• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Playstation Plus Premium a Playstation Now with cheese?

KiteGr

I'm not much of a Subscriber. I only have a plus subscription to be able to play on-line, as I get most of my games physical, even when they are available on the service.
However some of my friends are, and appear very exided for the new tiers of Plus subscription.

And then I came across the video bellow.

To looselly sumurise.
  • PSPlus premium is just a re-brand of the failing PSNow.
  • The PS4 games offered on Extra are games every respected PS4 owner would already own and/or can be found cheaply.
  • The Legacy PS1 and PSP tittle catalogue is laughably small.
  • The few PS2 games offered are just the old PS4 remasters they've released in the past, so we are unlikelly to see any new (old) tittles beyond those.
  • Cloud Gaming still sucks, and they don't have any new infastructure to make us believe they'll do any better this time.
  • The trials offered on new games are just them charging for Game Demos.
As I said, I'm not much of a subscriber, and once I took a look on the new subscription models and realized they aren't for me, I pushed them aside and forgot all about them (Really! I had to google the extras they offer.)
For me, Sony has failed to honor their legacy tittles. Since their best games where mostly 3rd party, they are unable to build an profitable invaroment that offers adequate support and properly cover the more obscure gems one would want to play. The emulator and moding community are doing a much beter job at that, by upscaling the classics, and often decensoring them and translated those who where Japan-locked.

What are you thoughts on that?
Are the arguments on the video valid?

1. People interested in indies / AA will find either PS+ or Gamepass worth it
  2. People who don't buy first party games at launch and want to wait a year will get a good value
  3. Limited back catalog of old games is not really at the point that it's worth it, but will appeal to some.
That's my analysis of the potential customer. In your post you said that "any respectable PS fan already owns these," which means that you're going to fall into point #1 or not at all. If you don't like indies and AA, and you buy everything first party you can probably skip it.

If you like indies and AA, I'm expecting it will be pretty solid. Gamepass is amazing in this regard.

As for point #2, I think the potential for people outside the US to give up on buying first party titles and just subbing is huge honestly, since game prices are extremely high in many countries. The $70 price is too much for me in the US, and I know it's a lot higher in other places. So that could be an attractive option for people that previously bought everything.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have no idea what you mean but the service now has compelling games, whereas Now didn’t (or they were only included for a couple of months).

£33.99 more than standard Plus and I get access to games like Valhalla, Returnal and DeS? Or if I don’t want standard Plus I can just sub for £10 or so for a month to play those games? Great deal.

If they add Ratchet and Sackboy in the next 12 months it’s a great service hands down. That’s the key for me though, what’s coming next and seeing if Sony remove their first party.

I have no idea what you mean but the service now has compelling games, whereas Now didn’t (or they were only included for a couple of months).

£33.99 more than standard Plus and I get access to games like Valhalla, Returnal and DeS? Or if I don’t want standard Plus I can just sub for £10 or so for a month to play those games? Great deal.

If they add Ratchet and Sackboy in the next 12 months it’s a great service hands down. That’s the key for me though, what’s coming next and seeing if Sony remove their first party.
Yep.

My personal plan, I think I'm dropping PS+ essential this year. My new plan is 1-2 months of Extra a year to play first party stuff. $15/month. If I can play Ratchet and Sackboy for $30 that's a win for the year right there. Year after that I can do that for GT and Ragnarok and whatever else they put on there.

I already have GP so I don't need 2 subs all year. For people without any sub, it's a good option at 120/yr. Will just depend on the rate of monthly adds we see. The initial dump was always going to be more impressive. We don't know how many to expect going forward, or if they cycle out first party, as you said.

When PS6 comes out, I can buy whatever games I want to keep from their first party for $10-15 each. That would probably save me 120/year each year the PS5 is out. 2 first party games is 140. Even with just Demon's Souls and Returnal you've basically gotten close to enough in savings to cover the year in full (but I already bought those).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
More clickbait garbage.

The full games list isn't even out yet, they gave us a SAMPLE LIST of a handful of games and people are pretending it's the whole thing for reactions.
"I've played those games already" is never a good argument. Not everyone has.
Same for Cloud gaming. We might not like it, but a lot of people do.
Also two hours of do-whatever-you-like is not a game demo, it's a real try before you buy. You aren't getting a vertical slice the developers intentionally made to hook you, you're just getting the damn game.

Always pretty suspect when someone posts a channel with 3500 subscribers, where are you even finding this stuff?

Just pick the tier that has enough value for you or skip it all together.

It already appeals more to me than Gamepass ever did. Returnal, Demon's Souls, Ghost Of Tsushima, Miles Morales, etc, very decent lineup. Sure, if you already have all the games it's not for you obviously, but if you are just some guy trying to play good games under a subscription it's pretty good.

How were they going to include good games that everyone wants to play but no one bought? Makes no sense.

Indie games have close to zero value to me, I never cared about playing indies or the very few MS games day one (or at all in most cases).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The full games list isn't even out yet, they gave us a SAMPLE LIST of a handful of games and people are pretending it's the whole thing for reactions.
The full list came out when the service launched in HK and Sony posted the list on the official PS Blog. The US release is just going to be the HK list + the PS Now streaming catalog (which they don’t have in HK).

Its exactly what people said they should do. Roll ps now into ps plus. It's also an upgrade on ps now. There like 5 games on the library I'm already interested in and this is just the start. What will the service be like in a few years? Look how far gamepass has come since launch.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

You already have plus and can keep it that way, no changes. The list of what's going to be available is out there so just check it out.

Try it out for one month if you like and decide for yourself.

It's your money so you can choose whatever you want to do with it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The full list came out when the service launched in HK and Sony posted the list on the official PS Blog. The US release is just going to be the HK list + the PS Now streaming catalog (which they don’t have in HK).

The JP blog specifically says "hundreds" of titles. The US blog says "700+" and more importantly that Premium adds up to 340 compared to JP's 240. JP got what, 21 classics?

If it really is 319 streaming PS3 games in the west then people will absolutely have the right to be pissed, but the service isn't even out yet and we've prematurely decided what it'll have based on a different continent.

Last edited:
I don’t really care about the included games because, like GamePass, pretty much anything there I'd want to play, I already own.

I'm most interested in the PS1, PS2, and PSP games with trophy support, save states, rewind, etc. Especially since, unlike Switch online, you can buy those games individually and I likely already own several.

My complaint is it seems most of the games I want won't be there, at least at launch. I want the JRPGs like Xenogears, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar, etc.

yurinka

I'm not much of a Subscriber. I only have a plus subscription to be able to play on-line, as I get most of my games physical, even when they are available on the service.
However some of my friends are, and appear very exided for the new tiers of Plus subscription.

And then I came across the video bellow.

To looselly sumurise.

As I said, I'm not much of a subscriber, and once I took a look on the new subscription models and realized they aren't for me, I pushed them aside and forgot all about them (Really! I had to google the extras they offer.)
For me, Sony has failed to honor their legacy tittles. Since their best games where mostly 3rd party, they are unable to build an profitable invaroment that offers adequate support and properly cover the more obscure gems one would want to play. The emulator and moding community are doing a much beter job at that, by upscaling the classics, and often decensoring them and translated those who where Japan-locked.

What are you thoughts on that?
Are the arguments on the video valid?

The Asian countries where they released it until now are countries where traditionally many games aren't releases. They didn't have access to PS Now, they will have the Extra and Deluxe tiers which is way more than before.

That first release featured almost 270 games. But were some of the countries that didn't feature the PS3 streamed games, that pretty likely will be part of the almost 500 games missing for the "over 700 games" they plan to have at full launch when released every where.

Premium will have PSNow with an updated lineup featuring most PS4 1st party games and many top AAA games and also PS1 and PSP games. On top of that, it will also include PS Plus and the demos of new AAA games. Cloud gaming will be available in more countries than before and those countries without cloud gaming will have a cheaper version of Premium without cloud gaming: the Deluxe tier.

For those not interested in cloud gaming, demos or retro games people now will have the cheaper Extra tier.

It's way better now.

Aion002

That's fine for me..

That 70S Show Eating GIF by Laff

JaksGhost

People need to learn how to form their own personal opinions and not subscribe to those of a talking head on YouTube. In this case just a voice speaking over flashing images.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The first bullet point pretty much sums it up.

Not really, that's disregarding the beefed up downloadable-only list which is available as part of the mid-tier offering for people less interested in legacy content/streaming.

The really stupid part is trying to judge a live service based on a pre-release listing of content. What matters is consistency of support, because no matter how good a thing is at its outset, if its not kept fresh... what use is it really?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are people this cognitively stunted that they're just starting to figure this shit out?

It's a smart consolidated rebrand that makes the focus easier for them to add more benefits and perks while marketing under one already popular brand structure.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Yes and PS Now was already pretty good as it was. They improved the catalogue and released it worldwide for growth, so there's no downside to it being a beefed up PS Now. And this notion that every PS4 owner owns all those games is pretty stupid, as there are more than 100 million PS4s around and not a single one of those games sold more than 30 million.

skit_data

PS+ Premium is much better than PS+ and PS Now combined, because it adds most of its value in the PS+ Extra tier and none of that was there before even if you subscribed to both services.

Jormatar

I think the new service is already looking very solid. I can only imagine it will get even better in the future.

KiteGr

PS+ Premium is much better than PS+ and PS Now combined, because it adds most of its value in the PS+ Extra tier and none of that was there before even if you subscribed to both services.
That also means that you can no longer separate them.
You can no longer have a psnow without a psplus.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That also means that you can no longer separate them.
You can no longer have a psnow without a psplus.
Was that a common configuration for people before though? PS+ feels like it's pretty much required, especially if you're only streaming stuff from PlayStation Now and don't have access to basic features like cloud saves...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Why be upset about something you don't want? I don't spend every day lamenting the fact that hot pockets come in ham and cheese and not rusty nails.

Crayon

The premium I'm not so sure about. The extra is $40 over the normal $60 online fee. That's very reasonable. I tried psnow and I thought okay, I'd pay about $30 a year for this shit I don't use. Kind of like NSO. I have never played anything online on the switch besides 1 hour of mario maker so I give them that $20 for that admittedly nice snes selection.

So a rearranged psnow with more focus on newer games for $40 is sounds about fair. Still don't know till I try. I slipped in just in time on that upgrade thing so I have a year and a half to try out premium. So Ill get to check it out for awhile.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  1. People interested in indies / AA will find either PS+ or Gamepass worth it
  2. People who don't buy first party games at launch and want to wait a year will get a good value
  3. Limited back catalog of old games is not really at the point that it's worth it, but will appeal to some.
That's my analysis of the potential customer. In your post you said that "any respectable PS fan already owns these," which means that you're going to fall into point #1 or not at all. If you don't like indies and AA, and you buy everything first party you can probably skip it.

If you like indies and AA, I'm expecting it will be pretty solid. Gamepass is amazing in this regard.

As for point #2, I think the potential for people outside the US to give up on buying first party titles and just subbing is huge honestly, since game prices are extremely high in many countries. The $70 price is too much for me in the US, and I know it's a lot higher in other places. So that could be an attractive option for people that previously bought everything.
Agreed.

Sony's sub plan is like NF. You arent getting day one hollywood movies. But they will come later. In the meantime, it gets tons of older content. NF seems to be doing fine to me.

As for big new movies, some NF users wait for the service. Some go the theatre to watch the latest blockbuster even though they know it'll probably come to the sub service in a year.

We knew this already. Casual PS owners didn't.

• The PS4 games offered on Extra are games every respected PS4 owner would already own and/or can be found cheaply.
This is subjective and there will be people who don't own that huge of a library.

We knew this, from what PS3 offered. Casual PS owners didn't.

• The few PS2 games offered are just the old PS4 remasters they've released in the past, so we are unlikelly to see any new (old) tittles beyond those.
We knew this. Casual PS owners didn't.

• Cloud Gaming still sucks, and they don't have any new infastructure to make us believe they'll do any better this time.
We knew this from what PsNow offered. Why would they build an entirely new streaming infrastructure when they've been working on that one for so long?

Once again, game demos are seen as a bonus, not the primary reason to sub. The sub is for the library and service. Think of it like an old game magazine or even old Xbox Live. The service was the primary purchase, to such a point that some batches of the magazines didn't even come with the demo disc to save money. They would even say 'bonus demo disc inside' to emphasize this.

My thoughts on the video are that it's undercooked and under-researched in exchange for quick clicks.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just like Gamepass Ultimate it’s great because you don’t feel like you’re stupidly paying for online access. And having game demos is great.

yurinka

Random bullshit video:
To looselly sumurise.
PS Now wasn't falling, it has been growing for years. Premium is supposed to improve the PS4 catalog, add PS5, PS1 and PSP games, betas, PS Plus, now will be available on more countries and will have the cheaper Deluxe alternative for countries without cloud gaming.

And for those not interested in cloud gaming, retro games or beta there is the cheaper Extra tier.

Retarded claim, Extra will have 400 games at launch (+more to come) and on average players buy betwen a game or two per year.

Many games weren't released in the countries where PS Plus debuted and they will add more games as they keep releasing it in more countries, the Retro Catalog of premium is supposed to be up to 340 games at launch (+ more to come) where cloud gaming is available. Let's wait and see how many of them are available at full worldwide launch.

We don't know the full list of PS2 game.

Fake news. Seems he never used PS Now, has a shitty internet connection or lives in Congo and plays via a McDonalds wifi, and pretty far of their servers.

No, they are full game trials whose trophies and game progress carries to the full game if you buy them. They are a benefit more of a subscription with over 700 games at launch, monthly games, the PS Plus collection, discounts and more.

Last edited:

Cyborg

I will upgrade to Extra, I don't care for such old games (that apparently run and look worse) as I own most of them and can play them on the original console(s).

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm always not in favor of these type of services. I didn't like gamepass and I don't like this either.

While I do have gamepass, I've only subscribed for a few months because my sister wanted to play SoD2. With plus, I'll only really subscribe for MP.

Top Bottom