• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil 4 Remake on iPhone 15 Pro: Can Mobile Truly Handle AAA Gaming?

Topher

Gold Member

Eurogamer article:

Resident Evil 4 on iPhone 15 Pro targets the PS4 experience - but doesn't quite hit the target
Resident Evil 4 was one of the most accomplished remakes of 2023, a modernised, bold reinterpretation of Capcom's 2005 action-horror classic. It looked great too across current-gen platforms as well as PS4, with great lighting detail and excellent art design. As the year closed out, Capcom delivered RE4's first mobile port. As a part of Apple's recent triple-A gaming push, Resident Evil 4 is now available on iPhone 15 Pro and M1 and M2 based iPads, representing the fastest of Apple's mobile hardware. So is the game hung up on performance and configuration issues like Resident Evil Village? Or is RE4 a capable conversion of the console code?

Resident Evil 4 was for the most part a current-gen console and PC experience, but Capcom also shipped the game on PS4 console systems. The visuals were mostly preserved on Sony's eighth-gen machines, but there were some notable cutbacks. Most notably, texture resolution took a big hit, and texture streaming could be pretty slow. There were a range of lighting cutbacks as well, including a reduction in the number of shadow-casting light sources, and absent screen-space reflections.

Those cutbacks need to be kept in mind, because the PS4 code proves the closest match of all the console versions for the results seen on iPhone. Unlike Resident Evil Village, RE4 doesn't have a PC-style settings menu, so we're effectively getting one basic visual experience on the platform, with some options to adjust lens distortion, depth of field and motion blur, like we saw on all console versions of the game.

The first thing that should stand out here is that the iPhone version has a very obvious blue tint for some reason. It's also much darker than the PS4 version with the default brightness and I'd recommend anyone else playing the game in SDR do the same. Textures look pretty similar for the most part between the two versions. If you look closely though, the iPhone code does feature some noticeably lower-res texture art through a lot of the game's environments. These aren't huge differences, but the world just looks a bit blurrier and less well-defined in general. Curiously, a lot of the same issues with texture loading were seen on PS4, despite the iPhone's much faster storage.

Looking through the environment, there are some reductions in level of detail settings between the PS4 and iOS versions. This is most noticeable on smaller incidental objects and there are also some very obvious reductions in foliage density. Treelines look pretty similar, but patches of grass and bushes are less thick on the iPhone than PS4. A lot of the lighting is pretty similar across the two games. Primarily, this is closely related to how the lighting in RE4 works in general, as it features a lot of baked lighting that translates similarly across the two platforms. Screen-space reflections are also absent, although as those familiar with the RE Engine SSR can attest, this is probably a good thing for the game's visuals overall. On the plus side, volumetrics do return, though resolution has taken a small hit relative to the PS4.

Looking at shadows, the actual resolution in most scenes isn't particularly impressive, though a quick glance at the PS4 code reveals a very similar shadow res on that platform. The primary issue here I think is the dither pattern that's used to give an impression of shadow softness. On the PS4 it looks acceptably fine-grained, but on iPhone it looks very coarse and unconvincing. I think this may be related to the very low internal resolution of the iPhone version - as there are certain aspects the MetalFX AI upscaler has trouble working with.

Post-processing also takes a hit. Looking through some of the more action-packed cutscene sequences, the motion blur looks pretty rough and undersampled at times, though I think again that this may be related to the lower internal resolution on iPhone. Depth of field isn't as obvious, and can exhibit some pretty nasty artifacts around character edges. These effects don't really carry the same cinematic flair that we see on PS4, though I think on the smaller iPhone screen they mostly look okay. In terms of general visual settings, the iPhone code measures up just fine relative to PS4. No, it's not offering the exact same visual experience as we'd see on console, but you are getting similar enough underlying settings that it still looks very much like Resident Evil 4. This is far better than what you'd expect from a Switch port of this game, for instance.

Image quality is probably the biggest sore spot though. The PS4 code, for its part, looks pretty good, with a 900p image combined with TAA for a fairly smooth and detailed final resolve. By last-gen standards, image quality is perfectly reasonable on that platform. The iPhone just doesn't hold up well by comparison. The game tends to have a lot of 'salt-and-pepper' disocclusion artifacts all over the screen at times. Almost any time there's substantial movement in the frame, these issues are noticeable, especially around Leon's hair and in foliage elements.

I think it's all about the resolution. I counted a resolution of roughly 300p across several shots, which I suspect is being upscaled to something in the region of 720p using MetalFX's machine learning based temporal upscaler. Going back to Resident Evil Village on iPhone, there are similar levels of break-up, it's just less obvious in general because of the first-person camera, and because of the general lack of foliage in Village.

To be fair, in still shots the game's image coheres surprisingly well for a game that operates at these kinds of internal resolutions. Interior areas fare best, where minimal alpha effects result in fewer artefacts. Considering the performance savings and the smaller iPhone screen used to navigate the game, I don't really think this is that bad of a solution, though it would have been better to combine MetalFX with higher-resolution rendering to get a truly stable and consistently good-looking final result. Upsampling solutions just don't tend to work well when they have to work with so few pixels.

Clearly, the low internal resolution is about preserving and maintaining performance, where Capcom targets 30 frames per second. Throughout typical combat and exploration, the game does hit the target, but there are some pretty big issues. Firstly, frame-pacing is incorrect, similar to many 30fps iOS games. It's not horrible here - Resident Evil 4 fluctuates between 33ms and 16 ms every so often, with a steady beat of 33 millisecond frames in between. It's annoying, but not a dealbreaker. However, in addition to that, there are some occasional very heavy frame-rate drops that seem to come out of nowhere, where the game becomes a bit of a slideshow for a few seconds. These aren't terribly frequent - occurring maybe once every five or 10 minutes - but they do bring you out of the experience.

I also noticed a couple of lengthy stutters during gameplay along with more conventional performance problems as well, as the game struggles to maintain its 30fps target in some moments. The frame-times aren't wildly out of bounds here, it's just that the game is on the edge of maintaining 30fps and just can't quite get there. Resident Evil 4 isn't a great performer by any means, but it does fare quite a bit better than Resident Evil Village on iPhone. That suffered from prolonged frame-rate dives during typical gameplay, even when running on the lowest settings - something that subsequent patches never addressed.

For reference, the PS4 release ran Resident Evil 4 with an unlocked framerate that ran from 30 to 60fps in typical play. It wasn't ideal, but it does feel smoother than the iPhone code - and its frame-times tend to be more under control than the iPhone. PS4 did use reduced-rate animation on enemy characters when facing large groups of foes, however, a concession that the iPhone doesn't employ. Additionally, loading times are another win for Apple's smartphone. A load that takes roughly 40 seconds on PS4 completes in just seven seconds or so on iPhone, a gain probably attributable to the iPhone's advanced CPU and fast flash storage. On mobile platforms, every second counts, and the iPhone generally fares quite well when loading saves in RE4.

The controls are a bit of a mixed bag. On the plus side, the game supports both Xbox Series and PS5 pads without issue, and there's even a toggle to swap button layouts between the PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo styles. Rumble works fine and all the buttons function normally. Input lag is an issue though - I measured about 200ms input lag here when connected to a Bluetooth controller, and the game has a pretty heavy feel in general. It's not unplayable, but it never really feels responsive.

I'd recommend against trying to play this game without a gamepad, because the touch controls are very barebones. The game presents every single button on the screen at all times, which makes it pretty tough to control. The best adapted iPhone games use context-sensitive controls, like the GTA Definitive Editions, with buttons only popping up as needed or serving dual purposes depending on the situation. Simply overlaying a modern gamepad layout across the majority of the screen is not a particularly effective solution.

Summing up, there is progress here. Resident Evil 4 on iPhone is definitely an improvement over Village. Users don't have to fiddle around with complex and crash-inducing visual settings, and the game actually runs acceptably for the most part, with a somewhat unsteady, but reasonably performant 30fps update. This is a better-configured game than Village - and Village's unique performance gremlins don't seem present here - but I think expectations for Apple's triple-A gaming push are a bit higher.

Outside of the three games I've reviewed recently on iPhone - RE Village, the GTA Definitive Editions, and of course RE4 - there's not too much like this game on iOS. Visually speaking, the closest title I've played might be Wreckfest, a last-gen racer that can hit 60fps on iPhone 15 Pro, or Genshin Impact. But excepting those games, the most sophisticated iPhone software is roughly at an Xbox 360/PS3 level of basic visual fidelity or below, so it's hard to judge exactly what we should expect from a title like RE4 that essentially amounts to a PS4 port.

I'm inclined to think that a closer 30fps lock should be at least achievable in these kinds of games, while maintaining decent image quality and settings. Upcoming Apple Silicon titles - most notably Death Stranding and Assassin's Creed Mirage - will put this to the test, and I hope we will see a truly polished last-gen iOS port in 2024. But so far, the results have been more mixed, with better results on the visual front than in performance. Resident Evil 4 is at least good enough that I think it makes for a reasonable mobile experience, as long as you keep hopes in check. You'll have to tolerate substantial performance issues and a sometimes messy image, but this is still Resident Evil 4 on the go, and it looks decent and doesn't crash. It just lacks the performance and visual consistency that a lot of players expect.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I wanna try this but only got the basic bitch iPhone 15. How does it compare to the Pro and Pro Max in gaming?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
tl;dw
runs and looks like shit, but it's an interesting option if you don't have anything else to play on.
Which would be strange to me. If you can buy a 1200-dollar phone you could surely pick up a console and have a superior experience. I don't think many casuals who just want fun low-effort mobile games are going to buy this.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Which would be strange to me. If you can buy a 1200-dollar phone you could surely pick up a console and have a superior experience. I don't think many casuals who just want fun low-effort mobile games are going to buy this.
In the US at least a lot of people get these phones subsidised, so they just pay for it monthly instead of a big immediate purchase.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Minsc

Gold Member
Terrible advice. Well, at least if credit cards have ridiculous interest rates in the US like we do in the UK.

Well, yes, you also need to use a payment plan on the purchase to not get any crazy interest. Most cards let you do this. You pay a fee to do so, but at worst it would turn the 10 payments in to 12 or so.

Lots of places like Best Buy offer 0% financing though for 24 months. So that's probably a better option.

Zathalus

That's on a mobile phone.. thats fits in your pocket with no active cooling! :messenger_astonished:

I understand why you guys are scared. This has lit the fuse for gaming consoles death. Now the question is...

Just how long is that fuse?
Oh please, it can't even match a console launched over 10 years ago. Mobile gaming will continue to dominate but not because of games like this. Gatcha and F2P are the mobile games of choice and anyone wanting actual good gaming experiences go to console and PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh please, it can't even match a console launched over 10 years ago. Mobile gaming will continue to dominate but not because of games like this. Gatcha and F2P are the mobile games of choice and anyone wanting actual good gaming experiences go to console and PC.
Phones jump in performance every year. This is just a taste of whats possible and its a pretty damn good first outing for capcom for again a tiny mobile device with no active cooling.

The question I have is why are you guys not acknowledging that fact in a tech thread? It is pretty amazing. I admit I threw in the console death thing as a troll because its so funny seeing you guys scared instead a looking at it for what it is.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Phones jump in performance every year.
lol everything jumps in performance every year, but dedicated machines are so far ahead in performance compared to mobile spec, that it doesn't matter how many years it takes to release a new console because you can't circumvent physics; mobile devices are bound to their TDP and no amount of "performance increase" is going to stop them from being bound.
So even if we take a look to the future a decade from now, at an "iPhone 26 max ultra pro", there's no such thing as "magic" when it comes to transistors, physics dictate it still won't perform better than a PS5.

Zathalus

Phones jump in performance every year. This is just a taste of whats possible and its a pretty damn good first outing for capcom for again a tiny mobile device with no active cooling.

The question I have is why are you guys not acknowledging that fact in a tech thread? It is pretty amazing. I admit I threw in the console death thing as a troll because its so funny seeing you guys scared instead a looking at it for what it is.
I'm not scared of anything. Yes phones are getting more powerful but the exact same power increase applies to consoles and PCs.

Bojji

If rumored switch 2 is around PS4 in power it isn't bad at all compared to IPhone that performs much worse.

300p internal res, lol

PS4 version would look amazing on 1080p OLED screen of NSW2.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's on a mobile phone.. thats fits in your pocket with no active cooling! :messenger_astonished:

I understand why you guys are scared. This has lit the fuse for gaming consoles death. Now the question is...

Yeah, because even the article mentions the controls suck ass. So good luck sticking a comfortable bluetooth controller in there too and holding the phone in one hand and the controller in the other.

Mobile gaming has shown for decades that it wants shit all to do with console gaming.

I have one word for you:

Gacha.

There's your mobile audience.

Minsc

Gold Member
If rumored switch 2 is around PS4 in power it isn't bad at all compared to IPhone that performs much worse.

300p internal res, lol

PS4 version would look amazing on 1080p OLED screen of NSW2.

If there were a Switch port of RE4, I'd wager emulating it on the iPhone would be better than playing it native lol.

I can't imagine more than a few iPhone games that are better than even modest Switch games visually.

Bojji

If there were a Switch port of RE4, I'd wager emulating it on the iPhone would be better than playing it native lol.

I can't imagine more than a few iPhone games that are better than even modest Switch games visually.

Swich 1 should get Wii port instead hahaha.

But Switch 2 will have that PS4+ quality thanks to DLSS.

Kumomeme

it probably could run bit better if the hardware not constrained by heat and battery consumption.

im suprise Apple didnt even try to make their own dedicated mobile gaming handheld device with same SoC that even run same OS+ better battery and active cooling. the SoC also nearly identical with the one on their laptops. no need to go alway try to compete with Steam Deck or other device like Legion Go out there. just something for casual mobile games player and perhaps later it would tempted more company trying to port their AAA game like Capcom did with RE4. it could even pushed mobile smartphone SoC maker to make stronger hardware. paired with reasonable price it could sold well but knowing Apple, it gonna be crazy expensive but sheeps still gonna buy it anyway.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Some people sold this as better than current grn consoles at the announcement. Turns out it was overhyped to death so why would you acknowledge anything. The apple hype and marketing is always the most ridiculous of its kind.

RaduN

If they released these games on android, with the current (and even last gen) Snapdragon Socs, it'd run so much better imo.
There are switch emulators already, that run as good or better than the actual switch on years old android phones.

As good as latest iPhones are on paper and in tests, there something really wrong with the design (beyond thermal throttling) that makes them real shitty in gaming.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Bro, we see in the vid it dips below 15fps at times, and it has settings/res visibly reduced even vs over 10yo and weak af by now ps4, and like it wasnt enough- it even has huge delay in controls, think like u would be playing with massive lag online =D
They tested on iPhone pro. I have a iPhone pro max which has a better processor.

PeteBull

They tested on iPhone pro. I have a iPhone pro max which has a better processor.
20% more power, so dips to 15fps turn into 18fps dips, same 720p res and settings visibly below even base ps4 still there, more power to u if u enjoy it.
Back in the days we all loved ocarina of time that ran constantly at 20fps and majora's mask that ran even worse- but instead of saying it runs "fine" lets simply use more specific terms, aka framerate is 20% better but graphics arent improved at all, and same 200ms delay when it comes to controls is still there.
For most of us who either play on current gen console or on at least somewhat modern/midrange pc rig- thats far from fine, its actually well below what we had to deal with even 10years ago, just stating facts here, no hate :)

Mahavastu

Oh please, it can't even match a console launched over 10 years ago.
If they are using the "game porting toolkit" Apple revealed a few months ago, the game also runs most of a windows emulator (wine) in the background, very similar to the steam deck which runs Linux with the same emulator.
I assume this will cost performance compared to run the game native, but it reduces the effort to port the game...

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Even if we somehow ignore the huge heat issue there’s still the problem of battery life multiplied by humongous iOS running on top of every game. Every mobile SOC is a huge power-hog under even the reasonable load.

I have no doubt that Apple Silicon is powerful enough to beat basically 13 yo value notebook tech from PS4 era. All 15 minutes before the battery will drain out.

There is also kinda chicken and egg problem of mobile controls. iPads are powerful enough to afford consoles-level games for years, yet it simply a hundred times easier to buy a dedicated gaming device like NSW or Deck.

Mooreberg

Credit cards exist. Make your $300 purchase, then pay it off at $30 a month.

Outside of instances where a retailer runs a promotion, like Best Buy offering 24 month financing on TV purchase made through a new Best Buy credit card, these are not interest free.

Carriers pretty much offer billions in free financing to get people on the hook for more expensive data plans for 24, 30, or 36 months. Games like RE4 and RE8 help nudge people towards paying the phone off earlier if they are on a longer term commitment. The battery isn't gonna be what it was if you spend significant time running higher end applications.

//DEVIL//

300p res.... 1200$ phone... JFC.

Switch 2 for 400$ will probably look better than this with its dlss 3.5 on.

I get it apple tax and all and complete phones and functions. but in terms of SOC? wtf, this is not impressive at all.

StereoVsn

300p res.... 1200$ phone... JFC.

Switch 2 for 400$ will probably look better than this with its dlss 3.5 on.

I get it apple tax and all and complete phones and functions. but in terms of SOC? wtf, this is not impressive at all.
Flagship phones have flagship prices. Apple, Samsung and even most Chinese vendors all charge over $1K for this stuff.

None of them are meant truly for gaming heavy titles like this one without throttling. You can get something like Redmagic 9 that just came out, which has an active fan and runs less vs flagships if one must have a gaming phone.

Flagships mean high margins plus high end camera components, expensive SoCs, top notch screens and so on. It’s just not a device meant for sustained gaming.

I did try out RE4 on my Pro Max and yeah, it’s kind of shit, lol. Even if it wasn’t, I use my phone for other things and wouldn’t kill my battery playing this game. That’s what Ally or Steam Deck or Switch are for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom