• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Data suggests PS5 outsold Xbox S|X at 2:1

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-has-outsold-xbox-series-x-s-2-1-data-suggests/

PlayStation 5 had outsold Xbox Series X/S by around 2-to-1 as of the end of 2023, according to data shared by Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two.

In an investor presentation released on Thursday alongside its quarterly financial results, the company said 77 million current-gen consoles had been sold as of December 31, 2023.

Representing combined PS5 and Xbox Series X/S sales, the data was sourced from one of (or a combination of) research firms IDG Consulting and Newzoo, and the Entertainment Software Association.

Sony’s and Microsoft’s consoles launched in November 2020. While Microsoft hasn’t confirmed exact sales numbers for Xbox Series X/S, PS5 surpassed 50 million sales on December 9, 2023, according to Sony.

diffusionx

Gold Member
On the face of it, this is similar to what happened last gen, but it seems like a lot of the Xbox sales were Series S when it was the only thing on store shelves, and it looks like people are swapping those out for PS5s. The ratio these days with both readily available is like 3:1 if not higher.

Topher

Gold Member
Where is the 2:1 coming from? I see where it says 77 million consoles, but I don't see where it is being broken down any further than that. Isn't Switch a Gen 9 console as well?

take-two-earnings-slide.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Where is the 2:1 coming from? I see where it says 77 million consoles, but I don't see where it is being broken down any further than that. Isn't Switch a Gen 9 console as well?

take-two-earnings-slide.jpg
I think they've used the 77M and subtracted the known PS5 sales figure to get xbox sales. If switch was considered gen 9 it would be much higher than 77M total consoles no?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think they've used the 77M and subtracted the known PS5 sales figure to get xbox sales. If switch was considered gen 9 it would be much higher than 77M total consoles no?

Yeah.....think you are right. So guess we have to assume Take Two isn't including Switch there. So that 2:1 isn't coming from Take Two at all. Just VGC using different sets of numbers. Ok...

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah.....think you are right. So guess we have to assume Take Two isn't including Switch there. So that 2:1 isn't coming from Take Two at all. Just VGC using different sets of numbers. Ok...
How many take 2 games get released on the Switch?

I would think they won't bother including a platform they don't really support.

And I think the real takeaway here is that it sheds more light on just how many XS consoles have been sold in the last 3 years. Xbox has sold an average of 7M/year.
They are saying 3 to 1 here:

"New data reveals that the PlayStation 5 outsold the Xbox Series X/S by three to one in 2023, with Black Friday proving to be an enormous success for Sony."

That's just in 2023, T2 data is covering LTD.

Last edited:

Humdinger

"New data reveals that the PlayStation 5 outsold the Xbox Series X/S by three to one in 2023, with Black Friday proving to be an enormous success for Sony."

"Data analysts Ampere found that PS5 sales grew by 65% to 22.5 million units this year. Xbox sales fell by about 15% to 7.6 million, with the PS5 therefore outselling the Series X/S by around three to one."

Last edited:

onQ123

Funny because a year ago we had people claiming Xbox Series was at 23 million lol

IQDItWI.png

yurinka

The problem is the known PS5 sales (50M sold trough) don't include most December sales because are as of December 9th.

We know PS5 was on track to outsell launch aligned the PS4 during December, and PS4 ended Dececmber with 53.4M sold through. So at the end of December PS5 must have more than 53.4M.

If I had to bet, I'd say PS5 ended somewhere slightly above 55M sold through at the end of December, so 22M for Xbox. The difference should be around 2.5:1

"Data analysts Ampere found that PS5 sales grew by 65% to 22.5 million units this year. Xbox sales fell by about 15% to 7.6 million, with the PS5 therefore outselling the Series X/S by around three to one."

Different numbers. Ampere is talking only sales during 2023, while Take 2 mentions sales during the whole generation.

If the Ampere data is accurate then during the generation the difference is 2.5:1, and during 2023 the difference grew to 3:1 even if MS acquired ABK and with Bethesda they Starfailed.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

soon it will be 3:1, as far as i know, xbox died in europe market, i guess "majority" of these numbers coming from US and UK.
Based on last year the 3:1 trend has already begun. And chances are this year it does even worse than it did last year. So this year could be like 4:1.

Kacho

Isn't Switch a Gen 9 console as well?
Depends on who you ask. Some consider Switch a gen 8 console because it's "weak" as if power somehow determines what generation a device falls under. But with Wii U being a gen 8 console, that would mean Nintendo put out two gen 8 consoles? It makes absolutely zero sense.

There are also some who don't consider it a console because it's a hybrid. People love to overcomplicate things.

Ar¢tos

On the face of it, this is similar to what happened last gen, but it seems like a lot of the Xbox sales were Series S when it was the only thing on store shelves, and it looks like people are swapping those out for PS5s. The ratio these days with both readily available is like 3:1 if not higher.
I just did a quick probe of the used market here and it seems sales are slow for both atm (using lowest used price to assess potential sales rate of new ones), maybe when March games release it will pick up again, at least for Playstation, Xbox is harder to sell in Portugal.
Used XSX 1TB still in warranty period are going for 280€ minimum , used PS5 digital still in the warranty period are going for 330€ minimum.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Based on last year the 3:1 trend has already begun. And chances are this year it does even worse than it did last year. So this year could be like 4:1.
if next week they announce all xbox games are coming to other consoles it could be 4:1 sooner than we think

I can only imagine the chasm if the PS5 didn't spend the first two years being a hope and a prayer trying to find one. The Series S IIRC was fairly easy to find on a shelf or online in 2021 so that formed the foundation of Xbox's current gen base. Not hard to see why they're pivoting to all-digital, but the longer term issue is the S is their development base instead of the X.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Nope, not quite there.

No, they are saying "Around" 3:1 and the article in this post is saying near 3:1 but not quite there apparently, closer to the realm of 2:1

The number is probably closer to 23m to 54m, slightly better than a 25m to 50m 2:1 ratio.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-has-outsold-xbox-series-x-s-2-1-data-suggests/

PlayStation 5 had outsold Xbox Series X/S by around 2-to-1 as of the end of 2023, according to data shared by Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two.

In an investor presentation released on Thursday alongside its quarterly financial results, the company said 77 million current-gen consoles had been sold as of December 31, 2023.

Representing combined PS5 and Xbox Series X/S sales, the data was sourced from one of (or a combination of) research firms IDG Consulting and Newzoo, and the Entertainment Software Association.

Sony’s and Microsoft’s consoles launched in November 2020. While Microsoft hasn’t confirmed exact sales numbers for Xbox Series X/S, PS5 surpassed 50 million sales on December 9, 2023, according to Sony.
I mean 2 to 1 is pretty nebulous without solid numbers.

25 mil to 50 mil vs 40 mil to 80 mil holds different weight 🤷‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member
Nope, not quite there.

No, they are saying "Around" 3:1 and the article in this post is saying near 3:1 but not quite there apparently, closer to the realm of 2:1

The number is probably closer to 23m to 54m, slightly better than a 25m to 50m 2:1 ratio.

How is "around 3:1" closer to "the realm of 2:1"?

Nevermind. You were talking about the numbers from VGC.

Last edited:

yazenov

With the way people talk on here you would think PS5 is at 100mil already, while Series is at like 3mil or something.

Xbox sales dropped off a cliff after the stock availability of the PS5. It's not an exaggeration as the PS5 is dominating XBS in sales.

There is a reason why MS will go 3rd party by releasing their games on all platforms. Their sales tanked in 2023, which was worst than 2022. While the PS5 skyrocketed in sales in 2023 from 2022 due to solving the stock issues.

You seems a little bitter by the success of the PS5, the way you talk.

Last edited:

Sanepar

I would say end of december 53mips5 x 24mixbox

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox sales dropped off a cliff after the stock availability of the PS5. It's not an exaggeration as the PS5 is dominating XBS in sales.

There is a reason why MS will go 3rd party by releasing their games on all platforms. Their sales tanked in 2023, which was worst than 2022. While the PS5 skyrocketed in sales in 2023 from 2022 due to solvong the stock issues.

You seems a little bitter by the success of the PS5, the way you talk.
If both systems were readily available from day one, I think we would be looking at a situation similar to PS2-vs.-Xbox, which ended up being like 7:1 in the long run.

JackMcGunns

How is "around 3:1" closer to "the realm of 2:1"?

I don't know, probably a little sprinkle of hyperbole there to spice up clicks. The first part of my comment in "Quotes" is what they said in the article, even though the Headline says 2:1, and the latter part of my comment is what I believe based on the data. Make sense?

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know, probably a little sprinkle of hyperbole there to spice up clicks. The first part of my comment in "Quotes" is what they said in the article, even though the Headline says 2:1, and the latter part of my comment is what I believe based on the data. Make sense?

I was editing my reply just now. VGC's 2:1 is extrapolating data from different sources. The 3:1 number is for a single year. I don't think we have enough data to really get a firm idea on the ratio.

Mahavastu

That seems pretty mild, I was expecting 3:1 seeing all the recent rumours.
this are the lifetime sales since launch in 2020.
Until late 2022 the PS5 had huge supply problems and the XBox kept up quite well in relation.
The huge difference came since late 2022/early 2023, when Sony was able to ship consoles in high numbers, but there are already quite some Xboxes in the field from earlier years. From now on it will most likely get worse for Xbox...

The huge difference came since late 2022/early 2023, when Sony was able to ship consoles in high numbers, but there are already quite some Xboxes in the field from earlier years. From now on it will most likely get worse for Xbox...
Yeah, I imagine the sales numbers from like Xmas 2022 until now must be brutal. That holiday season was the first time I recall being able to just go on the PS webstore and order a GOW Ragnarok bundle without much fuss.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Makes sense with the supply issues. PS5 was nigh impossible to find. Xbox was difficult too but XSS was always around. It looked like an even spread. The gap increased from 2022 onward.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Isn't Switch a Gen 9 console as well?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

PS5 & Series X are 9th Gen consoles with the PS5 leading the 9th Generation.
Switch is an 8th Gen Console that's still running after the PS4 past the finishing line.
The confusion comes from the Wii U which is also a 8th Gen Console but flopped hard and was replaced by the Switch that people assume is their 9th Gen Console but it isn't.

Depends on who you ask. Some consider Switch a gen 8 console because it's "weak" as if power somehow determines what generation a device falls under. But with Wii U being a gen 8 console, that would mean Nintendo put out two gen 8 consoles? It makes absolutely zero sense.

There are also some who don't consider it a console because it's a hybrid. People love to overcomplicate things.

It's funny that you think it is other people overly complicating things. The Switch is a hybrid. Just because a new system is released doesn't mean a new generation has been kicked off. Did a new generation start with the PS4 Pro and X1X?

The PS4 and X1 were released in 2013 and the Switch was released less than 4 years later, but you think it kicked off a new generation when it couldn't even play all current-gen games? No, the Switch is 8th gen.

Kacho

It's funny that you think it is other people overly complicating things. The Switch is a hybrid. Just because a new system is released doesn't mean a new generation has been kicked off. Did a new generation start with the PS4 Pro and X1X?

The PS4 and X1 were released in 2013 and the Switch was released less than 4 years later, but you think it kicked off a new generation when it couldn't even play all current-gen games? No, the Switch is 8th gen.
^ Case in point

Top Bottom