• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Stolar, former SEGA Exec, passes away at 75

SkylineRKR

Sad and a fair bit too young still, rest in peace.

The man made some huge mistakes in the business, which are often discussed still, but also did a great job on the Northern American launch of the Dreamcast, and bought Visual Concepts. He worked in an era where gaming wasn't as mainstream as it is today, but what I would call the golden age of gaming (late 90's, early 2k's). Seeing the leading people from that time pass away is sad.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Left an impact on Sony and Sega, both positively and negatively. But he accomplished and changed a lot. I wish we had seen his version of the 3DFX Dreamcast. I always love the idea that Bernie was a secret Sony Spy who purposefully tanked the Saturn. Had his hands involved in Atari and Lynx too, amazing really. Like one of those professional sports coaches, who keeps getting fired and rehired.

For better or worse he had a major impact, especially on Playstation.

Sony seems to be really the only one of the Japanese companies that let Bernie do what he needed to do. Sega Japan was so out of touch and tied his hands behind his back, Sega America and even Nintendo America were just mouth pieces.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Thinking he's the only person who made mistakes in the Saturn era is absurd. SEGA Japan executives were brain dead, they made stupid decisions from the start. Even Kalinsky take his part in an interview he made years ago.

Ofcourse, he wasn't even the highest boss. Sega was in shambles long before he joined. But you could argue against his 5 star policy and stance on 2D games and RPG. But you could also find merit in his thoughts. Because face it, in 1996 barely anyone wanted 2D games. We bought all those 32 bit systems to experience 3d planes and polygons.

RPG's well, it wasn't only Bernie. I am from Europe and Nintendo or Square NEVER released anything like it. We never got Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF3 etc. It was the overall perception. I didn't ask for those games back then either, nor did any of my friends. We didnt understand static battles. It was when I played FFVII on PSX I got hooked to those games.

Left an impact on Sony and Sega, both positively and negatively. But he accomplished and changed a lot. I wish we had seen his version of the 3DFX Dreamcast. I always love the idea that Bernie was a secret Sony Spy who purposefully tanked the Saturn. Had his hands involved in Atari and Lynx too, amazing really. Like one of those professional sports coaches, who keeps getting fired and rehired.

For better or worse he had a major impact, especially on Playstation.

Sony seems to be really the only one of the Japanese companies that let Bernie do what he needed to do. Sega Japan was so out of touch and tied his hands behind his back, Sega America and even Nintendo America were just mouth pieces.

I think him saying Saturn is not our future wasn't smart. It was probably correct (the thing was generally disliked in the west, developing for it was a nightmare, it bled money) but if very honest its not smart. This was like spring 1997. At the stage he said it, Sega didn't have new hardware until summer 1999. Plus, Sega was in a tough spot as Saturn wasn't a total failure in Japan, I think it was more succesful than the N64.

One of my favourite quotes in this industry is ' No more Tekken' when he announced Soul Calibur.

Last edited:

cireza

MegaDrive and Mega-CD had much more RPGs and Adventure games than SNES in Europe, and even in the US it was very close. A ton of them being developed and/or published directly by SEGA, while Nintendo wasn't publishing shit. SEGA was a major contributor to the genre in the West.

I think this man did his best, but ultimately, two radically different visions existed (Japan vs West) but they had to coexist in a single product (MegaDrive, then Saturn). This is what made things very challenging to begin with.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
He was an interesting guy and probably got a bad rap in some ways, as he really paved the was for Dreamcast's early success.

I once had the chance to talk to him for a good hour or two and found him to be a really direct, open, guy with some interesting takes. RIP.

mansoor1980

Everyone keeps talking about him and Sega but he also launched the PlayStation in the US and implemented his “Five Star” approval process that basically banned 2D games and nearly cost the US a release of MGS as a result.
i dont get it , MGS is 3d

SkylineRKR

Everyone keeps talking about him and Sega but he also launched the PlayStation in the US and implemented his “Five Star” approval process that basically banned 2D games and nearly cost the US a release of MGS as a result.

Yeah but long after he was gone Sony was still very receptive towards 2D. I think they allowed 2D only if they were budget priced, and later on PS2 they only allowed 2D when released in compilations. It was something like that. Thats why in Europe PS2 initially barely got 2D games, but in its twilight suddenly all those compilations like Gunbird Special edition were released. On PS1 a lot of these 2D games were never localized.

Dane

He made some mistakes, but honestly, they overrate it way too much to blame it for Sega's downfall.

The truth is that most of his refusal were based on 2D games that died overnight in western sales with the 32-bit generation release, I sell videogames and most of the japanese Saturn software I have are anime niche genre stuff like VN that no third party would pick up back in the day for overseas release, the market was not there, not even the VHS anime adaptations. Was it necessary? Obviously not, just should have let go and pick royalties if anyone was interested.

The stance on the Saturn not being a future was actually a harsh truth by 97, Sega had done screwed up with the design that was mainly easier for 2D, Capcom which was a major Saturn and DC supporter had financial losses with Street Fighter 3 poor sales on the arcades and ditched out 2D games from their pipeline. He said in Arcade Attack interview that he only joined SoA if Japan could accept his demand for a new console when it needed, which I believe it started right after SoJ botched up Sonic X-Treme development for a last time when Yuji Naka threatened to leave the company because Stolar had picked up a copy of the Nights sourcecode at the STI request to speed up development.

His Dreamcast management was a industry set example in marketing and quality, the japanese release was weak on launch content, but the extra nine months allowed to gather all the great software released up until them for the western release, which included SoulCalibur, and by that point a flow of continuous releases as developers were finishing their projects started back in the prototype hardware days. All of his team would later get jobs at big companies, which included Peter Moore, add that the affordable price (Saturn was 100$ more expensive than PS1) and the online capabilities and you get a lightining in the bottle which made record breaking numbers at launch. According to the interview mentioned above, SoJ wanted to botch the release for a lowkey online only release in 2000.

At the end of the day, he was a great manager who tired to save a company who was stubborn until its near death bed. The lack of money or will from Sega to force life support on the western Saturn until the DC launch was the biggest trust issue factor with the public.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Huh, I thought this story was about Resident Evil 2 and Mega Man X4? Sounds oddly familiar...

Same thing happened with Mega Man X4. Sony flat-out rejected it (like they did MM8 earlier). While MM8 got approved after Sony saw the Saturn version and required Capcom to give the PS version something exclusive, RE2 is what got MMX4 past approval.

Makes me feel old, he seemed like such a force in Sega in the late 90s, I was always really impressed with how he handled the Dreamcast launch. It's been really fascinating reading about how mismanaged Sega was in those years. Seems like if SoJ had been more open-minded, and listened to SoA more, they would've lasted a lot longer in the hardware business than they did.

Not much I can add on to what's already been mentioned ITT...there are probably some other things with some of Stolar's Saturn and even Dreamcast decisions that anyone interested should watch Jenovi's videos on those topics for...

...but aside from that, I'm just really surprised he's actually passed away. Only learned about him in retrospect, but I remember seeing interviews from him during Dreamcasts's lead-up to launch and the launch itself, he really helped do wonders for the system in the West after SOJ botched the system's momentum in Japan.

RIP, and condolences to his family, friends, loved ones, and significant other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom