• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Shuts Down Ridgeline Games (A new studio formed in 2022 tasked with creating a "Narrative Experience" for the Battlefield franchise.

Not that I would've bought any Battlefield game... *but man it just fucking sucks that EA is refocusing on GaaS, again, after the last time they doubled down on this went so poorly for them. The two Jedi games from Respawn have done so damn well for them, they should double down on that, not GaaS. Huge mistake, and I join everyone else in continuing to hate EA.

RagnarokIV

"Narrative Experience"​

I wouldn't think about it too much. Probably means those stupid cutscenes you get mid-season login to a GAAS, like with Call Of Duty. They are always cringe as fuck, as if made by 12 year olds.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Not in Battlefield
Eh, the previous BF games had a single player and some of them were very good.

Do people buy BF for the single player game? No

But if you don't have a single player aspect in a BF game, their your online should be very flushed out with a lot of content. BF2042 was a complete mess and just showcased there was a lot of issues internally.

I would love for another Bad Company Campaign or another series of short campaigns like we seen in BF1...but I don't have any faith Dice can do make such campaigns anymore.

Dazraell

Certainly sound like Battlefield's next singleplayer campaign is juuust fine and is not in any troubles at all /s

Cyberpunkd

Not that I would've bought any Battlefield game... *but man it just fucking sucks that EA is refocusing on GaaS, again, after the last time they doubled down on this went so poorly for them. The two Jedi games from Respawn have done so damn well for them, they should double down on that, not GaaS. Huge mistake, and I join everyone else in continuing to hate EA.
GAAS costs 100mln, can make billions
SP fame costs 100mln, can make 300-400mln tops

What would you do?

Alebrije

Narrative experience on Battlefield? War never changes , just use the Helldivers 2 approach : Bugs and Autómatas are Bad for DEMOCRACY, shot never ask , end of story.

skit_data

Fuck, I hope they don't touch down EA Motive. The Dead Space remake is the only worthwhile thing EA has put out in quite a while IMO.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Timeout battlefield has a narrative? I redownloaded 2042 over the weekend and it has a lot of good things but still no campaign.

Hudo

Fuck, I hope they don't touch down EA Motive
Unlikely. They are working on an Iron Man game. I doubt that EA want to cancel yet another high-grade IP (whether Star Wars still can be considered a "high-grade" IP is up to discussion, I guess)

Last edited:
Not in Battlefield
Speak For Yourself Sheldon Cooper GIF by CBS

What would you do?
yes but one failure can cost a whole studio and millions in losses. Its not a safe bet. Especially with an oversaturated market. There can only be so many gaas players. If somoene is playing a gaas game they aren't buying or playing other games.
the industry shoots themselves in the foot with this. With traditional sp/mp model, new games are made and bought, multiple new games are bought by some in a month. More new games equals more new ideas. For someone like me its the sp games i look forward to the most.

Modern MP is bleh.

As for Battlefield, I guess we aren't getting Bad Company 3? that was the best bf single player game there was. BFBC was fun and had good characters and banter. The online was smaller but it was intense and destruction was rampped up. BF proper was best in bf1942, bf Vietnam, BF2, BF1943 , BF3 and BF4.. After that it kinda went down hill, then the woke shit came in where war had to be rewriting history and women with katanas in ww2...... They needed a narrative company.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never got into BF games aside from testing demos and dabbling with BF1 (great game but I couldn’t take the constant snipers on hills and some reason the lobbies kept crashing with my party).

But unless I’m wrong I never got the impression BF gamers even cared about SP. it was all about MP in giant maps, destruction and big teams).

So if I’m right (who knows maybe I’m wrong and tons of BF gamers are itching for a SP game) I don’t see why EA would waste time on this.

SP is more for COD, where the game splits the marketing as one part epic SP campaign with captain price and tons of MP and warzone.

Last edited:
Well, this makes sense.

I can't remember the last time I played a single-player battlefield game.

They end up investing money into writers and narrative design, and then the story either sucks or is good, but is never more than an afterthought for many players who are only interested in multiplayer.

Plus, at this point, GPT or Gemini are writing videogame-caliber-level stories.

The money is better spent elsewhere.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
As someone who enjoys Battlefield games, I've never played the campaign mode even once. It's certainly disappointing for those who play these games for the campaign, although such players are more common in CoD.

EDMIX

So EA opened an entire studio just for single player Battlefield? Doesnt sound cost effective to me.

^ Agreed.

Only smart choice made in 2042 imho was skipping single player.
Who fucking cares about a SP mode in BF!? Invest all your time, money and effort into the multiplayer ffs, this is where the franchise truly shines.

Thank you!

I love great single player games don't get me wrong, but I'm not fucking buying BF for anything regarding single player lol I have thousands of hours in the series and the single player stuff is avoided like the plague.

So idgaf how people feel about EA, they are making the right choice moving on and allowing BF to just be a MP IP and allowing Dragon Age to just be a single player thing.

Braag

What would you do?
GAAS requires constant flow of money post launch to keep it alive though.
SP for the most part needs couple of patches for bug fixes and that's it.

SHA

Cause there is the Witcher, the elder scrolls, grand theft auto, Dragon age, crysis, resident evil, SEGA games, Square Enix games, 2k games, ABK games, Sony games, Nintendo games coming, there is no place for s plot.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This guy and team was supposed to be the savior of BF after 2042 flopped. I wonder what happened?
No they weren’t. They were always supposed to only be working on a single player part of the game. Battlefield needs a lot more than a good single player to be saved.

Top Bottom