• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sonic Collection for GC have everything that SS Sonic Jam has?

I have Sonic Jam for Sega Saturn, love it... Sonic 1-4, plus the sonic 3d world with museums... (still wish they woulda used this engine to make a 3d sonic game.. woulda been even better than sonic adventure 1-2-heroes)...

does sonic collection for gamecube feature all that? i know it has the main games, and then like a couple other games like dr robotnik's puzzle game.. but does it have all the museum content (ie: sound files, history stuff, artwork, etc?)

eventually ill have to get a gamecube for sonic DX, better version of Sonic 2, Sonic Heroes, and sonic collection, as well as billy hatcher and PSO Ep 3... but for now, i am just curious if i am missing out on anything by not having sonic collection while I do have sonic jam... or maybe sonic jam is better?

seriously, if you have a gamecube, sonic collection is all you need to have some great gaming... sonic 1-4 are amazing... the replayabliity of sonic 2 alone will last you years.

Mairu

LuckyBrand said:
does sonic collection for gamecube feature all that? i know it has the main games, and then like a couple other games like dr robotnik's puzzle game.. but does it have all the museum content (ie: sound files, history stuff, artwork, etc?)
No. No 3d overworld and none of the history bits. The extras it features are Ristar, Blue Sphere (the sonic 3(?) emerald game thing), and Robotniks Mean Bean Machine (I think that's it). It also has covers to the sonic comics.

Sonic Jam is better

Alcibiades

LuckyBrand said:
I have Sonic Jam for Sega Saturn, love it... Sonic 1-4, plus the sonic 3d world with museums... (still wish they woulda used this engine to make a 3d sonic game.. woulda been even better than sonic adventure 1-2-heroes)...

eventually ill have to get a gamecube for sonic DX, better version of Sonic 2, Sonic Heroes, and sonic collection, as well as billy hatcher and PSO Ep 3... but for now, i am just curious if i am missing out on anything by not having sonic collection while I do have sonic jam... or maybe sonic jam is better?

seriously, if you have a gamecube, sonic collection is all you need to have some great gaming... sonic 1-4 are amazing... the replayabliity of sonic 2 alone will last you years.

dude you are a very cool guy all those games you listed are pretty cool, I'm a Sonic Team fan too, I hope they continue GCN support...

I own Billy Hatcher and Sonic Mega Collection... :) (but I plan to at some point have some of those games you listed...)

all of them are at Player's Choice price except Episode III (I saw Sonic DX for $20 at Target with that Player's Choice yellow)...

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
The Japanese version of Sonic Mega Collection even goes beyond the U.S. version, by adding 2 more additional unlockable games: Comix Zone and The Ooze.

I bet those 2 games, plus all 12 Game Gear games content from Sonic Adventure DX, will find their way into Sonic Mega Collection Plus on PS2.

Rlan

Sonic Mega Collection features more GAMES than Sonic Jam, but is missing a fair bit.

SMC doesn't includ ethe 3D overworld, which was really a test for 3D Sonic. It doesn't include all of the images from Sonic Jam collection, and doesn't include the in-depth Museum of Sonic Merchendise. It doesn't include any of the Japanese Adverts either.

Instead we're given some of the new FMV from SA2 Battle, and a 'history of Sonic' video, which isn't much. Theres also a trailer of Sonic Advance 2 [before it came out]. Most of the art is from the SA series rather than the older artwork. It also includes the whole series ofcover art for the Sonic Comic, and the 'Sonic 1sts' comic, I think [it's a full comign of something]

SMC includes Sonic 1-K, including the S2+K and Blue Speres [but these have to be unlocked stupidly by entering and getting out of a game numerous times], and also includes Sonic 3D, Dr. Robotniks Mean bean Machine, Spinball, Ristar, and Flicky. The Japanese Verion also includes 'The Ooze' and 'Comic Zone'. Unfotunately, these are just emulated, so no special 'Spindash in Sonic 1' mode I'm afraid.

Sonic Mega Collection + is coming out for PS2 soon-ish. It's been announced, and some pictures have been seen:

photo08.jpg

What else it includes is currently a mystery.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kumiko Nikaido said:
The Japanese version of Sonic Mega Collection even goes beyond the U.S. version, by adding 2 more additional unlockable games: Comix Zone and The Ooze.

I bet those 2 games, plus all 12 Game Gear games content from Sonic Adventure DX, will find their way into Sonic Mega Collection Plus on PS2.

Holy shit! Import! Guess I'll wait and see what's on the PS2 version, but damn! I love Comix Zone.

Cafeman

I recently got Sonic Mega Collection for my Cube. I've owned Sonic Jam since its USA release and I played it a lot. But it's nice having SMC too.

Ristar has always been a longtime favorite of mine, I'm glad it was put on this collection (but why do you have to go through such tedium to unlock it??). I remember in the late 90's when Ristar was rediscovered through Gaming Age's board (and other game related boards that have faded away). Little by little the game started getting word of mouth and talked about more. Then we discovered that Sonic team members worked on the game (indeed, you can see the NiGHTS influence in the soundtrack -- same composer!). Then ECM put a big Graveyard page about Ristar in Gamefan. Ristar was a toy capsule to be found in Shenmue, too. But Ristar tanked back when it was released, I feel the internet Sega community is directly responsible for getting word out about this once invisible game (it was just released at the wrong time).

Hey, check out the Sonic CD opening cartoon in Mega Collection. It runs full-screen with many more frames of animation than seen on the original Sega CD version. Very cool.

BuddyC

I had Ristar back on my Game Gear, and I got SMC just for it after I spent years trying to find the Genesis version, to no avail. Ristar warms my heart.

Musashi Wins! said:
Holy shit! Import! Guess I'll wait and see what's on the PS2 version, but damn! I love Comix Zone.

I think he's wrong about it being in addition to Ristar and Flicky, though. I'm pretty sure each region has exclusive unlockable games, which is really too bad. :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
BuddyChrist83 said:
I had Ristar back on my Game Gear, and I got SMC just for it after I spent years trying to find the Genesis version, to no avail. Ristar warms my heart.
Ha ha same here.

OMG, what game gear sonics will be included?!?!

man, i really wanted a GC so i could get mega collection, DX and billy hatcher..

but if mega collection + has all the game gear games, i'd rather just get a PS2 I guess!

so confused

FightyF

Banned
Collection isn't that bad...but like it was mentioned, you may want the PS2 one. I'm not a a fan of the 3D Sonic games at all (though I'm a huge Sonic fan).

Speaking of Sonic CD, I have the PC version, but I'd really like to get the Japanese Sega CD version (because the sound track is lovely). I'd also like to get Sonic Jam as well, JUST to play the 3D museum thingy.

LB, it comes down to this...do you want to play DX and Billy Hatcher more than the Game Gear renditions of the games? :)

Xizk

I had Ristar on my mega drive and it was one of my favorite games that I owned for the system. Sold it a few years ago so I'm thinking of picking up smc so I can play it and the sonic games again.

FightyF

Banned
Also consider that you may like the GC digital pad more than the PS2s? I know that I can't stand the PS2's, and I can't stand the GCs either. I can't stand the first large Xbox one either, but the Controller-S is great.

I have Ristar here for my game gear somewhere..

i really want billy hatcher.. but playing the old game gear games would be a fun nostalgic trip...

i really loved some of them.. particularly Sonic Labryth, Sonic Blast, Sonic Drift 2 (<--- before Mario Kart!)..

never got to play some of the others, which I hear were really good.. such as sonic triple trouble, and sonic + tails..

sonic1+2 on game gear I thought were shite.. the master system games on the small screen just did not work.. they needed to maek the games specifically for the game gear..

i cant even imagine what other games they'd put on there from the game gear... nobody has a list or anything?

hmmm.. for some reason I thought sonic drift came out before mario kart.. i swear it said it on some sonic website i was just on...

bitch.

Shoryuken

LuckyBrand said:
I have Ristar here for my game gear somewhere..

i really want billy hatcher.. but playing the old game gear games would be a fun nostalgic trip...

i really loved some of them.. particularly Sonic Labryth, Sonic Blast, Sonic Drift 2 (<--- before Mario Kart!)..

never got to play some of the others, which I hear were really good.. such as sonic triple trouble, and sonic + tails..

sonic1+2 on game gear I thought were shite.. the master system games on the small screen just did not work.. they needed to maek the games specifically for the game gear..

i cant even imagine what other games they'd put on there from the game gear... nobody has a list or anything?

The gamegear games people are referring to are the ones that were first unlockable in Sonic Adventure DX. Including: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Macine, Sonic Blast, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift 1 and 2, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Hedgehog 1 and 2 (GG), Sonic Triple Trouble, Tails Sky Patrol and Tails Adventure.

Based on what you've been saying in this thread and based on what games you want to play, I don't think you can go wrong with the Cube. The only difference maker I can see is if the PS2 version of Mega Collection gets Sonic CD, Sonic R or something along those lines.

Cafeman

I just got done playing several levels of Ristar, thanks to this thread. I played on SMC. Even though I have Ristar on the Genesis, the Cube compilation is running at twice the resolution it seems using my S-video port. So even though its the same game, it just looks much more clear. I love the music after each boss when Ristar is flying to the next planet -- it is much like NiGHTS!

i dunno man... the definitive sonic collection vs billy hatcher essentially..

dunno what ill do...

wish those fucks at sonic team would release sonic mega collection for xbox too... why not?!?! would it be THAT hard?! they could easily throw the sonic CD from pc onto the collection too, and Sonic R from pc too!!! gosh damn it would be so awesome... Sonic R would be a deal maker, i loved that game.

FightyF

Banned
LB: Well, I also have all the Sonic games I own on the Xbox as well...guess how :)

But I don't own the GG versions...I haven't bothered checking them out.

A port of SMC wouldn't be too hard. I don't know why SEGA is afraid to milk these old games for all it's worth. A PC port would make sense too.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You can get most of those sonic games for really cheap now on GC, and I'm sure you'd find other reasons to justify your purchase. It is true though that basically some of the better games are getting moved over to PS2 in some version or other (Viewtiful, Super Monkey Ball, SMC). But at least you would have access to Metroid Prime, RE4 and the next Zelda. Also, I love love Sega too, but I wouldn't buy for Billy Hatcher or SA DX as both are extremely dissapointing.

I think I Am just going to hook up my sega saturn for now, so i can get my sonic fix..

sonic 1-4 on genesis are my favorites basically anyways... dont get me wrong, i enjoyed Sonic CD alot, but I actually preferred the route they went on the genesis ones better... and then I can also play 3d blast and sonic r wtih the saturn, too.

that 3d museum was so exciting back in the day... the graphcis in it were amazing, in some ways better than mario 64.. but obviously not as clean looking.. wish they would have put more little "games" in it to complete...

also wish the loadtimes for Sonc 3d Blast werent so horrible...

Top Bottom