• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inverse: 'Pokemon GO' Is Creating Real-Life Friendships Among Strangers

This is not my own experience but it's really nice heart warming testemony.

1n98cHB.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209612356&highlight=#post209612356

That is an awesome story. Also not the first one I've heard but each one is wonderful to hear.

Ahem... seems I should dust my room, it's gotten into my eyes....

massoluk

Banned
I just sat down and talked with total strangers today about the game at one of the lure point. Just good feelings all around

This game is absurdly addicting. I've done nothing but play this game for the last couple of days, I've even wandered around with friends together for 2-3 hours the last two days in our neighborhood just playing it.

Today I put two lure modules up (because they're literally right next to each other), next thing you know 15 people+ appeared out of no where, parked in calls and all. It's amazing how many people are playing this game.

Three things I really want right now:
- Ability to leave your current team (Team Instinct, Mystic, Valor) even if it's just a 1-time thing. I'm on Team Mystic with a couple of my friends while the others are on Instinct. It sucks cause we wish we knew it was a one time thing so we could all be on the same team and take down gyms together.
- Friends list
- Trading

adamy

Banned
i've had easily the best gaming experiences of my entire life walking the streets of LA playing pokemon go at 12am-4am

IMHO, the game truly shines while taking strolls at those hours...the people you meet...the stories you can tell...good times unlike anything i've ever seen a videogame accomplish

Copper

I'm a part of a facebook group in our town with over 100 people added. We are discussing meeting spots and even setting up zones for teams and such.

Haven't tried the game myself yet, but I heard about it on the radio yesterday, with the guy urging people to not call the cops too fast because people are out walking around with their phones! What a hit.

Kimawolf

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/10/five-things-we-learned-pokmon-go/86928122/
Also, if your Poke Stop happens to be at a police station, you might want to use a little caution. "We have had some people playing the game behind the PD, in the dark, popping out of bushes, etc.," reads a Facebook post from the police department in Duvall, Wash. "This is high on our list of things that are not cool right now."

Yeah sounds like a BAD idea at the moment, or ever really. just thought i'd post it as I find it hilarious and crazy people would do that.

Fox Mulder

This is all really neat even if it fizzles out for a majority of people at some point. You can totally notice a difference from this just at places like dog parks. There's an older diner near me that's busier now because it is a stop.

Kyzon

I spent the night at a park with my friend. We met a bunch of new people. I'm actually just getting home (we walked like a mile there)at 6am. This game is amazing!

Falchion

I can confirm, I spent 3 hours at the beach last night hanging out with several dozen people between 3 lures and the random Vaporeon that was on the boardwalk.

I met a girl on the bus and we had a nice conversation when we both realized we were playing Pokemon Go. A few other people on the bus were, too.

It's neat. I hope they add a little scanner that shows who around you is playing it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
All this makes me think of how it goes along with what the Pokemon creator wanted to encourage by putting the games on handhelds and encouraging kids to go out into the real world, meet people, and engage in conversation to learn about others.

I realize Nintendo doesn't want to harm their traditional product sales with internal competition, but this sort of critical mass is seriously what they need.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Pouring one out to the only BlackBerry user out there.

Yes, I'm talking about me. First What's App stops being supported, now this comes out and I feel left out :(.

joe2187

Banned
Copy paste my story from the GO thread.

So...story time.

I dont play pokemon, the only pokemon game I played was Sapphire and while I did enjoy it very much when i was younger. I never like the 3DS pokemon games when I tried them.

I decided to try the app on a whim, and had some enjoyment out of it.

Today I found out that my job is listed as a pokestop, in a long line of pokestops going up and down the block. thats cool I could get some free items whenever I have free time. However the nature of my job is very busy, so I dont have much free time. I managed to swipe some free items only twice within 9 hours.

I work as a chef in an traditional fine dining Italian restaurant, our specialty is my handmade Neapolitan style Pizzas. Sunday lunches are pretty slow so when I had some free time I decided to try an Incense while sitting out front and met a couple people who came by to use the pokestop while I was on my break. I was amazed at how many people walked by using the app, stop in front of the restaurant and then walk away.

After catching about 10 pokemon, I decided to try an expirement, since I see no lures at any of the pokestops on my block and set up a lure for my pokestop, and went back to work.

10 minutes later, Im getting ticket after ticket order after order for pizza and appetizers, the bar is suddenly full and Im seeing row upon row of cell phones with pokemon go.

I dont even have time to take a picture since the orders keep coming in and by the time the lure is done, I've sold out of all my pizza dough for the day and foccacia bread(which is 23 full sized pizzas) and the bar is still filled with people mingling and buying drinks. I spent the rest of the night making extra dough, bread and pasta just to make up for selling out.

Thanks Pokemon Go! I gotta do it again next time it's slow.

Sorry but for all the people that say you have your head buried in your phone its just a great way of having fun! again in video games ! No blowing people to bits, no swearing etc, and just a really cool feel good factor.

In some cases people helping each other dam! Get the politicians etc playing this!

BBTC

Fisty

Cant say ive noticed this personally, did get accosted for stepping outside for a smoke while browsing gaf though. Apparently i was near a gym and people thought i was trying to take it from them or something.

PreFire

The amount of people I've seen running around with their phones chasing Pokemon is staggering. I've played a few times, but Pokemon barely pop up for me and when I catch one, the app just freezes lol

Congrats on the great success though. Can't wait to see what Nintendo does next in the mobile world

Chaos17

So...story time.

I dont play pokemon, the only pokemon game I played was Sapphire and while I did enjoy it very much when i was younger. I never like the 3DS pokemon games when I tried them.

Today I found out that my job is listed as a pokestop, in a long line of pokestops going up and down the block. thats cool I could get some free items whenever I have free time. However the nature of my job is very busy, so I dont have much free time. I managed to swipe some free items only twice within 9 hours.

I work as a chef in an traditional fine dining Italian restaurant, our specialty is my handmade Neapolitan style Pizzas. Sunday lunches are pretty slow so when I had some free time I decided to try an Incense while sitting out front and met a couple people who came by to use the pokestop while I was on my break. I was amazed at how many people walked by using the app, stop in front of the restaurant and then walk away.

After catching about 10 pokemon, I decided to try an expirement, since I see no lures at any of the pokestops on my block and set up a lure for my pokestop, and went back to work.

10 minutes later, Im getting ticket after ticket order after order for pizza and appetizers, the bar is suddenly full and Im seeing row upon row of cell phones with pokemon go.

I dont even have time to take a picture since the orders keep coming in and by the time the lure is done, I've sold out of all my pizza dough for the day and foccacia bread(which is 23 full sized pizzas) and the bar is still filled with people mingling and buying drinks. I spent the rest of the night making extra dough, bread and pasta just to make up for selling out.

Haha, that's genius XD
Try to put an advertisement like this *_*

Souzetsu

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people playing all around town. You get into conversations with people because you're all playing the same game, which I didn't expect to see around here right away. It's a cool thing to see.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Went to the Hudson Valley Balloon Festival over the weekend and sure enough, there were plenty of people playing... unfortunately the area we were in was deserted. Ended up chatting with a few strangers about the game though - the funniest was the middle aged man playing it and saying that he's helping his daughter out... then I'm like "yeahhh, sureeeee!" and his wife and kids laughed!

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Went to the Fairways Market yesterday with my Pokemon Go app on, 2 kids comes up to me and said there is a Krabby in the back aisle. Yet, caught one......

Hastati

I'm pretty antisocial and rarely go outside, but this game is appealing to me nonetheless. Gonna download it tonight.

Be interesting to see how it evolves and what effects if any it has on social networking and relationships and the way they are impacted by future AR media.

Pau

Cant say ive noticed this personally, did get accosted for stepping outside for a smoke while browsing gaf though. Apparently i was near a gym and people thought i was trying to take it from them or something.
That sucks. People around gyms tend to either not really engage around here or if they do and even if they're on different teams, everyone is very friendly.

Shiggie

This happened to me around midnight going around one am. I live in a not-as-yet-gentrified part of Brooklyn, East Flatbush. I couldn't sleep and I saw a lure active in the park close to me. I took my chances and decided to head out anyway. Lincoln Terrace is a decent sized park, The Boys (cops) generally patrol the park at night and I was more paranoid about running into some scared cop than anything. I wandered around there hunting an Ivysaur which I never caught. When Im about to leave a Ghastly (didn't catch) showed up and I noticed 5 guys all around my age with their phones out. One of the guys noticed me and said "Pokemon?" and It was smiles from then on. I didn't get their names or anything but we hunted for a while and shared tips about the game. Im honestly impressed that a mobile pokemon game has me socializing with a bunch of 20 somethings, whom I otherwise would not have met and talked to.

Koppai

So...story time.

I hope you told your boss they have you to thank for all the business :p

Top Bottom