• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure console-exclusive to Ouya

Doesn't matter to me because I'll play it on PC but I just want to say that I think the method of tracking Double Fine Adventure's development has been a misstep. Because only backers get to see what's going on with the game it's basically out of sight, out of mind for the public. And I'd be willing to wager that 80% of the people who backed the game haven't looked at a single thing on the game since it was successfully funded. I mean we're all going to get the game when it releases anyway but...I think Double Fine could be building up more hype for the game by actually allowing info, screens, art out into the wild.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I backed a PC game

I expect a PC game

Do not play around with this, Schafer

I'm sure they won't. Double Fine cares about the good will of their fan base. I highly doubt they'll shit on their backers just to support some no-name Android box.

Card Boy

Banned
I personally believe Gamelofts games would fantastic for Ouya. Order & Chaos Online, Real Football, Asphalt 7, Dungeon Hunter, N. O. V. A, Gangsta and Modern Combat 4 would be killer on it. Also Shadowrun Deadzone would be awesome (and its free).

So basically you have a Halo, Diablo, COD, WoW, FIFA, Gears of War, Need for Speed and GTA clones for the system at a cheap price. I kid you not all those games i listed are actually pretty good.

Can people take back their kick start? Seems like Doublefine lied to their backers.

I don't feel lied to. I'm still getting the PC version from my ínvestment, whats the issue?

vareon

Maybe people overreacted because it said "console-exclusive" in the title? I don't know how to phrase it better though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People freaking out, please remember that Double Fine Adventure is being developed for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android as per their Kickstarter promise.

Ouya is just the first of the many Android boxes that will come. It may use its own store, but it's just going to be running Android with Tegra 3, which is certainly one of the platforms Double Fine will target.

This announcement means absolutely nothing. The game will be available on your phone at the same time it "comes out" for the Ouya.

Maybe people overreacted because it said "console-exclusive" in the title? I don't know how to phrase it better though.

"Double Fine Adventure heading to Ouya (other consoles in consideration)"

or

"Double Fine Adventure initially coming out for PC/Ouya only"

If that fits. Not sure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Already-in-progress Android version to also be released on Ouya" would probably be most fitting.

Yes, and backers who want it on console did not expect to not be the first to get the game unless they buy a new console. Double Fine's kick start has always been vague so they can do things like this.

Consoles were never stated as a clear goal for the Kickstarter, though. Some people want it for the Vita, too, but you don't get to make those demands just because you backed them on Kickstarter.

You won't have to buy a new console for this game if you already have a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device. The only reason it's coming to Ouya is because an Android version is already being made. The Ouya is simply an Android box for your TV. You could just as well hook your phone up to your TV, probably.

Wasn't the point of the Kickstarter that Double Fine couldn't make the game without people giving them money?

Clearly Ouya has no problem investing in it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good for them. So at least when the Ouya fails.. you can say.. but I can play DFA on it!!

jediyoshi

Yes, and backers who want it on console did not expect to not be the first to get the game unless they buy a new console. Double Fine's kick start has always been vague so they can do things like this.

If only they could have been more transparent about their vagueness.

The kickstarter never mentioned consoles...

I think once they went past their asking amount they said something about maybe using the extra money for more ports? But thats about it. If it launched on Ouya first that would be something to be upset about, as I just remember the ks mentioning a no DRM PC version first.

Cramoss

IFVF5.gif

I feel a little bad saying it, but I'm honestly a bit over Double Fine.

I loved them after Psychonauts and I even really liked Brutal Legend (issues and all), but since then I haven't really loved anything they've done.
-Costume Quest was a fun idea and cute, but pretty monotonous.
-Stacking was another fun idea, but marred with bad performance and headache-inducing aesthetics (strong vignetting+strong depth of field+choppy, stop-motion animation)
-I wanted to love Iron Brigade (love mech games, and I love action/tower defense hybrids like Orcs Must Die!), but as a single player game I pretty much hated it. It relied too heavily on having the perfect combo of weapons AND traps which is hard to do because of the constricting light/medium/heavy mech loadout options.
-And as a smaller point, the lack of 60 FPS on their PC versions is disappointing, regardless of it being an engine legacy issue or whatever.

I appreciate their work ethic on smaller, lower budget games. I also still love how they're one of the only developers with an emphasis on humor in their games, even though it's pretty hit-and-miss. I even re-bought a couple of the games when they came to Steam mostly as a kind of loyalty to them. I'll still look forward to what they announce, but their games aren't instant buys for me anymore. :(

I think once they went past their asking amount they said something about maybe using the extra money for more ports? But thats about it. If it launched on Ouya first that would be something to be upset about, as I just remember the ks mentioning a no DRM PC version first.

UPDATE 1: Proud to announce we're going to be developing for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android!

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This has already resulted in increased VO and music budgets, and additional release platforms for the game (Mac, Linux, iOS, Android). The higher it goes the better the project gets!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

Ouya is an Android based system.

tha_devil

I still dont understand, wouldnt it be better to just connect your smartphone to your tv through hdmi (or with the upcoming xperia Z with miracast). And just connect (any) bluetooth controller.

Besides i get a real console if i want to play on the big screen. Not many phone games are suited for a tv.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
PC is no console.

I'm sure they won't. Double Fine cares about the good will of their fan base. I highly doubt they'll shit on their backers just to support some no-name Android box.

And you will still get it, whats the problem? I backed the kickstarter and i aint even mad.

I'd rather they focus on PC as the lead platform than on Android, and the OP suggests that such a thing is possible. (Hell, the money involved suggests that this is possible.)

Double Fine Adventure will come to just one console during its launch window...

...It also didn’t rule out the possibility of coming to other consoles later on.

Nice work with that title, OP. Nice fucking work.

Tizoc

So...Ouya first, then to next-gen or PS3, WiiU and 360 down the road?
So long's there a PC ver., I'll wish them the best, hope Ouya will be proftiable for them.

pants

Unless OUYA gets some third party joypads, I'm not going near it. That thing looks uncomfortable as hell.

FStop7

Banned
I don't understand the negative reactions. The Kickstarter was for the PC version and it's coming to PC. How is there any kind of problem?

Cartman86

Banned
I'd rather they focus on PC as the lead platform than on Android, and the OP suggests that such a thing is possible. (Hell, the money involved suggests that this is possible.)

They are 100% focusing on the PC as a lead platform. Hell the iOS versions will probably get more support than the Android ones. This is just news that the Android version is going to support Ouya. Nothing more. This project has always been focused on making a PC/Mac game. It's hard to be clear on the internet, but the worry you have has never been an issue.

Top Bottom