• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, need advice for rock concert trip (New Jersey GAF help please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so recently I was invited to see Renaissance live on a date from there upcoming tour. Closest date was in New Jersey and I'm in upstate NY, and had $100 to make it happen. Taking a bus down there and coming back the next day. I have a few questions about how I should act, and where should I stay afterwards.

This is my first concert, so it's rather exciting, but better than that, I get to attend the soundcheck and meet the band. I have no idea if I should be casual or very formal. I don't want to embarrass myself really. How is NJPAC? A good venue? What should I expect from there?

Secondly, after the show, I'll be stuck in New Jersey until morning since there was no return trip at night. I've dealt with layovers on my last trip, but I'll probably be waiting roughly 10 hours for this bus after the concert and VIP stuff. Should I just stay at the station (Penn Station in NJ) or does anyone in the area of Newark NJ know of any 24 hour coffee shops and the like I could stay at?

Concert is on October 10th and I'll be traveling alone. Freshmen in college, 18 years old. Mother was paranoid and suggested I bring my sister along, but I felt this sort of thing was a bit personal to me. Big fan of Renaissance, while she's not familiar with them. Would have loved to taken someone along that was a fan. Either way, am I setting myself up for a sloppy mess of a trip or a nice night out?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Be casual, formal would be a weird choice.

Also, who invited you? Can you not just stay with them?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
First of all you do not want to be wandering around Newark in the middle of the night.

I'd catch an Uber to rt 3 in clitfon or something and find a cheap hotel for the night, there's a bunch in the area because of the airport.

Ultima_5

Dude get a cheap hotel or something. You don't want to be awake after a concert

People at concerts are always super friendly too so feel free to make convo wjth strangers

Have fun dude

You wouldn't be able to wait in the Station since it closes at 1am.

I live in Newark and you definitely don't wanna be anywhere outside at night. I think the Uber ride to Clifton is the best bet.

EDIT: there's also Hotel Rivera in Newark. Not too far from the station

Fuck... I'll basically have enough to cover food while I'm there and that's about it. Hotel is out of the question. Is Newark really that shady to be around at night? And the station closes at 1am?! No wonder there was no return trip until the morning.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Fuck... I'll basically have enough to cover food while I'm there and that's about it. Hotel is out of the question. Is Newark really that shady to be around at night? And the station closes at 1am?! No wonder there was no return trip until the morning.

Dude, you should borrow some money.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's definitely not somewhere you wanna be walking around at night.

Yes, it really is that shady. Don't walk around Newark at night.

Okay... so I might not be able to go on the grounds of it being incredibly unsafe now. I suppose I should ask, anywhere near NJPAC open 24 hours I can chill out and not having the fear of getting mugged/killed?

surrogate

I think you may be better off trying to find a different travel route for the return trip that doesn't require you to wait in Newark until the morning. According to NJ Transit, there are trains out of Newark to New York at 11:22 PM, 12:50 AM, & 1:36 AM on the weekend.

Ron Mexico

I think you may be better off trying to find a different travel route for the return trip that doesn't require you to wait in Newark until the morning. According to NJ Transit, there are trains out of Newark to New York at 11:22 PM, 12:50 AM, & 1:36 AM on the weekend.

Pretty much this. Newark has come a long way from what it used to be, but there's no way on earth I'd be out there in the middle of the night. I'd imagine NY Penn Station is your best bet.

I googled "Newark at night" and found this advice:

Have You.
1. Updated Your Will
2. Include D&R Instructions
3. Remembered your Glock
4. Turned on your GPS
5. Said your prayers

I live 20 mins from Newark and that's one of the last places I'd want to be alone at night. Camden being a worse alternative. If you don't have a plan getting home I'd say get to NYC and plan your travel out of there.

Ron Mexico

I live 20 mins from Newark and that's one of the last places I'd want to be alone at night. Camden being a worse alternative. If you don't have a plan getting home I'd say get to NYC and plan your travel out of there.

True story-- I used to manage an Electronics Boutique in Cherry Hill. One of my employees was from Camden and didn't drive. We had a midnight launch (Warcraft 3? Maybe? Was so long ago I forget) and he and I were the ones scheduled to work. Said I'd give him a ride home since it would be like 2 am. Alternator died on Rt 70. Still thought I could drop him off and get back to Cherry Hill (I was an idiot). Car died completely on a corner in Camden at just before 3 am. Not a place to be stranded.

Shit... Already have the non refundable bus ticket. Might have to bail on this one, unfortunately. As much as I'd like to go to the gig, people are making it sound like I could legit DIE out there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shit... Already have the non refundable bus ticket. Might have to bail on this one, unfortunately. As much as I'd like to go to the gig, people are making it sound like I could legit DIE out there.

It's a concert, its no big deal at all lol

If you have nowhere to stay get on the internet and get yourself a motel room its all good man

Winter John

You won't die. Go to a club and find someone who will let you crash for the night. Or go to Andros Diner on Wilson. That was open all night last time I was there.

surrogate

You could take the train to NY Penn Station after the show and take it back to Newark in the morning to catch your bus. It is $5.25 each way.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Brick City!

Have fun lol

Think it was the car theft capital for a few years. But it gave us Redman!

I was just up their this last week. Son had a game on Brill Street at River Front Park.

As a South Jersey person (Burlington/Camden County)
North Jersey SUCKS! lol

Brick City!

Have fun lol

Think it was the car theft capital for a few years. But it gave us Redman!

I was just up their this last week. Son had a game on Brill Street at River Front Park.

As a South Jersey person (Burlington/Camden County)
North Jersey SUCKS! lol
Don't be hatin. You realize we have instant access to one of the greatest cities in the world up here and you have easy access to Philly.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I live in the area and I'm not trying to scare you out of going, but it's legitimately one of the last places in the country you would want to be wandering around by yourself late at night.

If a hotel is out of the question I would just take an uber to tick tock diner or something else that's open all night in the clifton area.

You could take the train to NY Penn Station after the show and take it back to Newark in the morning to catch your bus. It is $5.25 each way.

Do this. There are tons of places around Penn that will be open 24hrs (including Penn Station itself). Just get back on the train in the morning.

How long is each trip? I want to make sure I can be back for the bus in Newark. And can I just hop on or is the seating reserved?

nampad

Sounds like a family sitcom episode.

I can't imagine hanging around somewhere 10 hours to wait for a bus. But apparently it seems to be not the nicest area to hang around at night so I would probably still just wait at the bus station.

Discussed this with my mom (18, so I guess it doesn't matter either way) and she's incredibly paranoid I'll get mugged/robbed/etc. even in NYC. I'm under the impression since it's the city that never sleeps, even in the event something like that ever happened, there'd be a fuckton of people around, right? Having seconds thoughts again.

Going out a limb here, and if this is completely out of the question for discussion on GAF, delete this post, but would anybody consider letting me stay overnight in the Newark area? I'll sleep on your floor, and be out within hours. Sorta a last ditch effort but figured I would try.

MadSexual

Take it from an experienced concert-goer who's hung out with a few bands: the stress of your logistical circumstances will ruin the experience for you. Concerts are cool, but not worth it in that context. If they're an active band, they'll come around again when you're more equipped to accommodate yourself.

surrogate

9:30am on the 11th.

Below are the trains from NY to Newark on 10/11 that arrive before your bus departs. The last one is cutting it a bit too close for my liking.

05:10 AM Northeast Corridor #7813 05:28 AM 18 minutes
06:07 AM North Jersey Coast #7217 06:25 AM 18 minutes
06:13 AM Northeast Corridor #7817 06:32 AM 19 minutes
07:07 AM North Jersey Coast #7221 07:25 AM 18 minutes
07:14 AM Northeast Corridor #7821 07:32 AM 18 minutes
08:07 AM North Jersey Coast #7225 08:25 AM 18 minutes
08:14 AM Northeast Corridor #7825 08:32 AM 18 minutes
09:07 AM North Jersey Coast #7229 09:25 AM 18 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom