• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearing loss of US diplomats in Cuba blamed on secret sonic device

Oppo

That is extremely weird, and actually not really in character for the Cubans. What could possibly be the upside here?

I would almost believe a virus or something, or 3rd party actor, 'cause I just don't see why they would jeopardize normalization of relations with the US.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Russia wants rapprochement with the US why would they sabotage relations with a third party country? Especially when, if its them, it will eventually come out

My guess is 1) its a natural phenom or 2) its mass delusion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness)

Nope to both. There is no recorded observation that literal deafening of several people through hysteria has happened. Things like actually feeling sick and coming down with symptoms like dizziness, fainting and vomiting because of hysteria does happen.

The presence of such technology is really sinister. You could hurt the hearing of a population of people without them ever knowing something is wrong until the damage is done. I can only hope such a device never falls into the Black Market.

Top Bottom