• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Had my first kidney stone the other day. Was as bad if not worse as the stories say

itxaka

Defeatist
Yeah, also had one like a couple of months ago. It was small, didn't even noticed but it seems to have scratched my tubes during passing and that pain...that pain was the worst pain I had ever experienced, I remember shouting at my wife to call an ambulance because I thought It was a renal failure or something like that, as I was probably dying. Like otherwise how the fuck you get that much pain for something that small, it made no sense to me.

Anyway, almost passed out due to the fucking pain, what a horrible experience. Thankfully they gave me some drugs, falled sleep, and that was it. Checks afterwards showed that I had nothing inside left, only some blood in my urine so it had to be small as fuck but I was unlucky enough to have it ripe a tear. Cant believe what the pain would be if I also had to pass a fucking stone...

Also had some very weird feeling all around the uretras and genitals for like a month. Was worried the whole month that I would need to go back due to another episode happening. Worst month of my life.

Hardensoul

I still remember my first one. On the hospital floor squirming around moaning. You try and contort your body into any position that might relieve the pain even a little bit but nothing does. I felt like they probably thought I was going through some kind of drug withdrawals. 😂 Never been so sure I was going to die.

Second time I had one was shortly after my wife left me and I lived alone, halfway across the country from any family. Dragged my ass to the hospital and spent the night there in existential and physical dread. That’s is the day I truly became a man! 😂
I can only laugh now, first time was worst. I was in so much pain I felt embarrassed to ask my friend to take me to ER. 2nd time felt like a blur now but I was able to drive myself to ER.

Yes. Suffered with them on and off for years.

The worst and last time was in 2019.

I had the agonising pain in my left flank and knew right away it was kidney stones, but this one was easily the most painful of all. Anyway, got to the hospital where they shot my up with morphine and after a scan, they told me I needed an operation to remove the stone because it was far too large to pass through. Basically, the stone was jammed in my ureter tube.

I was told the operation was low risk. They would shove a small, telescopic tube with a laser and camera attached up my dick, then zap the stone into small fragments and then remove the fragments. So I had the operation and it was a success, but the downfall of it was they needed to keep my ureter with a stent, which is a piece of plastic about 12 inches long........which I would need to remove from my kidney myself at home! They tied a bit of string to the end of the stent, then the other end of the string came out of my dick and was taped on the base of my dick.

Few days later I had to pull a 12inch long piece of plastic from my cock. Because you get the urge to pee as your doing this, I had to do it in the shower and as soon as I pulled it out (slowly, while screaming like a bitch), I peed a shit ton of blood out with it. Was like a horror film.

It then got worse with a further botched operation, almost dying from sepsis due to my kidney leaking blood and fluid, having a third stent and then lying naked on a hospital bed while three nurses, a urologist and his understudy rammed a claw up my cock to remove the third stent............ while I was awake.

Fuck kidney stones.
Wouldnt this have caused nerve damage too? Are you able to have erections that are not painful? Man so sorry for all the men who had to go through this..

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, also had one like a couple of months ago. It was small, didn't even noticed but it seems to have scratched my tubes during passing and that pain...that pain was the worst pain I had ever experienced, I remember shouting at my wife to call an ambulance because I thought It was a renal failure or something like that, as I was probably dying. Like otherwise how the fuck you get that much pain for something that small, it made no sense to me.

Anyway, almost passed out due to the fucking pain, what a horrible experience. Thankfully they gave me some drugs, falled sleep, and that was it. Checks afterwards showed that I had nothing inside left, only some blood in my urine so it had to be small as fuck but I was unlucky enough to have it ripe a tear. Cant believe what the pain would be if I also had to pass a fucking stone...

Also had some very weird feeling all around the uretras and genitals for like a month. Was worried the whole month that I would need to go back due to another episode happening. Worst month of my life.
This is basically what happened to me. Some residual pain. I woke up today with some and was worried I was having another, but my urologist ensured me that it's just some soreness that will linger for some time. Could even take a few weeks. And that I'd know if it was another kidney stone attack.

Hardensoul

Damn! Just got my 3rd kidney stone. This one was the most painful. It was so painful I started sweating.

Got to work, 30mins pain started. 30mins later pain gotten worst, told my boss I’m go home to rest.

Driving home was excruciating, pain started getting worst. I was squirming in the seat, cursing out all the red lights and drivers ahead of me😂. At this point the pain got so bad I started sweating, now decided to head to hospital.

At hospital I could not stay still, couldn’t stay in bed. Ask the nurse to start giving me the pain meds, she said we already did thru the IV😂😞. Gave me another and also steroids, fell asleep for 1-2hrs. Scans showed it was size .5cm stone.

Currently at home no pain but still feel discomfort! This is odd from my first stones had pain for few days until it passed.

Hardensoul

*fills up my Brita filter jug*
It's likely my salt in take, I drink at least a liter of water a day and green tea which is supposed to help prevent kidney stones. And couple months ago diagnose with high blood pressure, which is not coincidence due to my alt intake. No more salted pistachios or slated sunflower seeds.

anthony2690

Banned
I use to get the most awful pain in my side and I'd be rolling around in agony (honestly the worst feeling in my life)
I mentioned it to a friend in Xbox and she suggested I stop drinking fizzy drinks, years later I've never had the pain again since.
I only drink Evian bottled water now, much better for me health wise anyway :)

I think mine was related to my Gallbladder though, I could be wrong though (are they both similar pain wise?)

But it was the worst.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Damn! Just got my 3rd kidney stone. This one was the most painful. It was so painful I started sweating.

Got to work, 30mins pain started. 30mins later pain gotten worst, told my boss I’m go home to rest.

Driving home was excruciating, pain started getting worst. I was squirming in the seat, cursing out all the red lights and drivers ahead of me😂. At this point the pain got so bad I started sweating, now decided to head to hospital.

At hospital I could not stay still, couldn’t stay in bed. Ask the nurse to start giving me the pain meds, she said we already did thru the IV😂😞. Gave me another and also steroids, fell asleep for 1-2hrs. Scans showed it was size .5cm stone.

Currently at home no pain but still feel discomfort! This is odd from my first stones had pain for few days until it passed.
The longer they stay in your system, the bigger they get. This is why it is important to drink lots of liquids, as it increases likelihood the stone will discharge.

If you can collect the stone when it passes, take it in to the Doc. They can analyze it and give you an idea of what types of foods & bev to avoid.

Hardensoul

The longer they stay in your system, the bigger they get. This is why it is important to drink lots of liquids, as it increases likelihood the stone will discharge.

If you can collect the stone when it passes, take it in to the Doc. They can analyze it and give you an idea of what types of foods & bev to avoid.
Yup, got the strainer ready. Lots of water and the Flomax! Hope I pass it this weekend! Don’t want to carry that to work! 😂

Lanrutcon

Never had a kidney stone before.

But if I did, you'd bet your ass I'd store it in my body until the opportune time to launch it at my nemesis in a daring surprise attack.

Hydroxy

I got my first kidney stone this past December and definitely worst stomach ache I've had. At first thought it was food poisoning, puked like a dozen times but the pain wouldn't let up. Got myself admitted, got diagnosed with stone. I must have been in constant pain for about 12 hours.

Tams

Neogaf before this thread

water drinking GIF

Neogaf after reading the OP post

water drinking GIF

Careful though, as overhydration can be really fucking bad as well.

Sorry for your experience OP. Had some friends go through the same thing and I literally shudder thinking about it. I mean look at this. THIS is what passes through you:

H52mM0E.jpg

Shudder....

Type IVd looks like absolute hell.

Soda is pretty much mostly what I drink :messenger_loudly_crying:.
Yeah I get one every 2 years or so. Last time was particularly bad. Was peeing blood at the end.
For me I find lying on the floor with a hot shower spraying on my back relieves a little bit of pain.
probably get them from drinking so many energy drinks.

You two need to lay off the sugary drinks. As an occasional treat, fine, but absolutely don't drink them every day, or even several times a week.

phantom89

Neo Member
I've had two kidney stones and been a broken mess ever since.

I still remember the date of my 2nd. March 5th, 2008. It started on the Saturday, as a dull pain in my back but by the Wednesday, I was totally incapacitated. Have drunk LITRES of water since. I was in the middle of work when I had the most excruciating flank pain. Like being shot and stabbed in my groin. Went home, lay in bed, thought death was coming. Somehow made it to the hospital where they got me to piss into a beaker. Was told I had a small stone, was given pain meds. Had to go into work the next day with milk and pills and was totally out of it. Got sent home soon after.

I've been in tears in work thinking about it, I always have this nagging right sided pain, always. Trust me, anytime someone starts acting cocky, shut the hell up 'cos life will come along, and stab you in the side and give you a kidney stone and you'll be a bawling, crying mess in the emergency room, and the nurses will say 'it's just a stone.' That was the case with me, anyway.

NahaNago

You two need to lay off the sugary drinks. As an occasional treat, fine, but absolutely don't drink them every day, or even several times a week.
I've been working on expanding what I drink every day by drinking water and gatorades but unfortunately I still drink soda every day. I'm hoping I can get to the point where I only drink soda as a treat in the future.

Hardensoul

I've been working on expanding what I drink every day by drinking water and gatorades but unfortunately I still drink soda every day. I'm hoping I can get to the point where I only drink soda as a treat in the future.
Unfortunately Gatorade has sugar in it too, less than sodas but still! Good health to you!

Hope I can do same to lower my salt content, food taste so different. As an Asian my household put salt, msg and fish sauce in practically every dish lol

NahaNago

Unfortunately Gatorade has sugar in it too, less than sodas but still! Good health to you!

Hope I can do same to lower my salt content, food taste so different. As an Asian my household put salt, msg and fish sauce in practically every dish lol
I've been worried about the amount of salt I've been consuming as well. I've been eating a cup of spicy noodles nearly every day for dinner. My diet is just completely unhealthy. I can't say I'm feeling my age but I'm getting more paranoid the closer I get to 40, so I'd like to eat more healthy.

My dad completely americanized our diet when we were kids so I never really ate much Asian food growing up outside of like 2 or 3 dishes regularly.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I've been worried about the amount of salt I've been consuming as well. I've been eating a cup of spicy noodles nearly every day for dinner. My diet is just completely unhealthy. I can't say I'm feeling my age but I'm getting more paranoid the closer I get to 40, so I'd like to eat more healthy.

My dad completely americanized our diet when we were kids so I never really ate much Asian food growing up outside of like 2 or 3 dishes regularly.
Last few years especially since the pandemic, I’ve not eaten much vegetables in my diet! Recipe for disaster! Which likely explains my recent stones since 12yrs ago!

NahaNago

Last few years especially since the pandemic, I’ve not eaten much vegetables in my diet! Recipe for disaster! Which likely explains my recent stones since 12yrs ago!
I use to eat fruits all the time before I changed jobs but I haven't had any in months now that I think about it. I'll add bananas and oranges to my groceries next time I go shopping. I was eating more salad when I had stopped working for a couple of months but now I'm back to frozen meals and ramen for all meals these days.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had a follow up appointment a couple days ago and got an ultrasound and they said the stone that was shown on the CT scan didn't show up on the ultrasound. First good piece of medical news I've gotten in a while, thank the F christ. Not sure if all the lemon juice I've been pounding down broke it down enough for me to pass it without knowing or something. I guess there's an outside chance the ultrasound didn't pick up on it and it's still there, they told me if I have any pain again they'll order another CT scan. But my ultrasound I had on my kidneys the other day were clean, no stones.

I guess lemon juice is going to be part of my daily diet. I've been drinking it mixed with water without any sugar so it's sour as hell and tastes bad, and I drink like 20 oz of it per day. But worth it if it's going to help.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Had one Sept 2020 it was bad, but not that bad took me out of commission for almost a month and was really weird when it randomly came out painlessly with my pee BUT tooth/nerve pain is so SO much worse maybe I just got lucky

teezzy

Banned
I used to get kidney stones until I stopped drinking soda. If you can, catch one through a strainer and have your doc analyze it. They can tell you what it is made of and give recommendations on what potential sources cause it. This should help alleviate the future pain.

You should keep em in a jar next to your Funko Pops

pramod

Banned
So I found this thread since I got this horrible pain in my sides and back for a few days now.

My doctor says it might be a kidney stone, but he's not sure.

So I don't know what to do. The throbbing pain comes and goes and is annoying but so far not delibitating. But it's been there for a couple of days now and is just getting worse.

Do kidney stones usually last this long?

BigBooper

So I found this thread since I got this horrible pain in my sides and back for a few days now.

My doctor says it might be a kidney stone, but he's not sure.

So I don't know what to do. The throbbing pain comes and goes and is annoying but so far not delibitating. But it's been there for a couple of days now and is just getting worse.

Do kidney stones usually last this long?
Yes, they can last for several weeks or even have to be surgically or medically removed. Did your doctor not perform any tests or xray?

Top Bottom