• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy GodMOTHER is now a black gay dude in Cinderella remake

brap

Banned
Epic. Simply epic.
zrdqilpx7sjevznhdcon.jpg

Vogue’s Michelle Ruiz delved into the evolution of princess tropes, noting:
But Porter’s casting—and the reinvention of these old tales, including who can star in them and who can play whom—is a step toward ushering the princess genre into a new era. Imagine what Porter’s Godmother could mean to a little boy who prefers Cinderella gowns to fireman dress-up. I imagine too, the significance to my own kids—when so many animated movies continue to be dominated by white characters—that the sparkly spirit of the Fairy Godmother can be brought to life, and made entirely unique, by a gay, African American man. Not that they’ll read as closely into the particulars: They’ll just see that he’s awesome, in the truest sense of the word.

Ar¢tos

It could work.... If it was a joke movie (like the Scary Movie series).

The next version of The Little Red Riding Hood will probably have Whoopi Goldberg as the Woodsman Woodsperson.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sony is making this. James Corden is producing it.

Just wanted to point your hate in the right direction.
Ah.. So they can't use a woman for fear of Disney copyright claims? They should make a horror-ish version based on the Grimm tale instead (no godmother at all).

JimiNutz

Banned
Holy shit.
If I was a kid and that dude appeared in my bedroom promising to make my dreams come true I would fucking jump out of my window so fast and take off down the road to find the police.

This shits gonna give kids nightmares...

JoduanER2

When is the all white "Us" (jordan peele) remake releasing?

Ok see? Sounds really stupid right? Thats how this sound.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
This is why I've been immersing myself in media made prior to 2000, tired of this nonsense. And I'm buying stuff before it gets erased or wokified - at some point physical copies of things are going to be hard to come by, and all you'll have are curated lists of digital content from your corporate overlords, where older titles will probably be edited for wokeness, if they appear at all. It's really cool to go through the digital Amazon shelves and realize how much shit from older eras is simply being forgotten and will never appear on digital services.

Try it sometime, fuck netflix and modern networks for a while, it's refreshing, inspiring, and depressing all at the same time.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isn't the mami with magic powers literally a racist trope? Why would they make a male version of that?

mortal

Gold Member
Sure it's silly, but like after the umpteenth remake of Cinderella, is this something even worth giving a shit about?

Last edited:
When is the all white "Us" (jordan peele) remake releasing?

Ok see? Sounds really stupid right? Thats how this sound.

This is a gay thing, not a black thing. I remember black Youtubers ripping this guy apart for wearing a dress at an awards show.

And yikes, what the hell is going on with this remake? Why are they redoing Cinderella again?

...although I just did a quick cast check, those Camila and Idina chicks are looking pretty fiiiinnnee tbh

You are not very good at comparing things.

Us is a movie where the entire plot revolves around the races of the characters.

The character being discussed here isn't even really human lol

I don't think Us was nearly as dependent on the race of the cast like Get Out was, tbh. You could've put any sort of people in the casting and it would've played off much the same, which was kind of the point (and a refreshing one).

But yeah I have zero idea why that dude was triggered to bring up that movie; the only other two cast members revealed so far seem mixed if anything (or Latina, maybe Afro-Latina I guess). I don't really give a shit, just nice to see the two female cast look pretty hot.

Last edited:
Is that the guy in American Horror Story - Apocalypse? I'm watching that right now. If it is, he was actually pretty funny in that, and I liked his character.

Top Bottom