• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 23 years, Blitz Games Studios has shut down

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200070/After_23_years_Blitz_Games_Studios_has_shut_down.php

Blitz.Games Studios, the UK-based games company co-founded by industry veterans Philip and Andrew Oliver, is to close its doors after 23 years in the games business.

The studio was founded in 1990, and houses multiple divisions including Blitz Games, Blitz Arcade and Blitz Games. The outfit is perhaps best known for creating titles based on TV and movie franchises.

In a statement today, the company announced that it has ceased trading, and that 175 people have been let go. Notably, around 50 staffers will apparently form a new studio out of the ashes of Blitz, to continue working on two of the company's current projects.

Sniper Elite studio Rebellion Developments is also looking to help out by taking on some of the remaining out-of-work staff.

Philip Oliver says that, "Frustrations with clients, the global economic crisis, and more than our fair share of simple bad luck" has led to Blitz going out of business.

"We have done all that we can to make Blitz a success, and we have come frustratingly close in recent months," he added. "Major clients have felt unable to commit to investment in significant projects, others have changed strategy whilst appearing committed, and others have been slow to commit at all - all of these things have continued to hurt our finances. We have also sustained the business for some time with our personal savings but even those reserves have now been exhausted."

i wish more studios would set a small team aside and focus on titles they wanna do. Just look what Blizzard is doing with heathstone or Ubisoft with thier new Valiant heart and Child of light (or whatever its called). Imo these smaller games can be way better then the big team ones.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
i wish more studios would set a small team aside and focus on titles they wanna do. Just look what Blizzard is doing with heathstone or Ubisoft with thier new Valiant heart and Child of light (or whatever its called). Imo these smaller games can be way better then the big team ones.

They used to have one in Bltiz 1UP. Also, these are really hard times for franchise workers, those who created those licensed games that used to sell.

Admittedly, the last half-decent game they made was Droplitz, and that their last 10 years of releases is 90% licensed shovelware (an industry that has all but killed by smartphones) but it's still sad to see what was basically part of the furniture of the British game industry going bankrupt.

GcuEQnC.jpg

RIP in peace Glover

Oh wow, Really, really sad to hear this news today. Although I haven't worked there for 8 or 9 years they gave me my start in the industry and I've always been rooting for them to make it big. The Oliver twins are without a doubt two of the nicest most down to earth people I've ever met.

Despite the games not being particularly great or well received they did have some incredibly talented programmers. I learn a tremendous amount from the people there and hope everyone finds new employment.

Just Add Water has already reached out to the employees

UPDATE: Oddworld developer Just Add Water has reached out to those affected by the Blitz lay-offs and is offering them the chance to apply for roles at the studio. In a statement to VG247, CEO Stewart Gilray said, “I’m deeply saddened to hear today that Blitz has ceased trading. 23 years is an exceptional loss to the industry. In light of this news we would like to talk to programmers and possibly others. Info will be available on the below link.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/12/blitz-lays-off-over-150-staff-ceases-trading-report/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Best of luck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Blitz were generally a good hard-working work-for-hire company, I thought a few of their originals were pretty good, IndieCity seemed like a nice enough initiative. But as a business model it always seemed like a bunch of components trying to scrape together something, anything that would be financially feasible. With all the stressors in the industry, particularly the licensed game industry, it doesn't surprise me that they couldn't keep up. Best wishes to everyone who worked there in the future.

Special mention to the awesome Burger King games. :)

Lijik

Hope everyone involved lands on their feet

Unless I'm mistaken, they did every version but the Wii U one. Anyone?
They did the 360 and PS3 (maybe PSV too?) ports, the Wii one was done inhouse at Junction Point and I forgot what company did the Wii U port but it was some other dev

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hope everyone involved lands on their feet

They did the 360 and PS3 (maybe PSV too?) ports, the Wii one was done inhouse at Junction Point and I forgot what company did the Wii U port but it was some other dev

Heavy Iron Studios.

Top Bottom