• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All strategy guides need to be handbook sized!

Matlock

Banned
When I looked through the contents of the Warcraft III Battle Chest, I noticed something a bit different about the strategy guides. Instead of being huge things (Diablo II and Starcraft had big ones), the guides in the War Chest were about the size of a Manga volume...Or, or simplicity, handbook sized.

Instead of going into tangents about bullshit, and padding page after page with art that doesn't really appeal all that much, the guides get down to brass tacks. No bullshit here, just a full on strategy guide that picks up where the manual leaves off.

Now seriously, in a day where strat guides are somewhere nearing $20 for a huge volume, I wouldn't mind paying $8-$10 instead for a handbook sized bit that is both easily accessible and tells me exactly what I need to know in the given situation.

BradyGames, I tip my hat to you for making a great format (for this boxset, at least).

Cloudy

Banned
The only reason I would buy a strategy guide is for art*

* I've never bought one lol. Shit, GameFaqs is there for a reason if I really get stuck!

john tv

Welcome to Japan, where 99% of all guide books are of the smaller-sized variety (and the uh, MUCH higher quality variety).

Agree with ya 100%.

Matlock

Banned
belgurdo said:
Anyone notice that Prima sells digest-sized books for like $5 off the regular price?

!

I didn't know that, but I'll look into it next time I buy a game that necessitates a strategy guide.

Fularu

Banned
Matlock said:
!

I didn't know that, but I'll look into it next time I buy a game that necessitates a strategy guide.

Which is none :p (well maybe for DWVII but that's abour it :p)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"All strategy guides need to be handbook sized."

If you mean "All strategy guides need to burn to a crisp along with the gamers who depend upon them," then yes, I agree.

GaimeGuy said:
"All strategy guides need to be handbook sized."

If you mean "All strategy guides need to burn to a crisp along with the gamers who depend upon them," then yes, I agree.

but then developers will have to make their games with goals that are easy to find instead of just "oh, the guide will tell them how to get there." Kind of like buggy games, we as consumers need to tell the companies to stop screwing us.

BTW, what company decided to make guides popular? They weren't that big a few years ago and all of a sudden everywhere you look guides guides guides!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
But if they're handbook sized, you aren't able to lay them flat on the floor/table/whatever for quick reference.

cuccoo

I have this tiny Oracle of Ages/Season guide book. cost me $6-7, but its in black & white; while the $15 standard size book is full color, iirc.

Fifty

fenekku-gitsune said:
But if they're handbook sized, you aren't able to lay them flat on the floor/table/whatever for quick reference.

Yeah, but if they're that big you've got to really force the pages to stay down...I don't bend my books! Bitch...

Top Bottom