• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming and recording for Death Stranding 2 is complete; development now enters a 'phase of adjustments' that's planned to last for about a year

20240520-31097-header-960x632.jpg

In the second episode of his NHK radio show “Hideo Kojima’s Radio: Infinity” (broadcast on May 18) Hideo Kojima commented on the development of Death Stranding 2: On the Beach. The Death Stranding sequel is scheduled to launch in 2025 for the PS5.

According to a report by Famitsu, Kojima revealed during the radio show that the team has finished shooting and recording with the cast of Death Stranding 2. Development will now enter an “adjustment phase” that will last about a year. During this phase, the development team will work on refining transitions between scenes and controls, as well as improving the game’s overall clarity and entertainment value.

Kojima also commented on Death Stranding 2’s recent trailer. Apparently, the team strived to showcase the overall look, themes and gameplay of the title while also showing what will be inherited from Death Stranding, what will be different and how the characters are connected to each other.

Source - Automaton West

Metnut

Gimme more DS1 but no Mules. That portion of the gameplay needs to be completely overhauled. Was frustration waste of time in the first game. At least have them not regenerate once cleared out.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What would you change / focus on more?
Well obviously what a lot of people would have - get rid of boring delivery man BS completely and focus more on the stealth and action (not necessarily a lot of gunfights) gameplay similar to MGSV GZ/PP.

The story is irredeemably bad POS (not the acting and how cutscenes were shot), but at least with much better gameplay you could stomach it. The best parts of the first game gameplay-wise were war flashbacks (even though in terms of gameplay they were exactly the same) and the boss fights were somewhat cool as well.

Nah. Second half of 2025
We'll see, Kojima is yet to bombard us with hundreds of trailers and zero gameplay in them, while trying to explain very badly what the game is all about this time and why should we care.

Last edited:

Embearded

Well obviously what a lot of people would have - get rid of boring delivery man BS completely and focus more on the stealth and action (not necessarily a lot of gunfights) gameplay similar to MGSV GZ/PP.

The story is irredeemably bad (not the acting and how cutscenes were shot) POS, but at least with much better gameplay you could stomach it. The best parts of the first game gameplay-wise were war flashbacks (even though in terms of gameplay they were exactly the same) and the boss fights were somewhat cool as well.

This would change the games entire identity.

The gameplay loop was fine as it was. It delivered what was promised, now they need to add more mechanisms and fratures, build on the foundations of the first one and evolve

Perrott

The story is irredeemably bad (not the acting and how cutscenes were shot) POS, but at least with much better gameplay you could stomach it. The best parts of the first game gameplay-wise were war flashbacks (even though in terms of gameplay they were exactly the same) and the boss fights were somewhat cool as well.
So you want Death Stranding to not be Death Stranding? Just admit that the game didn't vibe with you instead of pretending that everything in it is wrong, which objectively it is not.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

We'll see, Kojima is yet to bombard us with hundreds of trailers and zero gamelay in them, while trying to explain very badly what the game is all about this time and why should we care.
the delivery thing is fine, just need to add more action to make it even better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
as well as improving the game’s overall clarity and entertainment value.

I think its great that kojima still sees his games as entertainment products that need to be fun. A lot of modern narrative driven games nowadays dont give a fuck about the fun factor and insert what now feels like dozens of walking segments at forced reduced speeds, unskippable cutscenes and absolutely mind numbingly boring sections featuring side characters. In spiderman 2 it was young peter and mj. in GOW, it was atreus and while the bow and arrow combat wasnt bad, 50% of his stuff was walking slowly. Dont even get me started on the constant flashbacks and the aquarium sections in TLOU2. All of those levels would be cut in most games for lacking entertaintment value but because devs feel strongly about telling a story instead of fun, they are left in. It makes replays a chore. I waited six months for the spiderman 2 ng+ patch but after the first bike ride and what feels like a 30 minute stealth section with young peter and norm, i quit and never went back. Same goes for GOW ragnorak's NG+ patch.

It's funny. Death Stranding is a literal walking simulator but ive beaten in 3 times. kojima made a more fun walking simulator than these other studios who made action games with a few walking segments.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just admit that the game didn't vibe with you instead of pretending that everything in it is wrong, which objectively it is not.
What's even there to get the vibe? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People can go and be delivery guys / girls and get paid for doing it, while here it's the other way around and on top of that you're wasting a lot of hours which you could've spent playing a much better game with a much better story.

Delivering shit in RPGs is boring enough, so why make the whole game about doing this shit only? It's not even thought provoking and not making you question things or think about what you just saw etc., cuz even the story in the game is bad and a bunch of garbage and nonsense. I literally forced myself to finish the game on the PS5 and almost lost my both eyes cuz of rolling them so much while watching cutscenes with nonsense writing about Dinos, DNA and all sorts of other stupid and pretentious shit.

Even some of the Night Shyamalan movies have something to say and makes you think about what you just saw, but when I finished Death Stranding, my only thought was - Man, if only such production values, greatly shot and acted cutscenes were in a much better game, with much better gameplay and better written story.

Last edited:

Embearded

What's even there to get the vibe? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People can go and be delivery guys / girls and get paid for doing it, while here it's the other way around and on top of that you're wasting a lot of hours which you could've spent playing a much better game with a much better story.

We can say that for many games, can't we?
Pretty much every shooter is just running around firing guns.

You can even spens your time doing something more productive than playing games.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
I find it hilarious how much certain people are soo triggered by Kojima that they they go full autist and have to write paragraphs to try and justify their hate. You don't like his work or him as an individual, whatever, if you spend so much time thinking about how much you despise the dude, then maybe there is actually something wrong with you.

RaduN

Well, the first one was the biggest mind fuck since MGS2, and had the most hearbreaking ending since MGS3 (coincidentally, both Kojima games as well ...😏)
Needless to say, my expectations are through the roof for this one.

Happy to wait for it, patiently.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I find it hilarious how much certain people are soo triggered by Kojima that they they go full autist and have to write paragraphs to try and justify their hate. You don't like his work or him as an individual, whatever, if you spend so much time thinking about how much you despise the dude, then maybe there is actually something wrong with you.
This post was written, edited and approved by Kojima.

as a big kojima fan, i was just never really sold on death stranding. until i finally played it, & really enjoyed it. that said? i'm currently as unsold on this sequel, as i was on the original...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Great, hopefully it's less boring to play than the first one after a couple of hours.
Dude I’m sayin. I want to play and enjoy this game. I want to see all of the ridiculous Kojima-ness. But holy shit does it get old after like 4-5 hours at best.

I remember so many threads talking about how the traversal mechanics being a “significant and challenging” part of the game, but it literally only takes about 10 minutes to become an expert at them. After that, it basically turns into Desert Bus, where you just have to pay attention for the sake of it. There’s no real challenge, except to stay awake.

Last edited:
Your post reminds me of when western AAA publishers and devs used to survey gamers more often in public events like E3, and they would first let the gamer play a slice of the game and then ask them what they personally want added to the game…and most of them would say things like ‘can you add guns?’ or ‘what if it was first person?’

It turned out that most of them were just describing Call of Duty because that’s what they really wanted to play 😂

LimanimaPT

I tried to play and enjoy DS1. I've picked it up multiple times and I always lay it down.
The main reason is not the UI, but dear god, so much visual polution in the menus...

Dude I’m sayin. I want to play and enjoy this game. I want to see all of the ridiculous Kojima-ness. But holy shit does it get old after like 4-5 hours at best.

I remember so many threads talking about how the traversal mechanics being a “significant and challenging” part of the game, but it literally only takes about 10 minutes to become an expert at them. After that, it basically turns into Desert Bus, where you just have to pay attention for the sake of it. There’s no real challenge, except to stay awake.
the first 4-5 hours are by far the worst IMO (and i also wouldnt want to play it more than ~5 hours at a time).
but yeah, the game is never really difficult, and its more of the same.

this sort of game would be so much better if it had physics-based movement (e.g. euphoria). actually having to take the environment into consideration when walking is just something you dont have to do in any other game, and i hope they double-down on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom