• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 to be announced at Bethesda presser

gdt

was there ever any information about why TEW ran like such shit? most other idtech5 games on console ran pretty well right?

Apparently Tango butchered the engine to get it to do what they needed for a linear horror game. Came with some difficulties apparently.

Prey 2 is Bethesda's Versus XIII

The Prey series as a whole is one of the most troubled game franchises in existence when it comes to development. The first Prey went through multiple builds and cancellations before Human Head restarted it for their 2005 release. Prey 2 has gone through development hell as well.

Excited for Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2 though. I absolutely loved the first Evil Within and The New Order.

aBarreras

Apparently Tango butchered the engine to get it to do what they needed for a linear horror game. Came with some difficulties apparently.

is not that they butchered, they needed dynamic lighnight, something that idtech5 didnt support very well, and they implemented, as far as i remember

Floody

Bethesda could have a really solid show on their hands if true, shame I've spoiled it for myself.
Really looking forward to seeing what Prey 2 looks like now.

bman94

While I loved Wolfenstein: The New Order, I want them to tackle a Quake reboot first so we can have the holy Trinity of iD shooters back in the spot light.

Well financially speaking it's viable since it apparently sold well, but there's nothing specific to suggest that it's coming beyond that, unlike the other games mentioned in the article.

It's not like they pretty much gave away with a massive new twist that they are making a sequel in the second part of the dlc or anything.....

Neff

It's not like they pretty much gave away with a massive new twist that they are making a sequel in the second part of the dlc or anything.....

The base game and the DLC are super-sequel-centric, but I could reel off a dozen games and movies which did the same and never got to follow their logical conclusion due to under-performance.

That said, TEW2 probably has a good chance of existing. We've never had solid numbers for it afaik, but it sold strongly at launch and by all accounts Bethesda was very happy with its performance. Here's hoping.

is not that they butchered, they needed dynamic lighnight, something that idtech5 didnt support very well, and they implemented, as far as i remember

Yep. They wanted a very specific look for TEW, and idtech, the only engine they realistically had access to, had to bend over backwards to accommodate it because it just simply wasn't designed to do the things TEW is doing. As a result, it occasionally suffers with framerate and some minor glitches. The game looks really, really good for the most part though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is Evil Within on PC these days? I recall it had some problems, correct?

It's fine, but 60fps requires a beefy CPU:

evilwithin_proz.jpg

CrayToes

While I loved Wolfenstein: The New Order, I want them to tackle a Quake reboot first so we can have the holy Trinity of iD shooters back in the spot light.

Machine Games is the last dev on earth who should take on Quake. They really don't like multiplayer.

pa22word

If tno is anything to go by MG needs to stay FAR away from quake.

The thought is just utterly revolting.

I mean I sort of even like tno in a weird sort of way, but it was basically just another rote half life clone with dual welding and bad stealth sections, and raven already gave us a crappy half-quake anyways.

ArjanN

If tno is anything to go by MG needs to stay FAR away from quake.

The thought is just utterly revolting.

I mean I sort of even like tno in a weird sort of way, but it was basically just another rote half life clone with dual welding and bad stealth sections, and raven already gave us a crappy half-quake anyways.

This terrible opinion aside, I assume that if a Quake reboot happened it would be a multiplayer focused anyway.

Quake was first and foremost a multiplayer arena shooter , the singleplayer was always seemed pretty irrelevant.

pa22word

This terrible opinion aside, I assume that if a Quake reboot happened it would be a multiplayer focused anyway.

Quake was first and foremost a multiplayer arena shooter , the singleplayer was always seemed pretty irrelevant.

Speaking of shitty opinions...

I love Quake but he's not wrong....

I don't see how single player in Quake 1 was irrelevant. The level design was fantastic and clearly tons of effort and time went into that aspect.

Maybe that could be said of the sequels but that it was never relevant in the Quake series isn't true.

I love Quake but he's not wrong....

Quake's single player campaign was completely overshadowed by Duke Nukem 3D. Multiplayer and modding was where Quake's strength really lied in. But at the same time, I still thing Quake's single player was a little overlooked, it was still a solid experience and something that I would like to see revisited.

Speaking of shitty opinions...

I think Quake's single-player is pretty great. But I remember reading reviews of both Duke Nukem 3D and Quake 1 at the time of release and Quake was mainly praised for its tech while Duke 3D was praised for its campaign.

I've grown to appreciate Quake much more than Duke 3D over the years though, that's for sure.

ArjanN

My point was more that series was bascially completely defined by it's multiplayer, way more so than Doom or Wolfenstein and if they do bring it it back they would almost certainly focus on that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You sure that graph isn't pre-patch? I remember they updated the game later which gave it a sizable performance boost.

A cursory search doesn't bring up any benchmarks with a particular version mentioned. There was a patch that removed the 30fps cap, which may be what you're thinking of.

Evil Within was that good? Hm, interested what Gaf has to say, hype for Prey 2 tho

You know what is funny to me? I double dipped; PS4, PC and got to the same place on both platforms and quit.
need to go back and beat both versions! Btw, if you're curious.. I quit on
the giant eyeballs in the sky section

I'd be happy to see Prey 2 revived. I thought it looked really quite fun - Blade Runner: The Game - when it first appeared. Seemed like it was a long way along to just can it outright.

Would be over the moon to see a new Wolfenstein but The Evil Within 2 would be disappointing. It felt like Mikami and the rest of Tango Gameworks didn't really care about the game with most of the ideas being ripped right out of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and other horror franchises. I hope this is false and they are really working on a more original game that they are passionate about.

If The Evil Within 2 happens, it would likely be ID Tech 6 I would imagine.

Delicious nutty chewy gorgeous visuals at 60fps on consoles, yes?

But for the love of god, tone down that bob and weave effect in a third person game.

sphinx

the piano man
I am terribly sorry for having to bump this, but I'd rather not open a thread to ask :(

.... what happened to Evil Within 2?? can it still be revealed in this coming hours/days or this it missed the E3 train???

Top Bottom