• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2004 vs. 1998

AniHawk

I think 1998 has finally "met its match." The year which has produced the most classics in recent history might be replaced by this year's lineup.

1998 saw:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
House of the Dead
Shining Force III
Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue
Banjo-Kazooie
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Half-Life
Starcraft
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fallout 2
Resident Evil 2
Xenogears

2004 will have, and has had (if nothing gets delayed, and live up to the hype):

Doom 3
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Fable
Sudeki
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Resident Evil 4
Paper Mario 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Pikmin 2
Chronicles of Riddick
Ninja Gaiden

Of course, last year, I thought 2003 was gonna be a better year too, and several games disappointed.

Matlock

Banned
Every year is great, so why put yourself (and the forum) through the pointless debate on which year is the best, or if any could stack up to the "mythical hypezilla" that was 1998?

Socreges

Banned
I'd very much like to remove some of those games and place other ones in their place.

While 2004 will probably end up being the better year [for me], 1998 was without a doubt more original. Even the franchises that we had seen before featured complete makeovers.

AniHawk

Socreges said:
I'd very much like to remove some of those games and place other ones in their place.

While 2004 will probably end up being the better year [for me], 1998 was without a doubt more original. Even the franchises that we had seen before featured complete makeovers.

Go ahead and make your own comparisons. I dun care.

Mooreberg

I thought 2003 was gonna be a better year too, and several games disappointed.

Not to mention half of the good games slated for last year still aren't out.

Provided there isn't some type of delay spree again, I think this year will top 1998. Yes, a lot of the games like Half-Life 2, Gran Turismo 4, RE4, and MGS3 are sequels to games that made 1998 great. But combine those with stuff like Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, cheap ass sports games, all the platform games, and everything that already come out this year (UT2004, Riddick, Rallisport 2, etc) and this is a great year.

Yeah it's a lot of sequels but they're all gonna be damn good.

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
They're just a pile of obvious sequels. If anything, that comparison shows us how less-ambitous developers are in recent years.

teepo

i was thinkign about this the other day in the shower... and i've come to the conclusion... no. nothign will ever beat 1998. the games will be better today but the impact these games will have will never come close to halflife, starcraft, zelda64, mgs and countless others.

Ranger X

Even if 2004 looks like "the year of big fat sequels", it looks like it's going to be a hell of a holiday season. Can't recall many gaming holiday that were THAT hot.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
don't forget such titles such as Forza Motorsport, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, Rallisport challenge 2, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

AniHawk

DopeyFish said:
don't forget such titles such as Forza Motorsport, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, Rallisport challenge 2, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

If I did, I'd have to include Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Donkey Konga, Prince of Persia 2, etc.

DopeyFish

AniHawk said:
If I did, I'd have to include Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Donkey Konga, Prince of Persia 2, etc.

Donkey Konga? Bzzt. The other 2 previous? maybe. PoP is a given.

Forza will probably be huge (finally a real racing simulator on Xbox! TAKE THAT SEGAGT!) , Pandora Tomorrow was huge (3 million+ across all platforms?), Far Cry is getting GOTY considerations, RalliSport Challenge 2 is the best rally racing game evar and UT 2004 was completely awesome.

AniHawk

DopeyFish said:

Forza will probably be huge (finally a real racing simulator on Xbox! TAKE THAT SEGAGT!) , Pandora Tomorrow was huge (3 million+ across all platforms?), Far Cry is getting GOTY considerations, RalliSport Challenge 2 is the best rally racing game evar and UT 2004 was completely awesome.

I don't think Forza will be huge with GT4, NFSU2, and Burnout 3. It's really gonna have to distinguish itself among those games. PT was a big seller, true. Forgot about Far Cry.

I just wouldn't be so sure about Forza success since the Xbox has only had 2 racers that could be as huge and that's the original PGR and NFSU. Everything else has just done decent, nothing really impressive.

DopeyFish

AniHawk said:
I don't think Forza will be huge with GT4, NFSU2, and Burnout 3. It's really gonna have to distinguish itself among those games. PT was a big seller, true. Forgot about Far Cry.

well you put pikmin 2 up there, so at least the games i listed deserve a spot.

DopeyFish

Socreges said:
What the fuck does it matter? Good God

well when you're comparing top quality titles of 1998 to top quality titles of 2004, it's best to list them all, instead of saying 1998's top quality titles and only *SOME* of 2004's. That' why it matters. Comparing 100% vs 75% but claiming as 100/100 doesn't give fair comparison.

Either way.... 2004 > 1998.

Alcibiades

Pikmin 2 is an EVENT, it was climbing the charts in Japan and still selling well, and over here a frenzy has been cause by people tatooing the release date on their arms...

Don't be surprised if GOTY mentions start September when Pikmin 2 release...

Socreges

Banned
DopeyFish said:
well when you're comparing top quality titles of 1998 to top quality titles of 2004, it's best to list them all, instead of saying 1998's top quality titles and only *SOME* of 2004's. That' why it matters. Comparing 100% vs 75% but claiming as 100/100 doesn't give fair comparison.

Either way.... 2004 > 1998.
Preeeecisely. That's the main point here. You're just doing advocating certain games for pride. And saying shit like:
Make your own list for chrissakes.

lordmrw

Its like I've always said, the even numbered years always seem to have the best game releases. 92 was the first year of the snes and had Link to the Past, Contra 3, Street Fighter 2, Sonic 2, etc. 94 had Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Super Metroid, Megaman X, Super Street Fighter 2, etc. 96 was the first year of the PS and Saturn and had the N64 launch. 98, well that goes without saying. 2000 saw Sega really pull out all the stops with the DC releases, Majora's Mask, and the PS2 launch, even though it was pretty shitty. 2002 had Metroid Prime, Splinter Cell, Vice City, Ratchet and Clank and god knows what else.

DopeyFish

Socreges said:
Preeeecisely. That's the main point here. You're just doing advocating certain games for pride. And saying shit like:

Make your own list for chrissakes.

I said maybe on those 2 because I don't know much about them. Konga is niche, like DDR. And POP was a given because of the critical acclaim the first game got.

Stop being so defensive.

Socreges

Banned
DopeyFish said:
I'm sorry if you don't like games then. Why are you here exactly?
I'm not sure how you managed to derive that, but at least it's brought an end to this farce. Until next time, Dopey.

As some have already pointed out, as good as 2004 games may be, there's no way they'll match the impact, original genre-defining experiences that their 1998 counterparts brought to the industry.

Operations said:
As some have already pointed out, as good as 2004 games may be, there's no way they'll match the impact, original genre-defining experiences that their 1998 counterparts brought to the industry.

Doesn't really matter if it matches the originality as long as the games are better.

puck1337

I dunno. Why don't we look at this topic again in 5 years, when we actually know if people are still playing the games you've listed, or more importantly, the games you haven't listed.

bjork

I think the real question here is "will 2004 > 1987?"

1987 = Pirates!
2004 = Pirates! remake

Can it possibly be cooler than the original? I don't think it IS possible...

AniHawk said:
I think 1998 has finally "met its match." The year which has produced the most classics in recent history might be replaced by this year's lineup.

1998 saw:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
House of the Dead
Shining Force III
Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue
Banjo-Kazooie
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Half-Life
Starcraft
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fallout 2
Resident Evil 2
Xenogears

2004 will have, and has had (if nothing gets delayed, and live up to the hype):

Doom 3
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Fable
Sudeki
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Resident Evil 4
Paper Mario 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Pikmin 2
Chronicles of Riddick
Ninja Gaiden

Of course, last year, I thought 2003 was gonna be a better year too, and several games disappointed.

Anihawk. Not as many of the 1998 games don't have a number behind them. Not even close.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1998 had Grim Fandango

Therefore, 1998 > every other year

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
1998 saw me buy Papyrus's Grand Prix Legends and a steering wheel for my PC.

Many racing sims have come & gone & tried to lay claim to the throne, At least many tried - all failed.

GPL still holds it's crown, and is still on my PC.

I'll miss your work Papyrus, I hope David Kaemmer and the rest of the team have gone on to bigger and better things.

Freeburn.

Top Bottom