• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer -: Nintendo Switch's bundled Joy-Con grip doesn't charge controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takat

I think it's a poor decision that just doesn't make sense.
I mean if someone buys the charging grip he also buys it to have to make the joy-cons whole.

I'm just baffled.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I'd kind of have an issue if this were the case, honestly.

Same. 8-12+ hour gaming days aren't super rare events for me. At least two or three times a month. 20 is a non issue though.

Unlike a lot of gaffers I actually play games and set aside days to binge when I'm really into something. Easy with a flexible job, no kids and an also introverted significant other who works a lot and needs her own hobby time.

azyless

It's a luxury item that not everyone needs. Would you rather see them charge $350 for the Switch and include it in the box? It's the exact same thing with the Pro Controller. Bundling it doesn't make sense from a business perspective, but there is enough interest to sell one separately. This isn't exclusive to Nintendo or even gaming. Companies sell accessories separately all the time.it.
A USB port is a luxury item that costs 50$ per unit to produce now ? Not comparable at all with the Pro Controller.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Feels like with Nintendo consoles people want all accessory be bundled for free - isnt the console already expensive enough ?

bman94

As others said, it's an non issue out of the box. Just put the Joy-cons on the Switch itself when you're not playing. When I forget to charge my Xbox One controllers I don't blame Microsoft. I just have to suck it up, connect a USB to the controller and sit super close to the TV because I forgot to charge them.

It does become an issue however if you buy an additional set of Joy-Cons and you can't charge all 4 at once without buying the charging grip.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is known, and it's really not the issue it's being made out to be imo. If after 20+ hours you haven't docked the thing and taken a break you have enough of a habit to warrant a dedicated charging cradle.

Was there a big deal made when PS4 launched with abysmal controller batteries and a tiny cable to charge them with (meaning you couldn't carry on playing without sitting next to the TV?) Your option was: "stop after 4 hours and take a break or go buy another cable". Fine.

Now with Switch we have the option "stop after 20 hours and take a break or go buy a charging cradle". I don't see the issue, personally.

To be fair a longer USB cable is super cheap. The charging grip is super overpriced at $30 given it just adds a USB port and charger contacts to the rails. There'd be less uproar if Nintendo hadn't jacked accessory prices so much on top of the console being $50 more than many were hoping and paid online...

OneUh8

Not sure why this is really an issue. I bet not many play with their xbox or ps controllers plugged in. Most use them, then when done, charge them. This is no different here. Xbox charges you for the battery pack and Sony charges you for the charging dock for the ds4.

Vexii

So obviously the Joy-Cons charge while connected to the Switch console, but that's ONLY while it's docked, right?

It'd be really fucking stupid for them to charge at all times while it's attached to the Switch console, docked or handheld... Right?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Feels like with Nintendo consoles people want all accessory be bundled for free - isnt the console already expensive enough ?

Putting a nickel USB port and charging wire through a grip they're already including is such a negligible cost that even trying to suggest it would affect the consoles price is insanity. Calling it a 'luxury item' is a cry for help.

That's the main issue with this. It's at such an extreme end of nickel and dime'ing that whoever made the call is a Charles Dickens villain level miser.

Rootbeer

Banned
Its pretty grimey but the joycons themselves have 20 hours of battery so its not too bad

It's how I feel about it. The more egregious wrong is having only 32GB of storage when it would have cost them very little extra to increase it to 64GB, which is a much better baseline imo.

Mr-Joker

Banned
As ever with this news reported, one finds it curious how many parrot the 20-hours battery life with "non-issue" assuredness.

If such an accessory had no use at all in the world, why would Nintendo be making and selling one separately?

To give players the option of charging their Joycon without taking it out of the grip or if they have more than one set.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So obviously the Joy-Cons charge while connected to the Switch console, but that's ONLY while it's docked, right?

It'd be really fucking stupid for them to charge at all times while it's attached to the Switch console, docked or handheld... Right?

They'll pull power from the battery when in portable mode to work, and will charge in portable mode if the tablet doesn't is plugged into a charger via USB c port on the bottom of the tablet.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is the only way to charge them is to have them docked with the console?

Or the tablet plugged into a USB c charger in portable mode.

Otherwise you have to buy the charger grip or a third party charging dock if you want other ways to charge or ability to game on tv while charging (not a big issue with 20 hour battery life, but still an annoyance).

The Jutty

It should have been included, but it's 20 hours battery life and how many of you are honestly going to get a Switch and not get a Pro controller?

K' Dash

it is amazing that people will complain about anything.

The Joycons have a battery life of 20 hours and you just have to put them back in the console when you finish playing, this is a non issue.

Berordn

It should have been include, but it's 20 hours battery life and how many of you are honestly going to get a Switch and not get a Pro controller?

When the Pro Controller is 70, I'm probably not going to buy one until they get a steep drop in price.

I'd rather spend that money on another set of Joycons, just for the versatility.

The lack of an included dog controller that charges the Joy-Con isn't a big deal at all.

Situations:

1) You play your Switch in handheld mode, or tabletop mode. You return it to the dock, or plug it in with a USB-C cable or USB-C AC Adapter, to charge it. The Joy-Con also charge.

2) You play your Switch docked in console mode too, but when you're done you reattach the Joy-Con to the sides. They start charging during downtime

3) You exclusively play your Switch in console mode and you leave the Joy-Con attached to the included Dog Controller so they never return to the dock to be charged.

A grip that also does charging is only useful in scenario 3). Their 20 hour battery life makes situations 1) and 2) likely to happen at least once when using the system due to its 2.5-6.5 hour battery life. You're literally paying for minor convenience of not having to reattach the Joy-Con to the Switch itself.

The Jutty

When the Pro Controller is 70, I'm probably not going to buy one until they get a steep drop in price.

I'd rather spend that money on another set of Joycons, just for the versatility.

Yeah it's a bit more expensive, but it appears to have some nice tech. I'm not going to pretend to know the break down of the parts but $10 more than xbone or ps4 controller seems reasonable. The dock and grip on the other hand is pretty marked up.

Dweebo

Banned
I shed a tear after every post that starts out with "this is a non-issue". I don't care if it is 20 hours of battery life on the joy-cons (which, if you believe that's really what those get with having HD rumble along with the other technology in them I've got a bridge to sell you) but this kind of cements my fears of this thing being just an ok console and just an ok handheld. $30 additional charging grip is infuriating and you can't tell me with a straight face they couldn't have included that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It should have been included, but it's 20 hours battery life and how many of you are honestly going to get a Switch and not get a Pro controller?

One issue is the pro controller could end up being hard to find for a while. It hasn't gone up for preorder anywhere in North America yet that I've seen. Makes me worry that it will be in short supply around launch.

If so I'll just deal with reattaching the joy cons to charge until I find one as I don't need a pro controller and charger grip.

Firemind

I'm mean I'll mostly only play on the tv so the controllers will stay in a basket under the side table next to my recliner in my mancave with my PS4 and PC controllers when not in use.

I have a USB charger and all my needed cables there and can plug in a ds4 or my wireless headset etc when they die and keep gaming on the TV.

It would have been nice to be able to do that out of the box with Switch, or for the accessories to have been cheaper, but c'est le vie. I'll nut up and buy a pro controller and rarely touch the joycons or tablet. That way I can also keep the ugly dock out of sight since I don't need regular easy access to it.
What I mean is, if I play in my bed then I'm not going to leave them unattached. The console obviously can't last as long so that will run out of juice first. The only situation where it matters is if you charge the console without the controllers attached.

JJH

Any word on the pro controller battery life? I'm hoping for godlike numbers after the Wii U pro controller.

MuchoMalo

Banned
We know. We also know that the battery life is long enough that you'll only want to charge the controllers every 2-3 days anyway. If it really meets that 20-hour battery life, then honestly I can't blame Nintendo for saving a few cents for something most people don't need. The counterargument I've heard is for people with multiple sets, but it still seems long enough imo that you only really need to charge one set at a time if you have two.

yurinka

it is amazing that people will complain about anything.

The Joycons have a battery life of 20 hours and you just have to put them back in the console when you finish playing, this is a non issue.
When you finish playing the console is switched off, so won't charge them.

Or did they announce a PS4-like sleep mode where it charges the controllers and download games?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I shed a tear after every post that starts out with "this is a non-issue". I don't care if it is 20 hours of battery life on the joy-cons (which, if you believe that's really what those get with having HD rumble along with the other technology in them I've got a bridge to sell you) but this kind of cements my fears of this thing being just an ok console and just an ok handheld. $30 additional charging grip is infuriating and you can't tell me with a straight face they couldn't have included that.

I started a drinking game where every post that contained "non-issue" and "20 hours" was a shot.

I'm dead now. The hivemind killed me.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Right now I have 3 PS4 controllers that rotate between charging or playing with. More often than not it's when trying to pause a movie or show that you discover it's dead or barely alive. If I would only had one controller i could solve that by plugging it into the nearest socket with a cord. No such option exists in the Switch where I have to disassemble the controller and attach it to the console.

Coupled with everything else that's iffy I doubt it will make it past my friont door.

Alpha_eX

Mass producing a technical accessory for the entire run of consoles would have been a much bigger task than just producing the plastic. It's not a case of, just make more, there are other logistics at play here. For one, perhaps they couldn't source that many parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom