• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Houston's Unregulated Growth Contributed To Harvey's Flooding Disaster

This delves into the planning aspects of Houston and how it contributed to this tragic event. Hopefully the city will see just how crucial it is to implement mitigation and prevention techniques into design, landscape, and drainage systems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...harvey-urban-planning/?utm_term=.22f6a58fc145

Houston calls itself “the city with no limits” to convey the promise of boundless opportunity. But it also is the largest U.S. city to have no zoning laws, part of a hands-off approach to urban planning that may have contributed to catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Harvey and left thousands of residents in harm’s way.

Growth that is virtually unchecked, including in flood-prone areas, has diminished the land’s already-limited natural ability to absorb water, according to environmentalists and experts in land use and natural disasters. And the city’s drainage system — a network of reservoirs, bayous and, as a last resort, roads that hold and drain water — was not designed to handle the massive storms that are increasingly common.

Certainly, the record-shattering rainfall on Houston and its surrounding area this week would have wreaked havoc even if stricter building limits and better runoff systems were in place. And local officials have defended the city’s approach to development.

But the unfolding disaster — at least 22 people are dead and 30 percent of Harris County, which includes Houston, is underwater — is drawing renewed scrutiny to Houston’s approach to city planning and its unique system for managing floodwater.

“You would have seen widespread damage with Harvey no matter what, but I have no doubt it could have been substantially reduced,” said Jim Blackburn, co-director of Rice University’s research center on severe storm prediction and disaster evacuation.

Over many years, officials in Houston and Harris County have resisted calls for more stringent building codes. Proposals for large-scale flood-control projects envisioned in the wake of Hurricane Ike in 2008 stalled. City residents have voted three times not to enact a zoning code, most recently in 1993.

Rather than impose restrictions on what property owners can do with their land, Houston has attempted to engineer a solution to drainage. The region depends on a network of bayous — slow-moving streams that run east into Galveston Bay — and concrete channels as the main drainage system. Streets and detention ponds are designed to carry and hold the overflow.

In previous public comments, the leaders of the Harris County Flood Control District have rejected the idea that the city’s growth is responsible for massive flooding. They also have disputed the scientific assessments. Those officials were not available this week.

Bill St. John, a retired civil engineer and former project manager for the district, said in an interview: “There are people who would turn around and say there needed to be stronger rules and regulations. And in hindsight, it’s real easy to say that. But the rules and regulations were what they needed to be at the time. There was no scientific proof it needed to be stronger at the time, so it wasn’t.”

But in a city built on a low-lying coastal plain, on “black gumbo,” clay-based soil that is among the least absorbent in the nation, many experts say those approaches no longer suffice. They say that new homes should be elevated and that construction should be prohibited in some flood-prone areas.

Since 2010, at least 7,000 residential buildings have been constructed in Harris County on properties that sit mostly on land the federal government has designated as a 100-year flood plain, according to a Washington Post review of areas at the greatest risk of flooding. Some other cities also allow building in flood plains, with varying degrees of regulation.

“Houston is the Wild West of development, so any mention of regulation creates a hostile reaction from people who see that as an infringement on property rights and a deterrent to economic growth,” said Sam Brody, director of the Center for Texas Beaches and Shores at Texas A&M University. “The stormwater system has never been designed for anything much stronger than a heavy afternoon thunderstorm.”

At the same time, severe storms are becoming more frequent, experts said. The city’s building laws are designed to guard against what was once considered a worst-case scenario — a 100-year storm, or one that planners projected would have only a 1 percent chance of happening in any given year. Those storms have become quite common, however. Harvey, which dumped up to 50 inches of rain in some places as of Tuesday afternoon, is the third such storm to hit Houston in the past three years.

In May 2015, seven people died after 12 inches of rain fell in 10 hours during what is known as the Memorial Day Flood. Eight people died in April 2016 during a storm that dropped 17 inches of rain.

Like other coastal areas, Houston and its surrounding areas have repeatedly turned to federal taxpayers for help rebuilding.

Harris County has received about $3 billion from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for losses in the past four decades, federal data show. It ranks third in the amount paid by the National Flood Insurance Program, behind Orleans and Jefferson parishes in Louisiana, which sustained significant damage during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

An overhead view of the flooding in Houston, from Buffalo Bayou on Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway, is seen as heavy rain continued to fall on Monday in Houston, which is still largely paralyzed. (Karen Warren/Houston Chronicle via Associated Press)
In the 1940s, the Army Corps of Engineers built two massive reservoirs that serve as holding areas during big downpours. In the following decades, the city carved out additional concrete channels and lined bayous with pavement to shunt water away.

“The system is dependent on bayous that have been there forever and had a certain capacity,” said Gerry Galloway, a professor of civil engineering at the University of Maryland and a visiting professor at Texas A&M. “Over the years, that was probably a reasonable way to deal with this. As the city grew, and there was more development, there was less and less capacity to carry the runoff.”

Houston’s population climbed to 2.2 million in 2015, a 25 percent increase from 1995. Harris County had an even bigger bump over that time, 42 percent, and now has 4.4 million residents. As the population grew, the city expanded, covering fallow land that had served as a natural sponge.

Between 1992 and 2010, 30 percent of the surrounding county’s coastal prairie wetlands were paved over, according to a 2010 report from Texas A&M.

Projects to widen the bayous and build thousands of retention ponds for excess water have not kept pace with the new rooftops, roadways and parking lots needed to accommodate about 150,000 new residents a year, experts say. As a backup, roads were built below grade and designed to take on excess water when storm drains overflow.

“The philosophy was: Wouldn’t you rather have water in the street than in your house?” said D. Wayne Klotz, a water resources engineer and senior principal at RPS Klotz Associates and a former national president of the American Society of Civil Engineers.

When the streets fill up, though, evacuation becomes more difficult.

In the days before Harvey struck, city officials urged residents to stay put. On social media, local officials knocked down predictions that as many as 50 inches of rain were expected — reports that overstated the forecast at the time but turned out to align more closely with the eventual rainfall.

When the rain came, roads turned into waterways, requiring door-to-door boat rescues.

In many areas of the city, especially the older parts, water that breaches the roadways flows into homes that sit on ground-level slabs. Blackburn said that requiring higher elevations of homes in flood-prone areas — the current requirement is one foot above the level of a “100-year storm” — would have stemmed the losses from Harvey and past storms.

John Jacob, director of the Texas Coastal Watershed Program and a professor at Texas A&M, said he was particularly incensed to hear about a nursing home in Dickinson, southeast of Houston, where residents in wheelchairs were sitting in waist-deep water. They were rescued after photos of them went viral on social media.

“That should never have been built,” Jacob said of the nursing home that sits across the street from the floodplain boundary. “We’re putting people in harm’s way.”

Jacob lives in a neighborhood east of downtown called Eastwood that he said was spared from flooding damage because many lots are above street level, and homes have been built on “pier and beam” foundations that include a crawl space of a few feet. That adds thousands of dollars to the cost and isn’t required by city or county building codes.

I wish the planning department best of luck and hope they can get the city back on its feet.

120v

as somebody who's lived here all my life and witnessed the sprawl, the flawed infrastructure and vulnerability, it was all just a matter of time unfortunately

hopefully we can engineer our way into something sustainable, because it's going to happen again

How the fuck are we going to fix this when we can't seem to finish the construction of 290 or even 45? It's been going on for years.

I'm not sure how any city could handle what Houston is going through. I'd argue that given the historic nature of the storm, the city is fairing quite well. Apparently many of the roads/highways are designed to act as channels for floodwaters. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if the water was in residential areas even more versus on roads. The fact that the death toll seems to be so low for now is a testament to how the city was able to handle the floodwaters. Of course I'm not declaring anything over at this point, but at least so far that is my impression.

Any land pretty much anywhere in the US, especially in the south, was swampland or similar at one point and has had natural drainage impacted significantly. But I guess the notion of placing residential areas/care facilities near major flood-zones is problematic.

Lesath

Bill St. John, a retired civil engineer and former project manager for the district, said in an interview: “There are people who would turn around and say there needed to be stronger rules and regulations. And in hindsight, it’s real easy to say that. But the rules and regulations were what they needed to be at the time. There was no scientific proof it needed to be stronger at the time, so it wasn’t.”

Yes, sort of like how you don't envision needing a fire extinguisher until there's an actual fire.

as somebody who's lived here all my life and witnessed the sprawl, the flawed infrastructure and vulnerability, it was all just a matter of time unfortunately

hopefully we can engineer our way into something sustainable, because it's going to happen again

Some of the promised emergency funds should be contingent on implementation of better flood containment infrastructure and the enforcement of no-construction flood zones. But it won't be.

How the fuck are we going to fix this when we can't seem to finish the construction of 290 or even 45? It's been going on for years.

I think another thing that makes the issue difficult to fix is the fact that you just simply can't tear down what is built. Economic investment is displaced. People are established. Once you build, its difficult to reverse what you have done. So you're stuck with the infrastructure you have.

Mindlog

Yes, sort of like how you don't envision needing a fire extinguisher until there's an actual fire.
Well in this case it would be a fire extinguisher capable of putting out a magnesium fire.

Clearly more care has to be taken with regards to growth and flood management, but this is far beyond the worst case scenario. We're talking building to survive asteroid impacts.

Cat Party

I'm not sure how any city could handle what Houston is going through. I'd argue that given the historic nature of the storm, the city is fairing quite well. Apparently many of the roads/highways are designed to act as channels for floodwaters. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if the water was in residential areas even more versus on roads. The fact that the death toll seems to be so low for now is a testament to how the city was able to handle the floodwaters. Of course I'm not declaring anything over at this point, but at least so far that is my impression.
Might want to wait until the floodwaters recede before making statements like this.

ReAxion

native socal gafer who visited houston once and had to escape a flash flood in a rental car: its insane. it wasn't even a notable downfall. the car's abs system was throwing errors at me i'd never seen before in a car.

i also heard city planning requires each building requires a dedicated number of parking spaces, like you can't share spots with the building across from you. i assume this is due to heavy oil company influence that doesn't want you to walk across a parking lot from the bank to the whataburger while just parking in one spot. i have no idea if that's fact, but it passed the eye test.

Chumly

Any land pretty much anywhere in the US, especially in the south, was swampland or similar at one point and has had natural drainage impacted significantly. But I guess the notion of placing residential areas/care facilities near major flood-zones is problematic.
Honestly it doesn't appear you read any of the article. If they have had three flooding disasters in three years then something isn't right. Using roads as a fail safe is a disaster in the making as we've seen with Harvey. How were those people supposed to escape?

i also heard city planning requires each building requires a dedicated number of parking spaces, like you can't share spots with the building across from you. i assume this is due to heavy oil company influence that doesn't want you to walk across a parking lot from the bank to the whataburger while just parking in one spot. i have no idea if that's fact, but it passed the eye test.

I wouldn't be surprised, although the high levels of parking also has to do with the fact that businesses must provide maximum parking at all times. Basically, the number of parking spaces required is based on events like Black Friday.

Houston is the poster child for suburban sprawl. There was no forethought into managing it's growth and handling the types of problems that come with a fast growing population. If people think that Harvey is going to be a once in a lifetime event they are fooling themselves. The city really needs to manage it's growth in a more sustainable way and be prepared to handle storms of Harvey's magnitude in the future. Unfortunately that means implementing taxes to fund the sort of engineering projects needed to handle this types of floods, which is extremely difficult to get the citizens to agree to when times are good. Hopefully now that the city has been hit with this disaster it's citizens will understand the need to better fund the civil engineering projects that are needed and to better manage the cities growth.

I wouldn't be surprised to see federal spending for Houston's recovery to top 10 billion dollars which is fine for extreme events, but people are not going to be as forgiving if we have to bail them out over and over because Houston kept developing in floodplains that never should have been developed on.

Lesath

Well in this case it would be a fire extinguisher capable of putting out a magnesium fire.

Clearly more care has to be taken with regards to growth and flood management, but this is far beyond the worst case scenario. We're talking building to survive asteroid impacts.

Asteroid impacts? Don't be silly.

The severity of the flood was exacerbated by the fact that people developed on top of flood plains despite warnings, and this is worsened by the fact that concrete is *much* worse at absorbing the water than soil.

But please, continue the goddamn trend of ignoring warnings from climate and evironmental scientists until it's too late. How many lives and livelihoods are worth the laurels you rest on?

ReAxion

I wouldn't be surprised, although the high levels of parking also has to do with the fact that businesses must provide maximum parking at all times. Basically, the number of parking spaces required is based on events like Black Friday.

yeah that seems crazy to me and definitely a sign they didn't give a damn about sprawl. drainage is a whole other issue i can't begin to tackle, i'm no engineer. but the parking sitch was an eye opener.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Pretty sure that's a fairly common zoning issue in most cities. Los Angeles uses a few different ratios to determine how many parking spaces are required based on the building's square footage and the building's purpose.

yeah that seems crazy to me and definitely a sign they didn't give a damn about sprawl. drainage is a whole other issue i can't begin to tackle, i'm no engineer. but the parking sitch was an eye opener.

Not related to the article, but I hate seeing miles after miles of parking lots. Fuck strip malls.

ReAxion

Pretty sure that's a fairly common zoning issue in most cities. Los Angeles uses a few different ratios to determine how many parking spaces are required based on the building's square footage and the building's purpose.

oh yeah, for sure. i think they just went a bit crazy on their particular ratio.

Not related to the article, but I hate seeing miles after miles of parking lots. Fuck strip malls.

aside from the excellent opportunities it can provide immigrants to offer me their awesome foods: yes 💯

Honestly it doesn't appear you read any of the article. If they have had three flooding disasters in three years then something isn't right. Using roads as a fail safe is a disaster in the making as we've seen with Harvey. How were those people supposed to escape?
I mean, I did mention the flood zone issue. Houston sprawl is what it is and in 3 years there likely hasn't been much of a change. Obviously the weather and climate have become more extreme in recent years. Which in turn certainly further highlights the issues with sprawl.

As for how people are supposed to escape, you can't evacuate six million plus people. Not with this notice. You'd probably need a week to get everyone out responsibly. However, our forecasting of these storms are not that accurate where you can order an evacuation that far in advance. So if in reality, the best move is to stay put and off the roads, why not use the roads for drainage to minimize the impact of an event like this in residential areas as much as possible?

I mean, I did mention the flood zone issue. Houston sprawl is what it is and in 3 years there likely hasn't been much of a change. Obviously the weather and climate have become more extreme in recent years. Which in turn certainly further highlights the issues with sprawl.

As for how people are supposed to escape, you can't evacuate six million plus people. Not with this notice. You'd probably need a week to get everyone out responsibly. However, our forecasting of these storms are not that accurate where you can order an evacuation that far in advance. So if in reality, the best move is to stay put and off the roads, why not use the roads for drainage to minimize the impact of an event like this in residential areas as much as possible?

I don't know if the roads are connected to proper drainage basins, but I don't know their road systems extensively.

NO zoning laws? What the fuck? So I can stick a plastics factory right next to a childcare centre?

1024x1024.jpg

kirblar

NO zoning laws? What the fuck? So I can stick a plastics factory right next to a childcare centre?
On the flip side, you can build dense housing much easier.

They've clearly needed much more in the way of safety oriented zoning without bringing the scourge of NIMBYism with it. Hopefully they can adjust going forward.

Chumly

Using roads as a drainage system is basically the cheap way out. One of the points of the article is that this is a terrible fucking idea. If it's not feasible to quickly evacuate 6 million people due to the fact we can't give accurate long range forecasts then the most logical conclusion would be that Houston needs to invest more in flood prevention. Which they haven't done.

Also just to clarify. This isn't necessarily climate change that is screwing houston. The urban sprawl has literally redefined the flood plains. What used to be a 1 in 100 year flood honestly probably isn't anymore. The amount of concrete that has been put in has changed it

FUME5

It is just baffling to someone from Australia that you could put heavy industry right next to residential and not bat an eyelid.

That, and building on dense clays in a flood zone and not accounting for it. I guess that is pure capitalism at its finest.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated

Surrounding Galleria interests have tried to push/buy Zone 'd Erotica out...but I'm kinda glad they've persisted. It's always a good laugh to look out a window while at work and see a place that sells rubber sex accessories.

Surrounding Galleria interests have tried to push/buy Zone 'd Erotica out...but I'm kinda glad they've persisted. It's always a good laugh to look out a window while at work and see a place that sells rubber sex accessories.

It's such a strange, little landmark there, now, after so many years.

That said, it's usually not visible, considering it's sandwiched between a 610 overpass and that large Dillard's building behind it.

massoluk

Banned
native socal gafer who visited houston once and had to escape a flash flood in a rental car: its insane. it wasn't even a notable downfall. the car's abs system was throwing errors at me i'd never seen before in a car.

Pretty sure there was a video posted in this forum about parking lot requirement and why it's ruining everything

I mentioned it in a thread the other day, but i had an insane idea where Houston builds a massive underground reservoir to hold excess flood waters. Like 2+ trillion gallons massive.

At first when i had the idea i didn't even know if it was possible from an engineering perspective, but then I found out Japan has this exact thing, used for this exact reason. So it's definitely possible

Oh, I've always been told that Houston sits mostly on(in?) a swamp/marsh. I think that's in reference to the land - soft, soggy, wet. At least, that's the explanation I've heard for why homes don't generally have basements there.

To be honest I'm not sure about the soil properties, that's outside of my domain of expertise :). Literally calling it a swamp / marsh is quite a stretch though, I don't think that would even be inhabitable

I do know it shifts , and you end up with cracked foundations as a result. On the other hand, Tokyo has 6-7 magnitude earthquakes, so they must have faced similar engineering challenges

ViviOggi

It is just baffling to someone from Australia that you could put heavy industry right next to residential and not bat an eyelid.

That, and building on dense clays in a flood zone and not accounting for it. I guess that is pure capitalism at its finest.
Free market will sort it out

On the flip side, you can build dense housing much easier.

They've clearly needed much more in the way of safety oriented zoning without bringing the scourge of NIMBYism with it. Hopefully they can adjust going forward.

But they're not building dense housing at all. The population density of Houston is extremely low for a city it's size. Seattle has half as many people in it's metro area but twice the density because the zoning laws here promote building density.

Part of the reason it's so cheap to live in Houston is because of the lax zoning laws that are currently biting them in the ass. Land in Houston is cheap because they'll pretty much let you build whatever you want, wherever you want. As a result they put a bunch of single family housing in the flood plains and the city is nonstop highways and parking lots. The city planning has been disastrous in Houston and now people are paying with their lives and their livelyhood.

When the city recovers from Harvey, it's going to need to revisit it's lax zoning regulations and flood prevention infrastructure. These types of hurricanes will be more common in the future and the city has a responsibility to mitigate the damage much better than it currently is.

Lesath

To be honest I'm not sure about the soil properties, that's outside of my domain of expertise :). Literally calling it a swamp / marsh is quite a stretch though, I don't think that would even be inhabitable

I do know it shifts , and you end up with cracked foundations as a result. On the other hand, Tokyo has 6-7 magnitude earthquakes, so they must have faced similar engineering challenges

Swamps are just a type of wetland that are near large rivers and they are cleared and paved over for development all the time.

Dead Man

Like other coastal areas, Houston and its surrounding areas have repeatedly turned to federal taxpayers for help rebuilding.

Harris County has received about $3 billion from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for losses in the past four decades, federal data show. It ranks third in the amount paid by the National Flood Insurance Program, behind Orleans and Jefferson parishes in Louisiana, which sustained significant damage during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

I think your right to be without zoning laws is about used up, Houston.

n64coder

Swamps are just a type of wetland that are near large rivers and they are cleared and paved over for development all the time.

I'm surprised that they are allowed to pave over wetlands. Here in Mass we have strict wetland protection laws and I thought other states would have the same.

Where is this place anyway? I think teh Galleria is some sort of upscale shopping mall?

Top Bottom