• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm going to buy Warcraft III.

Matlock

Banned
Due to a lack of Kohan, I'm going out now and buying the Warcraft III battle chest.

You've won, you monsters.

Mrbob

Matlock said:
Due to a lack of Kohan, I'm going out now and buying the Warcraft III battle chest.

You've won, you monsters.

Yes! You won't regret it!

The Orc quest mode included with The Frozen Throne (Don't forget to download the latest patch to get acts II and III) will make you forget Kohan exists!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fantastic game! The single player campaign in both WC3 and TFT offered a heaping amount of entertainment.

Snag the latest patches when you install to reap the great benefits and upgrades to play-control and UI that Frozen Throne gave to the game.

Enjoy!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
WCIII is a good game, but I still prefer Kohan multiplayer. Unfortunately WCIII is infinitely more popular, and the next Kohan looks to put the game into it's own grave. Ah, what could have been...

In any case, I much prefer Starcraft to WCIII. :D

mint

Banned
Custom maps make W3 so much more fun.

Two things worth mentioning:

Tower Defense games
Defense of the Ancients (DOTA): www.rtsgames.com/dota <---- Most popular Custom game

What is DOTA? 2 sides, 24 selectable heroes, battle each other for the opposite throne. All done very professionally. Each side dispatches creeps where your hero fights, (the last hit giving you cash). You can use the cash to buy items, and there are recipies for them as well.

Heck, there are even clans for DOTA, teamwork is crucial.

cuccoo

Bnet will last you forever, as long as the community is alive. I bought WC3 on launch day and I still play it to this day (technically, its the Frozen Throne now, WC3 classic is quite dead).

Kefkaff

Banned
hahaha I win ^_^

oh, and don't listen to DOTA or TD players. Play real ladder games. AT or Solo or RT.

I'm Pongmo on USeast if you want me to help ya out :p

Mrbob

Matlock said:
I have sinned. Forgive me, Kohanites.

You are forgiven. You needed a good RTS to play anyway.

Dang, I still need to pick this up. My WC3 skillz have surely all but atrophied.

You should pick it up for the Orc Quest alone! It is godly!

explodet

I've got a gift card which was going to go towards MMAC, but since Futureshop in its infinite wisdom decided to charge $10 more than everyone else, I'll put it towards Frozen Throne.
Mrbob said:
You should pick it up for the Orc Quest alone! It is godly!
Three acts? Is it complete, or is there a 4th one coming?

Mrbob

explodet said:
Three acts? Is it complete, or is there a 4th one coming?

Yeah it is complete. ACT I of the bonus orc campaign shipped with the game. ACTS II & III weren't done at the release of TFT so they were released via the 1.13 patch. You can read the changes here:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mwr0769p

Although you might as well just grab the new patch 1.15 because it implements all previous changes. The bonus orc campaign is sweet. It is set up like an adventure game. Remember how Warcraft III was originallly envisioned more of an adventure game before it took on more of a normal RTS route? This is how the bonus orc campaign is setup. You have one main camp and you head off to other areas to fight and progress the story, while leveling up your characters as you progress.

mint said:
Custom maps make W3 so much more fun.

Two things worth mentioning:

Tower Defense games
Defense of the Ancients (DOTA): www.rtsgames.com/dota <---- Most popular Custom game

What is DOTA? 2 sides, 24 selectable heroes, battle each other for the opposite throne. All done very professionally. Each side dispatches creeps where your hero fights, (the last hit giving you cash). You can use the cash to buy items, and there are recipies for them as well.

Heck, there are even clans for DOTA, teamwork is crucial.

Nah I'm so addicted to Footmen wars. Defense of the Ancients really is neat for its teamwork though.

Kefkaff

Banned
Just an FYI, theres a beta server for the 1.16 patch. I think it's good that Blizzard is letting everyone test out the patch before they release it publically. Although no matter what, people are going to yell "IMBA" at something.

mint

Banned
Man I'm gonna start playing it for real...sooner or later.

Footman wars? How is it? I just wish guinsoo would update 5.54 soon..not being able to play maiden, conjour, and pudge is sad.

mint said:
Man I'm gonna start playing it for real...sooner or later.

Footman wars? How is it? I just wish guinsoo would update 5.54 soon..not being able to play maiden, conjour, and pudge is sad.

There are tons of footmen wars being hosted. Generally they involve 4 teams of three. Each person has footmen (or other units) spawning continuously and usually a hero unit. Then the teams battle each other out until the bases are destroyed. Unlike DOTA, there are less time spent trying to destroy towers (unless ur opponents decided to be annoying and turtle in) or buildings.

I don't like the cheaper ones where heros level up insanely fast. Footmen Frenzy or Brazil are pretty safe bets. However, if you play Frenzy, make sure to avoid anything lower than 2.1 cause there are major imbalances.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
www.tidesofblood.com

Is a really fun and different map. Hero/team based. If you play it you will definately take a lot of the things you learn about managing your hero over into regular WCIII games.

mint said:
Defense of the Ancients (DOTA): www.rtsgames.com/dota <---- Most popular

Hey ToB is fairly popular as well. I think it would be difficult to determine definitively what is the most popular.

Matlock

Banned
Well, played the the Orcish prologue chapter to get acquainted, and the first couple of missions of the Human campaign.

...so far, it feels vaguely like Starcraft, but notably different. In fact, it feels more like an expansion of the Diablo 2 gameplay model than anything. Thankfully, it works here.

Also: the art direction is amazing for this game, although the characters are really low-poly. Somehow, the colors and textures make up for the low-tech models and make everything in the game look pretty good.

Jeez, Matlock, you must be a glutton for punishment. There's plenty of bad RTSs out there, why'd you buy Warcraft III, easily the worst of them?

That said, it doesn't matter. You weren't particularly good at kohan anyway :p

Er, I dunno, the busted gameplay usually does it for me. Although, saying it's the worst was probably a little harsh. There's still TA: Kingdoms.

Matlock

Banned
I haven't taken it online (nor am I really planning on it), but the campaign is mighty fine. It's more a strategic squad-based game than a true RTS in the campaigns.

Top Bottom