• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does the present-say EGM have anything left from its beginnings?

john tv

Me, Crispin and Shoe were all hired within 2-3 weeks of each other back in March/April 1996. Joe Funk hired all three of us, though Cris and Shoe were for EGM, and I was for another mag that disappeared less than a year later. After that, I moved over to EGM (1997).

Cris and Shoe are the two longest-running full-time EGM guys, now that CJ is gone.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:
Me, Crispin and Shoe were all hired within 2-3 weeks of each other back in March/April 1996. Joe Funk hired all three of us, though Cris and Shoe were for EGM, and I was for another mag that disappeared less than a year later. After that, I moved over to EGM (1997).

Cris and Shoe are the two longest-running full-time EGM guys, now that CJ is gone.

What name do you use in EGM?

MASB

SuperPac said:
For anyone interested in some old EGM history-type stuff, I've just started up a blog which will reveal a lot about the old days as I get around to typing things in. Right now it mainly centers on my experience when I first got hired... but I'm working on something about Sushi-X right now, and there's much more to come. Oh yes... *much* more.

-CJ
*bookmarks site*

EGM sounds like it was a great place to work at back then. ;)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
My complaint about modern EGM is that the actual game coverage is minimal. Aside from a hype-fest for a big release (Enter the Matrix, anyone?), the in-depth previews are non-existent. The reviews are cursory at best. The editorial content/debate has been scaled back. If anything, the outdated news and trick sections should disappear.

XBN, on the other hand, features a significantly better design, real previews and substantive reviews. Even their tangential game coverage is typically more interesting. They also have interviews with game industry figures, rather than B-list celebrities. It's a better conceived and executed game magazine in all respects.

mattx5

Damn, the tale of Sushi X isn't as glamorous as I thought it would be. It's so...... sad. Here's hoping that the dark ninja will return some day.

:p Chris, are you planning on writing about how you got your job at EGM again in '97? I'd love to hear about that :) Any funny stories about the rest of the crew?

Edit-

http://www.shawnimals.com/

It seems Shawn Smith's doing pretty well for himself as well. Is he doing some freelance illustration work on the side?

Edit 2 - It seems so. At least he seems happy with what he's doing :)

I didn't really get into EGM until late 97/ early 98 anyway, but I've loved the mag ever since. I do think the new design is pretty generic and confusing (though not as bad as something like... GamePro or anything) but I believe in what they say usually.

By the way John, you've always been my fav editor over there, really. I remember you were the only cared how truly dissapointing and frivolous Yoshi's Story was.

SuperPac

mattx5 said:
:p Chris, are you planning on writing about how you got your job at EGM again in '97? I'd love to hear about that :) Any funny stories about the rest of the crew?

Yes, definitely.

Disco Stu said:
Seth C said:
The mantle of Sushi X has been passed to several over the years. The original Sushi, as I understand it, was Dave Halverson. This was told to me by several who worked with him, around the time Gamer's Republic launched. I do believe the most recent Sushi-X was Hsu, but I h ave no proof. You'd have to ask him, and he probably wouldn't admit it somewhere this public.
Lies.

Chris goes into detail in his blog -- which I must say was a great read particularly the first two entries about his initial experience at EGM. Never knew Ed and a lot of the crew back then were a bunch of tossers. Makes you wonder about the current crew, hmmz... Well everyone accept for Mark, John R. [edit] and Seanbaby [/edit] of course. They're pretty cool... Or are they? o_O

Can't wait for the dirt! More on Ed please Chris! ;)

mattx5

I just started reading Sewart's blog as well, good stuff.

And I honestly had no idea that Sewart was one of the founding members of Gaming Age. I remember seeing him around from time to time, but I never knew he was one of the head guys along with Jim.

Top Bottom