• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Garland Will Retire From Directing After CIVIL WAR Film

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

It seems fair to say then that everything's been going swimmingly in Garland's career for nearly three decades; in addition to the feature films, there have been video games and the Silicon Valley sci-fi TV series Devs. That's why, when I read an interview conducted during Civil War's shoot, in which he declared his intention to give up directing and retreat to only writing, I assume they must have caught him on a bad day. Here, now, surrounded by framed posters of his past triumphs and with his latest opus ready for release, does he still feel the same? "Nothing's changed," he says flatly. "I'm in a very similar state. I'm not planning to direct again in the foreseeable future."

He's just going to write from now on, this is his last movie as a director.

Next up from him is 28 Years Later (Writer)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Sad to hear, Alex is a great film director and I have enjoyed many of his movies. Ex Machina and Annihilation are top tier sci Fi movies. But he's an even greater writer so it's not all bad if he continues writing scripts, or even better, goes back to writing novels again.

I like him as a writer but not so much a director. Their is an emptiness to his characters/worlds that is hard to explain. Civil War looks good tho(has reviewed well). It is weird he is contemplating retiring now, since Civil War will surely be his best mainstream movie

Last edited:
What Mr Hyde said, save for the novels part. I'm a lazy bones and want my Garland content fed to me in film form so I can passively gobble it up like a greedy little piggy.

Civil war looks a little to 9n the nose.
I thought this too. Reviewers have said it's not. It's intentionally vague about the political discourse. I think I remember reading that Texas and California joined together as one faction. So, yeah, I don't think it's trying to mirror real life much at all

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
"Nothing's changed," he says flatly. "I'm in a very similar state. I'm not planning to direct again in the foreseeable future."

doesn't seem entirely definite

Dr_Salt

He has good and original ideas but he is not the best director. As someone else said he is a better writer.

Trilobit

His works do have a depressing atmosphere over them(which I like), but he might need to focus on some personally more fulfilling stuff for some time. I don't think he has directed his last film by a long shot, often creatives just need a break from it all. Especially workaholics who don't really know how to do that so they call it "retirement".

Top Bottom