• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Husky kills infant, family wants dog back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dog should be put down intermediately. And is not about justice, artificial selection and all that...

That's because people don't own cats capable of that. Some dogs are the size of a cat that can actually kill you, like the ones you find in Africa and shit. When's the last time a chihuahua killed anyone?

Yep. I'm for banning big and medium sized dog breeds.

kswiston

Lol wut? Unless you have a chihuahua you'd better put that thing down, if it's capable of doing that to its own kid its capable of attacking anyone and whilst you may not care about your own safety, it's your responsibility to care about other people's.

Male animals are not like male humans. They don't have the same investment or attachment that human dads (usually) have for their kids. Typically, you keep males away from new mother animals, even if the pups/kittens/whatever were fathered by the male. Males will occasionally kill baby animals out of jealously, frustration or anger.

Nevasleep

Not sure if we're on the same page. The husky was the attacker...there were four dogs in the home...they removed the husky and the PBT. Just couldn't figure out from the story why they singled out the non-attacking pit bull, too.
Oops, my fault for skimming through the article. Totally agree with you on that then.

This wouldn't have happened if they owned cats instead.

lol dog owners.

(I am, of course, kidding. I love both cats and dogs equally. Irrational hate for one or the other is stupid... unless there are allergies involved).

Reversed

Lol wut? Unless you have a chihuahua you'd better put that thing down, if it's capable of doing that to its own kid its capable of attacking anyone and whilst you may not care about your own safety, it's your responsibility to care about other people's.

Castration it's a better option.

I wouldn't take it for a walk; it is a very hyperactive dog that jumps on you. What I got to see with him and the puppy made me think "no way, this dog can't coexist with animals of a smaller size". That's why it's kept in a big yard (which I would like to call his playground), alongside with her partner. If you are wondering, yes, the entrance is secured.

And of course I wouldn't let kids play with him.

that's terrible. i couldn't think of a more friendly and loving breed of dogs to have around children.

Strange, I've always heard the opposite. From Husky owners no less. They say they have a wild (Wolfish) streak in them that you wouldn't find in a retriever (example for comparison.)

I personally love Scottish Terriers, but I acknowledge they have problems. They obsess over their territory and they do what they want to do when they want to do it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
A missing 2-year-old boy in Elgin was found Saturday morning after Kershaw County deputies say the family dog kept him warm and safe all night.

Kershaw County deputies used a bloodhound tracking team and a SLED helicopter with infrared capabilities, but called the search off around 12:30am Saturday. The search resumed around 7:45am, and the boy was found shortly thereafter. "Just thinking that a dog would watch a baby over the night, it's kind of like a movie instead of real life," said Emily DuBose, who lives in the house outside which the baby was found.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14369871

Boom, where's your cat now?

FyreWulff

Every time I see people leave their infant on the floor next to a big dog, my heart skips a beat. People don't understand that dogs have no concept of "human baby", it's just "small puppy" to them, and they'll act accordingly (positive or negative)

kswiston

My dad had a pair of Alaskan Malamutes at one point (maybe 25 years ago). The female was purebred and the male was a wolf/dog hybrid. While they were even tempered and friendly around people, they killed everything else they could get their paws on. Rabbits, ducks, geese, cats, other dogs. The dogs had a bad habit of breaking their chains every year or two and going on a killing spree in nearby farms. He eventually had to give them up because they were costing him too much in damages. I am not sure if Huskies have the same poor temperament towards smaller animals.

If the dog is put to death, then the parents should not be allowed to raise any more children. Dogs are animals, it is parents responsibility to ensure that no accident happens.

Strange, I've always heard the opposite. From Husky owners no less. They say they have a wild (Wolfish) streak in them that you wouldn't find in a retriever (example for comparison.)
Not in my experience nor in anything I've ever read about the breed. They are loving animals and make terrible guard dogs. They rarely bark preferring to howl and don't to that much either. And other than jumping are very very gentle. When I give my dog little treats she very timidly takes them from my fingers making sure she uses as little force as possible. My in-laws golden labrador on the other hand has little concept of its own strength.

A husky loves to run, though, so we always have her leashed wherever we go.

Mumei

Not in my experience nor in anything I've ever read about the breed. They are loving animals and make terrible guard dogs. They rarely bark preferring to howl and don't to that much either. And other than jumping are very very gentle. When I give my dog little treats she very timidly takes them from my fingers making sure she uses as little force as possible. My in-laws golden labrador on the other hand has little concept of its own strength.

I've had the same experience. My neighbor's dogs are huskies, and in the ten-ish years they've had them, I've never heard them bark. They make lots of other dog vocalizations, but barking just isn't something they do that often.

My dad had a pair of Alaskan Malamutes at one point (maybe 25 years ago). The female was purebred and the male was a wolf/dog hybrid. While they were even tempered and friendly around people, they killed everything else they could get their paws on. Rabbits, ducks, geese, cats, other dogs. The dogs had a bad habit of breaking their chains every year or two and going on a killing spree in nearby farms. He eventually had to give them up because they were costing him too much in damages. I am not sure if Huskies have the same poor temperament towards smaller animals.

There's lots of dog breeds that have a strong prey drive; when I worked at a dog daycare we would sometimes have to separate the big and little dogs because some dogs (like greyhounds, for instance) would follow smaller dogs around and chase them and nip at them. But dogs, even those with strong prey drives towards small animals, are in most cases able to differentiate between children / infants and prey animals (and lots of them can differentiate between rabbits and, say, bichon frises, for that matter); I think this says let about the breed's suitability for a family with infants than it says about the dangers of getting a dog whose history you do not know and the stupidity of leaving an infant with any dog unsupervised, no matter how well trusted.

We also own a cat and him and my husky get along fine. She definitely annoys him at times but they play pretty well together. We also very slowly introduced them as we got him first, as a rescue, and her as a puppy. You have to be patient with pets.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

We got our husky from a couple who had a baby. They couldn't trust him around the baby. Or anything small.

He was an awesome dog who got along well with everybody and all other dogs, unless they were small. He just had some compulsion to go after small dogs (and apparently small kids).

FStop7

Banned
Forced Sterilization of the humans.

image.php

I looked at your avatar and read your post out loud like "Rorced rariruration ruv da rumanz, Rorge!"

slit

For those wondering why the pit bull was taken away, it might have to do with the law. A lot of communities in PA only allow you to have two dogs unless you have a boarding license. They had four dogs in that house.

Ryaaan14

Banned
That is absolutely insane. Especially now that the dog has a taste for blood, can't bring an animal back from that.

if the parents want the dog back they should get the dog back.

It's like a person not wanting to press charges. If they dont want the dog to die then by all means let them have the dog back and just make sure to hold the parents responsible if something like it happens again.

Javaman

It's like a person not wanting to press charges. If they dont want the dog to die then by all means let them have the dog back and just make sure to hold the parents responsible if something like it happens again.

You've got to be kidding me. The dog needs to be put to sleep and the parents put on trial for child endangerment. Instead, lets pretend it never happened!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Again? Again?

What the fuck.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

you cant choose to not press charges with MURDER

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yep. I'm for banning big and medium sized dog breeds.

That's because you apparently don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Dog and parents from OP should be put down. Sometimes a dog that young can be rehabilitated, but it sounds like the owners have their heads up their asses and shouldn't be trusted to do that.

SmokeMaxX

1) Dog PROBABLY didn't kill the kid out of malice. Hell it probably didn't even act strangely. You put anyone or anything in unfamiliar surroundings and then do things to it that can be perceived as aggressive and see what happens. Give a person a gun and stick them in the jungle. A lion gets near and they're probably not going to see whether or not the lion just "wants to play." Point is, the dog probably doesn't need to be rehabilitated.

2) Huskies have very high prey drives. They will kill just about anything that gets near them that's smaller than then WITH THE EXCEPTION of things in the family. I suspect this has to do with having the same scent as the rest of the family, but most dogs should know the difference between a baby and another small animal since they were domesticated and have lived with mankind for several thousands of years.

3) Malamutes are very, very gentle around children and in a theoretical scenario, I would feel completely safe leaving children with them. However, realistically, you can't predict what will or can happen and I'd never recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom