• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2's new $15 "Starter Pack" is a bunch of junk that feels it came from a shitty mobile game

clarky

Gold Member
If we're strictly talking PvP, I'd give it to Halo easily. But Destiny offers something not seen in any other shooter. Those raids, dungeons and Grandmaster Nightfalls, Legend Campaigns from Witch Queen and even various activities are some of the best moments I've ever had gaming. People always ignore the fact that there is really nothing like Destiny on the market right now. That's why people are addicted to the game. Until another shooter can replicate something similar, Destiny isn't going anywhere.

100% Agree with you there.

Destiny is fantastic in places. Beating OG VOG first time with a bunch of randoms from LFG is one of my fondest gaming memories.

But we were talking about the PVP and campaigns specifically .

The Witch queen campaign is Decent, but lets not pretent it gets anywhere near the highs of Halo1-3.

And that joker claiming Destiny PVP bests Halo at its peak, give me a break.

And this is coming from someone who solo'd Not Forgotten.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I bet if they just released it as the "Formula 1 cosmetics pack" nobody would give a shit, but because they added other stuff, people who spend way too much time playing this game get upset that it's mediocre.

clarky

Gold Member
Halo mp has always been a slower/floaty version of Unreal Tournament that console only gamers who didn't play UT99 reminisce and they don't hold up in modern gaming especially vs the evolution of that style which is can be found in Destiny 2

As a person who actually played everything in this discussion....I'm sure.
You daring to also compare the newer 343 trash is comical.

Ridiculous is thinking the dead Infinite multiplayer offers close to as much of the experience as Destiny 2's PVP.

Coming from the company that redefined what a console FPS could be with the Halo series Destiny is nothing but a colossal step down in those areas (Campaign and PVP). I cant believe this is even up for discussion.

Forsaken and The Taken King offered a better experience in every aspect.
We can tell you haven't played Forsaken or D2 in awhile.

I never mentioned Halo Infinte, but Destiny pvp is a fucking mess and always has been, a glorious mess at times mind but as all time Arena PVP goes its not even top ten. Not even close.

Last time i checked in it was still largely the same maps and modes that it was when i dropped it. Bungie all but abandoned the PVP because there was no money in it for them. Tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Playing through Vault of Glass the first couple times was amazing, but other than that, Destiny didn’t offer jack shit that warranted me continuing after the first one. And every time I try to get into the second one, it’s a convoluted mess of diarrhea.

The story has always been complete trash. The last time I tried to get into Destiny 2 I actually watched this long video detailing all the stories leading up to some new expansion and it was a joke.

I can only imagine so many play because they’ve invested so much, they feel like they have to. That, and to the games credit, the gunplay is phenomenal.

But as a huge Factions fan, I hate the fact that this company is the one giving ND advice on Factions II. Yuck.

Destiny is possibly the worst PVP in the history of gaming. I'd legit rather play Redneck Rampage multiplayer. When I see a post somehow trying to praise it, I will generally just block the poster.

bh187-demolitionman.gif

Fucking joy-joy feelings, lmao

Dynasty8

100% Agree with you there.

Destiny is fantastic in places. Beating OG VOG first time with a bunch of randoms from LFG is one of my fondest gaming memories.

But we were talking about the PVP and campaigns specifically .

The Witch queen campaign is Decent, but lets not pretent it gets anywhere near the highs of Halo1-3.

And that joker claiming Destiny PVP bests Halo at its peak, give me a break.

And this is coming from someone who solo'd Not Forgotten.

Same with Not Forgotten...and Mountaintop...that was absolute hell to get, but was an incredible weapon prior to sunset.

Even though I've enjoyed PvP (especially close Trails and Comp matches with friends), Halo's PvP is better due to a variety of reasons. There is just simply too much ability spam and way too many available weapons and balance issues with Crucible. Still, it can still be a fun distraction to jump into after hours in PvE though.

Campaigns I'll also give to Bungie's Halo games, they're fantastic...whereas Destiny's are hit or miss depending on the expansion. My wish would be for 343 to make more hardcore end game content for Infinite. I would love to run challenging raids or dungeons, but will likely never happen. That's where Destiny truly shines.

Godot25

Banned
Halo mp has always been a slower/floaty version of Unreal Tournament that console only gamers who didn't play UT99 reminisce and they don't hold up in modern gaming especially vs the evolution of that style which is can be found in Destiny 2

As a person who actually played everything in this discussion....I'm sure.
You daring to also compare the newer 343 trash is comical.

Ridiculous is thinking the dead Infinite multiplayer offers close to as much of the experience as Destiny 2's PVP.

Forsaken and The Taken King offered a better experience in every aspect.
We can tell you haven't played Forsaken or D2 in awhile.
Mate. I was playing Destiny from The Taken King until Lightfall constantly. Only campaign I didn't play was Lightfall which was trash from what I saw. So don't bullshit me with "as a person who actually played everything in this discussion" because I played both Destiny games for more then 1,5k hours.

PvP was always mess in Destiny because at first Bungie was unwilling to balance PvE and PvP separately. Ammo economy in PvP was trash for majority of time with cheap OHK weapons and when Bungie finally figured it out (more or less), they fucked everything up with Stasis which was so bad, that I stopped playing PvP alltogether. And when Bungie finally "nerfed" Stasis, they just abandoned PvP in terms of new content. Do I really need to remind you things like Mountaintop or Not Forgotten or Redrick's Claymore which had to be sunset, because Bungie could not balance them in PvP?

If anybody with straight face will try to tell me that Bungie's PvP experience in Destiny is better then OG Halo Trilogy, they should see a doctor.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Mate. I was playing Destiny from The Taken King until Lightfall constantly. Only campaign I didn't play was Lightfall which was trash from what I saw. So don't bullshit me with "as a person who actually played everything in this discussion" because I played both Destiny games for more then 1,5k hours.

PvP was always mess in Destiny because at first Bungie was unwilling to balance PvE and PvP separately. Ammo economy in PvP was trash for majority of time with cheap OHK weapons and when Bungie finally figured it out (more or less), they fucked everything up with Stasis which was so bad, that I stopped playing PvP alltogether. And when Bungie finally "nerfed" Stasis, they just abandoned PvP in terms of new content. Do I really need to remind you things like Mountaintop or Not Forgotten or Redrick's Claymore which had to be sunset, because Bungie could not balance them in PvP?

If anybody with straight face will try to tell me that Bungie's PvP experience in Destiny is better then OG Halo Trilogy, they should see a doctor.
Destiny’s PvP problem is, and always will be, supers and abilities. It just can’t be balanced.

As you say, they were never prepared to separate PvE and PvP.

It needed a ‘grounded’ mode where abilities were removed and it was just gunplay. That could have been easily balanced.

DonF

Finally, you get 125,000 Glimmer, 50 Enhancement Cores, five Enhancement Prisms, and one Ascendant Shard for upgrading your gear.

I hate this free 2 play model shit with tons of currencies.

Imagine that shit in real life, it would be chaos!

S0ULZB0URNE

I am telling you that Destiny is the evolution of Halo.
The movement differences alone make it superior to the floaty and slo motion Halo and don't get me started on the gun play. Destiny 2 has the best controller gun play in gaming.

This imo
We can agree to disagree

Godot25

Banned
I am telling you that Destiny is the evolution of Halo.
The movement differences alone make it superior to the floaty and slo motion Halo and don't get me started on the gun play. Destiny 2 has the best controller gun play in gaming.

This imo
We can agree to disagree
You know that Destiny having one of the best gunplay (which I agree with) in FPS genre and Destiny 2 PvP being unbalanced shit are not mutually exclusive, right?

diffusionx

Gold Member
This has to be one of the most scumbag things ever in any game like this. Like, Bungie purposely set out to sell a bunch of garbage that they know is garbage and useless for the game as is, and sell it to newcomers who wouldn't know how garbage it is. Something is seriously, seriously wrong with that company to do that. It's like, three card monte tier shit.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

This is definitely not the same Bungie from the early to mid 2000s and 2010s. What a colossal change of events.

Destiny is over. Bungie should focus on marathon or whatever they have next and focus on making a solid SINGLE player experience with good coop / multiplayer akin to their earlier Halo days. But I doubt it, the industry has changed so much since then and gen z “gamers” are leading the charge wanting microtransaction bullshit and Fortnite style cartoon trash.

Top Bottom