• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French researchers take another step toward an HIV cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its got to be a matter of time now. Scientists are making great progress in mapping viruses like Ebola and HIV. Its amazing that doctors learned how to identify the virus only 33 years ago.

I know Mike Pence could have prevented a lot of infections if he had lifted the Indiana ban on needle exchange programs during the outbreak where 200 people became infected, primarily from drug users sharing needles. Such programs worked to reduce infection in other states, but Pence thought it enabled abusers.

If you're gay or bisexual and engage in casual sex you need to ask your doctor about Truvada. If you can't afford it there are assistance programs out there to help you cover the costs. Just remember its not a cure and it shouldn't replace a condom or safe sex practices nor does it protect against other STDs.

YsYyTnN.jpg
Ui612AT.jpg

HBds5KV.png
1pwelor.png

3nQjhxa.png

A team of researchers discovered a biomarker only found on the surface of HIV-infected white blood cells that can be used to eradicate reservoirs of the viral infection throughout the body.

The newly found biomarker is a protein called CD32a, and its discovery could be crucial in the battle against the global epidemic responsible for over a million deaths caused from AIDS-related illnesses in 2015 alone. The discovery of the protein’s existence pointed researchers to the reservoirs of CD4 T cells, a type of white blood cells, infected with HIV.

Locating reservoirs of viral infections in the body is one of the first major steps to creating a vaccination and, eventually, even a cure. The report, published Wednesday in the scientific journal Nature, was reportedly the first to discover these pools of hidden HIV-infected cells responsible for reproducing and spreading the virus throughout the body.

HIV and AIDS research happening across the globe are continuing to make critical discoveries at a rapid pace in recent years.

Research unveiled at last month's Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections showed a therapeutic vaccination administered to five HIV patients allowed them to live for years without daily drugs and major symptoms.

And I know someone is g oing to post it so lets get it over with.

The potential of cancer and HIV cures in the future remain a great hope these days.

It was cool when Biden was on Colbert and he pointed out that Cancer research may be one of the few places Democrats can work with Republicans and get something good actually done.

Syncytia

Could be big - depends on whether or not any part of the CD32a protein is antigenic enough to create a response. Finding a marker is pretty major, but creating something that can bind the marker and then effectively remove the infected WBCs is another thing entirely.

There's also some pretty interesting research on the immune reaction in long term HIV survivors. Essentially the antibodies they make tend to be different and more effective at fighting infected cells.

XenodudeX

It's amazing how far we've come to treating this virus. I read somewhere that people who take their medication everyday reach "undetectable" levels, which makes the chances of giving the virus to someone else almost zero. Add protection to the mix, and it's impossible.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
A team of researchers discovered a biomarker only found on the surface of HIV-infected white blood cells that can be used to eradicate reservoirs of the viral infection throughout the body.

RG0BS1U.gif

Great news for all of mankind. I wonder how elated they felt when they discovered that distinct biomarker. I hope it leads to good things.

The potential of cancer and HIV cures in the future remain a great hope these days.

It was cool when Biden was on Colbert and he pointed out that Cancer research may be one of the few places Democrats can work with Republicans and get something good actually done.
Not to be a bummer but I remember reading a lengthy and incredibly depressing article on the nytimes explaining that we are mostly making very little progress on cancers and that for many types incredibly heavy and costly treatments increase life expectancy by only weeks or a few months.
Phdcomics had a similarly depressing series.

But the end of HIV does seem in sight which is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom