• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony going for a complete Global Launch of PS4 by December 6th?

Lock if its been mentioned before. I wanted to find out from Gaf (those that arent in PS4 launch countries) if they received clarification on when PS4 launchs in their country.
Last night after Gamescom, I tweeted Shu Yoshida asking him about the PS4 and South Africa. He didnt reply and I assumed (seeing as we arent listed as a launch country) we were destined to get it late December or even next year.
I called local stores and E-Retailers and no one had a clue as to when we would get an initial shipment over here. Felt a bit cheated to be honest, we are a pal region and get everything else in the EU launch day timeframe. So, I spoke to Ster Kinekor this morning (the official distributers of Playstation products here), they told me later today, their CEO will have an announcement to make. And here it is :

The PlayStation 4 console will be arriving in South
Africa in December, and hopefully in time for a 6
December launch. The expected price is being
pegged at R6,299.
Mario Dos Santos , Chief Executive Officer of Ster
Kinekor Entertainment , said in a press statement
that he is confident the PS4 will arrive in South
Africa before Christmas.
“South Africa will be releasing the PS4 prior to
Christmas, we are planned to go on the 6th of
December 2013 due to the logistics of getting the
stock to our shores,” said Dos Santos.
“The price point, although not officially set due to
the uncertainty around the Rand exchange rate, is
currently planned at an RRP of R6,299 including
VAT and it will not be beyond this for launch.
Retail will be communicated to plan at these
levels,” said Dos Santos.
During their Gamescom 2013 presentation, Group
CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment , Andrew
House announced the launch date for the
PlayStation 4.
PS4 will be hitting US shelves on 15 November
2013. In Europe, the PS4 will be available from 29
November.
The PS4 is pegged at US$399 in the United
States. This is US$100 less than the Xbox One
launch price of US$499. EU price points are
typically set by retailers.
House said that the PS4 will be launching in 32
countries around the world in November.

So, I just wanted to ask, can we expect a global launch by this date? For those wondering, thats $630 US dollars it costs..

Wow did you time your question right before the announcement by the CEO then?

Or did your questions force their hand?

Regardless this is good news for PS4 sales this Christmas

If they can really deliver this

Nice research pal(region).

Ive been waiting so long to pre-order the console, it bothered me that Sony didnt even mention us over here, despite us being a PS territory. It actually kept me up after Gamecom wondering if we would wait till 2014! Well, the thing is, why arent Sony making a big deal about this??? I mean, this affects all non-EU-Pal regions, right? (Middle East etc)

Nice research pal(region).

Wow did you time your question right before the announcement by the CEO then?

Or did your questions force their hand?

Regardless this is good news for PS4 sales this Christmas

If they can really deliver this

I started bugging them at 7:45AM lol.
By 9AM, I got the number of Ster-Kinekor HQ to ask them. At that point they "assumed" I was a manager of a store... The secretary of the CEO told me he is issuing a statement within the hour. Just after that, she asks "And sir, what store are you the manager of?" .... I went.... errm. Im just a fan that wanted to know LOL :)

My questions didnt force their hand, but I was hoping, if they didnt plan on a 2013 release, I was going to rally my mates to send email and bother them till they went public. As for the questions, its what floated around in my mind since 8:30pm last night, after the conference.
So, if we're getting it by then, I hope every territory does as well. I know there were guys on our Pal boat that felt the same last night. Hoping the regional managers of their zones shared info with them as well.

I bet Japan will be next year. Launch titles as of now are not appealing to Japanese market at all. I don't expect Japanese PS4 launch titles announced at TGS and then schedule to sell by the end of the year. Time is too short. They need more time to market the games, put on Famitsu, TV commercial, billboard etc.

Pennywise

I bet Japan will be next year. Launch titles as of now are not appealing to Japanese market at all. I don't expect Japanese PS4 launch titles announced at TGS and then schedule to sell by the end of the year. Time is too short. They need more time to market the games, put on Famitsu, TV commercial, billboard etc.

The Wii U is struggling and the One is not gonna launch there until next year, they could definitly launch there this year with some titles that are not announced yet.
The Event on September 9th could give Japan a short glimpse, and TGS could mean even more titles.

Alot of speculation so far, but I don't think they're not gonna launch in Japan this year.

('-') .o0 (oo > 13)

Thats what Im thinking..

complete global saturation!
hope TGS talks about asia

Im sure they will speak PS4 launch dates for Asia at TGS. If for any reason... Xbone will be there and it will be arkward if MS is over there flaunting next gen on their own turf and Sony doesnt issue a release date.

The Wii U is struggling and the One is not gonna launch there until next year, they could definitly launch there this year with some titles that are not announced yet.
The Event on September 9th could give Japan a short glimpse, and TGS could mean even more titles.

Alot of speculation so far, but I don't think they're not gonna launch in Japan this year.

It would blow my mind if Japan launched with a game like the new Yakuza game. Have they announced a platform for it yet? :p. Im sure Sony has some Japanese flavoured games being made for a Japanese launch.

Elios83

They don't need a full roster of japanese titles, just add a Hot Shot Golf and a Musou remastered title to the western lineup in time for mid December and they're set until February next year.
The key issue behind the japanese launch is the hardware supply.

Top Bottom