• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC Listing appears for the Nintendo Switch.

Why 5GHZ wifi is great ?

2.4GHz and 5GHz are very different frequencies. 2.4GHz will likely always be the standard for many years to come so 5GHz will stick to enthusiasts. 2.4GHz has a LOT of interference, since most people use 2.4 at similar channels, there will be a lot of packet loss. If everyone around you is using that and you're the only one using 5GHz, you'll get absolutely no interference whatsoever, so you get close to ethernet performance. Most new routers have 5GHz compatibility though, but a lot of budget laptops and even a lot of WiFi dongles you can buy today STILL don't have 5GHz support.

Sad, but true.

Nintendo really needs to learn cost control from other consumer electronics manufacturers. For generations they have been selling age old hardware with a premium price yet still fail to make a huge profit from it.

And you know this how?

Controlling for recent years (wiiu fiasco), i was always under thr impression that ninty had the most profitabke gaming division out of the big three.

Belker

Well, typically Nintendo has shipped region specific chargers (or more specifically labelled them as being region specific), so moving to chargers which fully support all regions and and are labelled as such is a notable change for Nintendo, and one which they would be likely to do if they were releasing a region-free console.

It's not the only piece of evidence to suggest it, though. Iwata commented on it a couple of years ago, there have been numerous rumours recently suggesting it, and on the Switch used on Jimmy Fallon you could see a CE mark (indicating it's certified for use in Europe, which there wouldn't have been any reason to do for a region-specific model).

Thanks for that, it makes things clearer. My only experience with region locking is opening a Japanese MegaDrive and removing a piece of plastic that stopped other games playing.

I felt like quite the little engineer.

Sad, but true.

Nintendo really needs to learn cost control from other consumer electronics manufacturers. For generations they have been selling age old hardware with a premium price yet still fail to make a huge profit from it.

?? Besides the Wii U, Nintendo has typically made a huge profit off all of their hardware. From what I remember the GameCube made a ton of profit, and obviously the Wii did also.

ggx2ac

USB Power Delivery v2 has 5V, 9V, 15V & 20V implementations at up to 3A, so the specs are entirely within the bounds of the USB PD standards. Not all USB-PD devices have to support 100W charging.

Yeah, this is when I realised in a later post that it'd be unlikely for a 15W USB-C port on the Switch to work in docked mode, output video and audio via DisplayPort, and charge all at the same time.

So it makes more sense that the Switch does have Power Delivery but in one of the other configurations you mentioned.

Well, people used the Wii U's power adapter back in the WUSTs to support their argument about the machine being weak, and they didn't end up being wrong. I know this doesn't give us specific numbers but maybe we can use it to make guesses about the ballpark.

Personally, i don't see a reason for a 37W adapter if the console draws 10W or less when docked, but maybe i'm missing something.

You may need 10W to actually power the device and then 20W or something to charge the battery. Or run any peripherals connected to the USB ports of the dock. I think it's pretty hard to tell just based on the maximum power input what portions of the console require what amount of power.

AzaK

His 5GHz latency is 11ms and the 2.4GHz is 10ms
5GHz is trash, latency is everything in online play.

In the days of Quake where we had 300ms pings it might have mattered if you had a good day and got 200, but not really any more. And if it is of concern then you won't be playing online anyway, you'll be LANing

Well, people used the Wii U's power adapter back in the WUSTs to support their argument about the machine being weak, and they didn't end up being wrong. I know this doesn't give us specific numbers but maybe we can use it to make guesses about the ballpark.

Personally, i don't see a reason for a 37W adapter if the console draws 10W or less when docked, but maybe i'm missing something.

I remember that, and it was a crap argument on many levels. "Power draw from adapter as a measure of a games console's power" isn't really a thing, and those people were so very wrong back then. I suspect you're not alone in "missing something". Actually... I'm quite confident about that.

Wolf might be the codename used by Nvidia.

Yeah, that might be it. Makes sense in that third party engine devs would work with Nvidia first and foremost.

It's probably some internal codename (3DS's CTR is still a bit of a mystery), and they're always 3 letters*, which would rule out NX anyway.

More like WUP and less like PJC then.

• "AC Adapter input: AC 100 – 240 V, 50 / 60 Hz, 1 A" is a power brick with worldwide compatibility. This heavily points towards the console being region-free.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Making a switched-mode power transformer that accepts universal voltages isn't such a cost liability, and it's really the only thing that makes sense for a modern device where the emphasis is portability. Then again, region locking does not make much sense in a world of global trade, so maybe there's a correlation after all, haha.

So happy about the 5Ghz wifi. Ever since I moved into my apartment I haven't been able to play my PS4/Wii U online without plugging in an ethernet cord from the opposite side of the room, which made things pretty ugly.

Rodin

The difference is that Wii U is a stationary console, whereas this isn't. Even ignoring attached USB devices, if the Switch requires only 10W to run while in docked mode, it still needs to be able to charge while running. So it's impossible for us to tell what proportion is being used to power the device and what proportion is being used to charge the battery.

Well, typically Nintendo has shipped region specific chargers (or more specifically labelled them as being region specific), so moving to chargers which fully support all regions and and are labelled as such is a notable change for Nintendo, and one which they would be likely to do if they were releasing a region-free console.

It's not the only piece of evidence to suggest it, though. Iwata commented on it a couple of years ago, there have been numerous rumours recently suggesting it, and on the Switch used on Jimmy Fallon you could see a CE mark (indicating it's certified for use in Europe, which there wouldn't have been any reason to do for a region-specific model).

You may need 10W to actually power the device and then 20W or something to charge the battery. Or run any peripherals connected to the USB ports of the dock. I think it's pretty hard to tell just based on the maximum power input what portions of the console require what amount of power.
Right, i wasn't thinking about that.
I remember that, and it was a crap argument on many levels. "Power draw from adapter as a measure of a games console's power" isn't really a thing, and those people were so very wrong back then. I suspect you're not alone in "missing something". Actually... I'm quite confident about that.

Yeah there are other things to consider too.

Thraktor

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Making a switched-mode power transformer that accepts universal voltages isn't such a cost liability, and it's really the only thing that makes sense for a modern device where the emphasis is portability. Then again, region locking does not make much sense in a world of global trade, so maybe there's a correlation after all, haha.

I clarified this a bit more in another post. There's of course nothing to stop Nintendo using switched-mode power supplies for region-locked consoles, but they've never done so before (or at least they've never labelled them as such), so the change in behaviour is notable, particularly in the context of the other evidence for them going region-free with Switch.

I clarified this a bit more in another post. There's of course nothing to stop Nintendo using switched-mode power supplies for region-locked consoles, but they've never done so before (or at least they've never labelled them as such), so the change in behaviour is notable, particularly in the context of the other evidence for them going region-free with Switch.
I'm just happy I'll be able to charge my NA Switch without a inverter box, region locked or not.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So which carrier gets the exclusive "unlimited data when Hotspotting to your Switch" promotion?

Berordn

I honestly didn't think this was going to happen. Really thought switch was going to be 2.4 only. Great to see. Nintendo is really thinking on this one.

Honestly at this point almost every off the shelf part is probably 5ghz compatible. It'd be more effort for them to actually limit it, I expect.

Top Bottom