• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla special effects director Kichi Kawakita passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bb2aOZRCYAEK2jE.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-director-koichi-kawakita-passes-away/.82037

Surprised at the lack of news

Movie visual effects director Kōichi Kawakita passed away on December 5 due to liver failure. He was 72. A funeral service was held for close relatives, with his wife Toshiko as chief mourner. A memorial service is planned in the future.

Kawakita was born in Tokyo on December 5, 1942. He worked as the special effects director for six Heisei Godzilla feature films, including Godzilla vs. King Ghidora. He also worked on other films such as Gunhed and 1996's Mothra, as well as television projects such as Chōseishin GranSazer.

This is the closest I have for a sad Godzilla

godzilla20141080pbrrijmuen.jpg

Ridley327

RIP

Anyone know what he did specifically? There was always about four or five guys working on the effects of those films.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RIP

Anyone know what he did specifically? There was always about four or five guys working on the effects of those films.

according to wiki

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
Yamato Takeru (1994)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
Rebirth of Mothra (1996)
Rebirth of Mothra II (1997)

Wow, he did Rebirth of Mothra and vs. Biollante!

Retro

I grew up on the Showa series, but the Heisei films have been a really nice surprise now that I've been able to see them (they were close to impossible to find in the US when they first came out). They were still using practical effects at that point too, so whatever faults I can find with the movies, his work definitely isn't among them. Even something I'd put really low on my list like Vs. Spacegodzilla still had great effects work.

Really awful news.

Ridley327

according to wiki

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
Yamato Takeru (1994)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
Rebirth of Mothra (1996)
Rebirth of Mothra II (1997)

Wow, he did Rebirth of Mothra and vs. Biollante!

I'm not a fan of the film itself, but Biollante itself is a practical effects miracle, so that's really damn fine work to be remembered for.

Sephzilla

I'm not a fan of the film itself, but Biollante itself is a practical effects miracle, so that's really damn fine work to be remembered for.
Yeah I watched Vs Biollante last year and it doesn't hold up as well as I thought. But Biollante the monster is probably the best Godzilla kaiju ever. I really want that monster to reappear some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom