil and other ME1 tracks were repeated in ME3.

You won't hear any arguments from me. BioWare purged what little soul and identity the series had with the sequels.

Well this channel started posting music from the game about an hour ago, its still updating every couple of minutes
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvFy2vBLPVGxTz84NyVWP2eqMYl75Dq4r

Gotta say, after listening to some of these tracks it seems to me that this will be my least fav ost in the series, even worse than ME3...

Edit: just did more research, it seems like the entire soundtrack is only 18 tacks,The fuck?

Changed the link for a better quality.

Well this channel started posting music from the game about an hour ago, its still updating every couple of minutes
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvFy2vBLPVGxTz84NyVWP2eqMYl75Dq4r

Gotta say, after listening to some of these tracks it seems to me that this will be my least fav ost in the series, even worse than ME3...

Edit: just did more research, it seems like the entire soundtrack is only 18 tacks,The fuck?

Changed the link for a better quality.

Thanks for this. I fucking knew this games soundtrack would be shit when I read who the composer was, why do devs hire people who don't know how to write for games? Same shit happened with DA:I.

There is nothing here that comes even remotely close to the worst tracks from Jack Wall.

What's even worse, is I skimmed through a 6 hour play session someone uploaded and there is hardly any music playing, they visited a few planets, along with a few interiors and it's just silence, what the fuck bioware.

Top Bottom