• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Auburn University vs Richard Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
I doubt there's any specific law that makes him speaking at the university "allowable" other than the first amendment itself.

I mean. Not specific to universities, but free speech has been upheld in courts under first amendment grounds for decades and decades.

What I'm saying is, there needs to be an amendment to such legality to exclude hate speech that specifies race, gender, nationality or sexual orientation. We don't currently have that and won't have that for probably our whole lives, so until then we must fight these genocidal maniacs with everything we have. Which is protests, shouting, and sometimes a good ol' glitterbomb.

This many posts and no face punch gifs? You're getting slow, GAF.

giphy.gif

Ahhhhh...that's the stuff.

Okay

Why are you opposed to hate speech laws?

Partially because I am a civil libertarian who believes that maximization of individual liberty, including the liberty to exercise freedom poorly, is the goal of good governance, partially because I believe it is unnecessary given the pathetically low recruitment rate these organizations actually have, and partially because I happen to believe, as was best expressed in the movie version of A Clockwork Orange, in the principle that goodness is not truly good unless there is an element of choice to it, and that there is more value in a society allowing individuals the opportunity to distinguish a clean from a dirty glass of water, knowing some will fail in this, than outlawing all dirtying of glasses in advance.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Partially because I am a civil libertarian who believes that maximization of individual liberty, including the liberty to exercise freedom poorly, is the goal of good governance, partially because I believe it is unnecessary given the pathetically low recruitment rate these organizations actually have, and partially because I happen to believe, as was best expressed in the movie version of A Clockwork Orange, in the principle that goodness is not truly good unless there is an element of choice to it, and that there is more value in a society allowing individuals the opportunity to distinguish a clean from a dirty glass of water, knowing some will fail in this, than outlawing all dirtying of glasses in advance.

Just want to point out that minorities often don't have the freedom to think like this. They have to deal with the realities of hate speech directly and immediately.

Also outright recruitment might be low but a bunch of voting conservatives tend to agree with at least a part of his white sympathy and are rooting for him.

JordanN

Banned
We're letting Nazis speak at universities now?

They lost WW2. Take the L, Nazism will never be accepted without hostile resistance.

Just want to point out that minorities often don't have the freedom to think like this. They have to deal with the realities of hate speech directly and immediately.

The reality, the vast majority of the time in contemporary America, is an asshole being an asshole. Subtler, more pernicious forms of prejudice, not covered under any kind of hate speech law on the books anywhere, are at the root of minorities' present lot, and stopping nuts like Spencer from prattling on about their asinine solutions to nonexistent problems won't stop people on Twitter from saying "All Lives Matter", or a boss from throwing a resume in the trash because the name was black-sounding, or a cop pulling his gun on a nonviolent black or Hispanic offender and hiding behind the blue wall. It's putting a bandaid on a hair-thin cut radiating from a stage 4 pressure ulcer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The reality, the vast majority of the time in contemporary America, is an asshole being an asshole. Subtler, more pernicious forms of prejudice, not covered under any kind of hate speech law on the books anywhere, are at the root of minorities' present lot, and stopping nuts like Spencer from prattling on about their asinine solutions to nonexistent problems won't stop people on Twitter from saying "All Lives Matter", or a boss from throwing a resume in the trash because the name was black-sounding, or a cop pulling his gun on a nonviolent black or Hispanic offender and hiding behind the blue wall. It's putting a bandaid on a hair-thin fissure radiating from a stage 4 pressure ulcer.

So let hate speech flow because people are still gonna be ignorant? That isn't really a great argument and feels incredibly self defeating not too mention it ignores the fact minorities can't just ignore or avoid hate speech which was my main point.

Sianos

I'm tired of this "we support the right of free speech" crap. Is his shit ass getting arrested for what he is saying? No? Then fuck him.
It's always that deflection into "yeah, but they're legally allowed to say [deplorable bullshit]" as if that somehow defends said deplorable bullshit without having to dirty their mouths by putting their defense into words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom