• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard shuts down legacy WoW server hours after launch

GRIMREEFZ

theres always 2 sides to theses stories. and we normally hear the story of the little guy. Im sure blizzard had good reasons for shutting it down. Brings AM2R to mind and how Nintendo announced the new metro 2 last month shortly after AM2R was killed. IDK this is always tough.

TheYanger

theres always 2 sides to theses stories. and we normally hear the story of the little guy. Im sure blizzard had good reasons for shutting it down. Brings AM2R to mind and how Nintendo announced the new metro 2 last month shortly after AM2R was killed. IDK this is always tough.

I mean, Blizz has made the story pretty well known. They're literally running the game right now still. Free versions of the game (and usually ones that charge money since that's how they stay afloat, these 'free' servers have all sorts of scammery going on), even an older version of it, is not something that you want running alongside your legitimate version of the game.

Ostinatto

So if i make a private server in Russia it will never get shut down?

Why Bliizard can mess with french private servers and not russian´s.?

Kuosi

Warmane has been running high pop servers for years, Romanins behind em. I knew Gummys was going to be shot down before first people even reach 70, but blizzard exceeded my expectations

Rncewind

I mean sad for the guy that build

but at this point i am asking myself, if its not nostalgia as people are arguing, and blizzard is not making legacy servers despite there been a considrible ammount of a market, is there a reason why nobody is making a mmo in the spirit of vanilla wow?

Pejo

I'm probably grossly oversimplifying this, but akin to Nathan For You's "Dumb Starbucks" idea, why couldn't they just edit the splash screen to "World of Dumbcraft" and use parody law to keep it afloat?

I realize it didn't work in the show either.

low-G

Is there a reason they haven't distributed a client / server combo with server data so people can set up their own private WoW to share with friends? That's how Everquest emulator has worked.

cable-company-employees-nipples-south-park.jpg

Oh you want to play vanillla WoW but there is no way to do it? Ohhh that sucks

Linkura

I thought based on the title of the thread that Blizzard themselves made legacy servers and then shut them down.

Nope, just another group of people who spent hundreds of hours doing something that was going to get shot down immediately upon launch by Blizzard's lawyers.

Kite

I mean sad for the guy that build

but at this point i am asking myself, if its not nostalgia as people are arguing, and blizzard is not making legacy servers despite there been a considrible ammount of a market, is there a reason why nobody is making a mmo in the spirit of vanilla wow?
I remember reading that Wildstar supposed to be sorta in the spirit of vanilla WoW, or WoW done right. I never played old WoW, but Wildstar didn't really impress me.

erawsd

Blizzard's position is that they can't allow these private servers because it weakens their IP rights. They won't do official legacy servers because they don't think its worth the opportunity cost. They seem more interested in finding out exactly what these people loved about vanilla and doing what they can to recreate it in the modern game.

Lancelot

Blizzard's position is that they can't allow these private servers because it weakens their IP rights. They won't do official legacy servers because they don't think its worth the opportunity cost. They seem more interested in finding out exactly what these people loved about vanilla and doing what they can to recreate it in the modern game.

This is an easy task, just delete all content made after TBC was released.

v1perz53

This is what bothers me. Their live service doesn't resemble what they consider "the competition" but Blizzard won't do vanilla servers. People who want a vanilla experience are SOL basically. I'm not one to gripe about expansions and updates ruining things because I think that sets a bad precedent (I didn't like X expansion so I should be able to open up my own thing).... But vanilla World of Warcraft is nothing like Legion, the game is more unsocial than ever. Sure, some of that is due to QOL improvements but now it's basically an offline RPG with a chat box and people running around with very little interaction.

I think the issue is that there are a non-zero number of people currently playing Legion and paying for WoW that would love to have legacy servers, but still play current WoW regardless. As such, if a private server goes up, (especially if it is free) these players might stop playing live WoW and instead go there. It isn't like the only people who would play legacy servers are people who want no other WoW experience. So leaving legacy servers up does cost blizz money and hurts their current product, regardless of whether they have their own legacy servers or not.

Do I wish they would just say fuck the money and allow the servers to stay up regardless of potential losses? Definitely, players wanting legacy stuff deserve something to play. But I don't pretend to know the full legal implications of something like that, nor am I a business that has to consider things like investor opinions on the matter.

At the same time, as a current WoW player I can't say that I want blizzard to spend any time or resources on their own legacy servers, since it would directly compete with resources towards what I enjoy (current live WoW), and blizz has proved in the past that they already have issues delivering content at an appropriate pace without worrying about legacy stuff. In addition, I've said before but I think the number of players that play on legacy servers that are free because of nostalgia is far from 100% of the players that would play on legacy servers for a price because of nostalgia.

So fucking high on their horses.

Yes, I do want to spam LFG instead of pushing a button. It's called community interaction. The LFG and LFR system killed it.

To be honest I don't. I know i'm in a minority here, but I really want servers that start at vanilla and progress through the expansions, but I want all the quality of life improvements from over the years.

People hate on things like map markers, but all we used to do was look up on thottbot and go to exact coords with a mod anyway. Other things like the tooltip showing if a mob was one you needed to kill was something that came from mods in the past. LFG is much maligned but I honestly wouldn't want to go back to waiting in ironforge for an hour for a group, then trying to run all the way to SM only to have someone quit right as you start and then starting all over.

There are so many other little things too, like quest items being used from the tracker, mounts not being tied to physical items forever, etc.

I'd love if Blizz made servers that were vanilla but kept all those changes, but again I know everyone else here doesn't want that.

Top Bottom