• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the smell of a coworker's food bother you? What about eating around workspace?

Zen Aku

My coworkers usually eat fast food or take out. I usually bring something home made. Actually got a remark yesterday from one of my coworkers what I got smelled way better than what he bought from Panda Express. Lol

Sch1sm

I don't mind, but in all jobs I've had there hasn't been a cafeteria. It's unavoidable. I'm just used to it.

norm9

Old coworker used to microwave fish for lunch. Another used to eat tuna. Another microwaved chicken. It all smells bad if you're not the one eating it.

I'd love to smell that curry smell everyday though. Delicious.

Kite

We don't have a lunchroom.
If you wanna eat you gotta do it at your desk.
I once worked at a place like this, my office-mate and I worked out a deal where we would only eat cold stuff like wraps and sandwiches in our office. Anything that had to be heated up had to be eaten outside. I'm asian, some of my lunches can smell kinda funky to non-asians so I gotta be considerate. Apparently there are heathens who can't stand the smell of kimchi fried rice :mad:

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The main reason I support capital punishment is for people who eat tuna in the workplace.

I've gotten over it. I hate when people eat in meetings, especially smelly, sloppy food and especially when they talk with their mouth open, but it's always the same people that do this, so w/e... They're weirdos. Had to just accept it and move on.

One time when I worked retail this lady was trying to buy a laptop from us but insisted in eating a Chipotle burrito in the middle of asking questions and being answered and it was DISGUSTING. Between the smells, he chewing, the food in and on her face (yes, seriously) and the big ass burrito, I felt like throwing her nasty was out. But we wanted the sale, so we didn't.

Fucking nasty. Eat that shit on your own time. I understand some people lack social skills but ugh.

Sorry for the rant lol

Dabanton

Stuff like biscuits and crisps I have no problem with, but anyone eating hot food around their workspace is a bit of a unthinking butthead really.

Luckily at work I have my own room. But others I know here have complained to management about people eating fast food at their desks or hot food with very strong aromas.

Go use the massive kitchen that's been provided.

Lunar15

Site note: I've got a big pet peeve about people bringing food into meetings. I get that there's situations where someone's in back to back meetings and they don't have time to eat, but there's something extremely disrespectful about eating while someone is talking, at least to me.

It's just one of those things that I have to accept, but since the norm is becoming to eat smaller meals more frequently, it's increasingly becoming an issue.

gwarm01

I went through a sardine phase last year and everyone hated me for it. People would come into my office just to tell me it smelled bad.

You know, sometimes in life you smell things. We're all going to get through this.

Metalgus

Banned
Some smells you can almost taste. I don't like to taste my coworker's pad thai/chow mein at 11:45am while I'm at my desk, it's distracting. We occupy four floors, each with a small kitchen and one floor even has a big cafeteria. No reason to eat at your desk, your work can wait 15-20 minutes.

But whatever, I don't like it, but I do recognize they can eat where they want, so I leave them be.

Unfortunately I work at a job where we don't get lunch breaks, so eating at our desks is mandatory. We even have microwaves and toasters spread out among our desks so people can heat up their food and still stay at their desk. You just kinda get used to it. It does kinda suck when a neighboring deskmate heats up fish, though. You can't escape that.

A coworker use to heat up sardines in the break room. Whole room, hallway and stairs would smell for the rest of the day. I like sardines, but that smell isn't something I wanted to be around all day.

azyless

Unless someone is literally cooking tripes in the break room I don't care.
Not sure what kind of fish y'all are getting if it smells bad.

MilkyJoe

I find it difficult to avoid having your food not smell once it's warmed up. What's smelly to you? An uncommon scent? Something that smells unpleasant? Who determines that?

Common sense. Girl at work thinks it's acceptable to cook smoked mackerel in the microwave, stank out the entire floor and had the janitors up investigating what stinks in the building.

I went through a sardine phase last year and everyone hated me for it. People would come into my office just to tell me it smelled bad.

You know, sometimes in life you smell things. We're all going to get through this.

Everyone at your work probably hates you

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Common sense. Girl at work thinks it's acceptable to cook smoked mackerel in the microwave, stank out the entire floor and had the janitors up investigating what stinks in the building.

Everyone at your work probably hates you

You can't just chalk up everything to "common sense." I've known people who found the most inoffensive scents offensive, ones nearly unilaterally enjoyed by everyone else in the office.

Oh crapola, double post.

MilkyJoe

You can't just chalk up everything to "common sense." I've known people who found the most inoffensive scents offensive, ones nearly unilaterally enjoyed by everyone else in the office.

Oh crapola, double post.

That doesn't really count though, I find some perfumes toxic, but enough people buy them.

If you are going to knock up a curried, octopus arsehole soup, with some boiled cabbage and garnish with Gorgonzola, then you know you'r being a dick.

There's plenty of things that people can universally agree smell a bit manky and know they are being a dick by bringing it to the office.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't really count though, I find some perfumes toxic, but enough people buy them.

If you are going to knock up a curried, octopus arsehole soup, with some boiled cabbage and garnish with Gorgonzola, then you know you'r being a dick.

There's plenty of things that people can universally agree smell a bit manky and know they are being a dick by bringing it to the office.

And I agree with that. I believe I was simply referring to anything that exudes an odor in the original post you quoted, which I don't agree with.

The smell of popcorn has always bothered me, I don't know why. I remember when Target used to have a cafeteria and you'd walk in to an overwhelming sense of old popcorn. It always made me really nauseous, to the point where all popcorn makes me nauseous. And I swear I'm like a German shepherd when it comes to this stuff. I can smell it from rooms away. I'm the dude that's always like "can you smell that?", and no one else EVER can.

The girl across from me brought in really odorous, boiled hot dogs the other day. I get nauseous from these things easily.

Motherfuckers who burn microwave popcorn

No lie, I got a frantic call from my Mom because my Dad was having chest pain and left microwave popcorn on for the whole 3 minutes once because I was distracted

Bag caught on fire, the inside of the microwave was coated in burned butter powder and oil that would not wash out of the plastic, and the inside of the office reeked of noxious fumes for 4 days. Had to leave the door open all day for the whole week, you could smell it 200 feet away in the atrium. Needless to say, I had to buy a new microwave.

Probably my most embarrassing work moment

KHlover

Banned
I've got my own room, so I just eat whatever I want and then open the windows for a few minutes. Can see how it would be annoying in semi-open cubicled though.

Almost nobody eats at the post (and this is an open office). From time to time you will catch the aroma of potato chips or a big spanish omelette if there's a birthday, but 99% of people eat at the office kitchen. And even there, most people avoid bringing fish. if somebody microwaves that, the stench is unbearable. Luckily nobody has ever brought microwave pop corn here.

The real problem we face is fridge smell from rotten abandoned food. After the last week, it was decided that anything left at the end of the week would be purged.

Doesn't bother me. Grew up smelling wet chicken/cow/horse shit. My shit stinks too. There's worse out there than popcorn. Someone wants to eat something in an office setting, be my guest, but go with the office zeitgeist and you won't make any enemies.

Slayven

No lie, I got a frantic call from my Mom because my Dad was having chest pain and left microwave popcorn on for the whole 3 minutes once because I was distracted

Bag caught on fire, the inside of the microwave was coated in burned butter powder and oil that would not wash out of the plastic, and the inside of the office reeked of noxious fumes for 4 days. Had to leave the door open all day for the whole week, you could smell it 200 feet away in the atrium. Needless to say, I had to buy a new microwave.

Probably my most embarrassing work moment

Next time take a cup of water, put half a cup of baking soda in it, microwave it inside the microwavefor 2-4 minutes. Then using the same water wipe down the inside of the microwave, do it until the smell is gone.

Learned that trick out of necessity

Yeah if its something bad like fish.

I still remember one time at my last job, one of the engineers microwaved some kind of fish in the microwave. It reeked so fucking bad and the microwave couldn't be used for about 2 weeks, even after cleaning it. Everything around the microwave also smelled.

Dont be that guy.

Reeks

Sardines everyday. My other coworker eats like a pig over a trough. Good times for someone wother misophonia.

Leynos

My pilot school used to have a contract with Korean Air so we had a bunch of Korean students. However, their building didn't have a breakroom so they would use ours.

One day I was eating in there, and noticed that everyone else had suddenly gotten up, and left. "Odd," I thought, but I got the whole dining area to myself. In came ALL of the Korean students, and the smell when they used the microwave. Oh, God, that smell. I do not exaggerate when I say that it smelled like rancid garbage. I do not understand what could possibly make that smell, but I had to leave the smell was so bad. I like kimchi, but I really don't think that was it. And this was on top of the slurping, and talking with full mouths. I am the sort that goes batty when people slurp, and generally make noises when they eat. I understand that it is cultural, but I couldn't take it.

From then on, I scheduled my lunch so as not to coincide with theirs.

I liked the Korean students, and would talk with them in the rare instances we met outside of class, but those noises, and smells...

Top Bottom