• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds allege sex harassment, discrimination at Kay and Jared jewelry company

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy the Washington Post.

Washington Post said:
Hundreds of former employees of Sterling Jewelers, the multibillion-dollar conglomerate behind Jared the Galleria of Jewelry and Kay Jewelers, claim that its chief executive and other company leaders presided over a corporate culture that fostered rampant sexual harassment and discrimination, according to arbitration documents obtained by The Washington Post.

Declarations from roughly 250 women and men who worked at Sterling, filed as part of a private class-action arbitration case, allege that female employees at the company throughout the late 1990s and 2000s were routinely groped, demeaned and urged to sexually cater to their bosses to stay employed. Sterling disputes the allegations.

The arbitration was first filed in 2008 by more than a dozen women who accused the company of widespread gender discrimination. The class-action case, still unresolved, now includes 69,000 women who are current and former employees of Sterling, which operates about 1,500 stores across the country.

The statements allege that top male managers, some at the company’s headquarters near Akron, Ohio, dispatched scouting parties to stores to find female employees they wanted to sleep with, laughed about women’s bodies in the workplace, and pushed female subordinates into sex by pledging better jobs, higher pay or protection from punishment.

Though women made up a large part of Sterling’s sales force, many said they felt they had little recourse with their mostly male management. Sanya Douglas, a Kay sales associate and manager in New York between 2003 and 2008, said a manager even had a saying for male leaders coaxing women into sexual favors to advance their careers, calling it “going to the big stage.”

Many of the most striking allegations stem from the company’s annual managers meetings, which former employees described as a boozy, no-spouses-allowed “sex-fest” where attendance was mandatory and women were aggressively pursued, grabbed and harassed.

Far more at the link

In case people needed further reasons to avoid these jewelers. And sadly not unique in American corporate culture.

Jesus wept. That type of shit can kill a company.

I guess "Every Kiss Begins With Kay me telling you to keep your mouth shut if you want that promotion, toots."

Slayven

The statements allege that top male managers, some at the company’s headquarters near Akron, Ohio, dispatched scouting parties to stores to find female employees they wanted to sleep

Holy shit]

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yikes. My Mom was a manager or thereabouts at Kay Jewelers for a bunch of years back in the mid 80s to early 90s. Astonishing, while also not all that surprising, that people can be so brazen and just blatantly scummy like that these days.

Pretty sickening what happened to one of the ladies who refused.

Henry, who attended the 2005 meeting, said she was retrieving her shawl from a hotel room when a male district manager who was her father’s age, and whom she had been told to treat like a mentor, forcibly tried to kiss and touch her. Stunned, she left immediately afterward and called her parents for advice.

“I was so embarrassed,” she told The Post. “I was afraid of what would happen next, how I would be treated, if it was something he would tell other employees about.”

A few days later, she called an internal hotline to report the encounter, believing her identity would be protected. But within days of her report, a regional boss visited her store for two days, interviewed her co-workers and reviewed surveillance video before accusing her of stealing a gold necklace and $100 in cash. She told The Post she showed the boss evidence that she had not stolen anything, but Sterling fired her, a few days before she was set to receive an annual commission payment worth roughly $30,000, she alleged.

Because she was fired and accused of theft, she told The Post, she was unable to find a job at another jewelry store. Now 34, she works as a nurse in Florida.

Jag

How the fuck do companies think they can still get away with this shit.

At my company, I oversee Legal and HR reports directly to me. I can tell you myself and the CEO have ZERO tolerance for any abuse or harassment. Do it, you're gone.

How the fuck do companies think they can still get away with this shit.

This.

How could management be this completely stupid? There will always be creeps but its staggering to think that management not only let it slide, but encouraged it.

Derwind

Holy shit all those women deserve so much reparations. Cannibalize the entire company to fucking pay for it too.

And jail time for all the perpetrators involved.

My deepest sympathies to the victims.

Boke1879

I've heard stories like this from my female friends. Not from this employer but they worked at Hollister and they said regional managers would come in and often try to get the girls to go to parties. A lot of these girls were like 16 at the time.

mhayes86

"The statements allege that top male managers, some at the company’s headquarters near Akron, Ohio, dispatched scouting parties to stores to find female employees they wanted to sleep with..."

What the hell?

stock took a big dump upon news.

Good.

Two Words

The fetishization of jewelry, especially the marketing towards women and how they should fee about jewelry, is gross. I'm not too surprised the fat cats running it are gross human beings.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wooooooooooooooooooooow

Sterling, like other U.S. companies, requires all workers to waive their right to bring any employment-related disputes against their employer in public courts. Instead, complaints must be decided in arbitration — a private, quasi-legal system where cases are guaranteed little transparency.

Forced arbitration agreements at times of employment, request of service, or use of a product should be illegal.

My dad worked for De Beers. They throw away good size diamond chips from cutting machines. It's a great big scam. Remember: a diamond is forever, you young lovers.

Verelios

I feel physically sick. The whole company should be monetarily burned to the ground and reparations made for these poor women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom