• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is there any reason not to import minna no golf 4?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the brilliant but altogether too easy mario golf advance has piqued my appetite for golf, and at this point i could buy minna no golf 4 just as cheaply as the eventual domestic release. and i probably know enough japanese to muddle through the menus. i don't know if the japanese characters will be any better than the american ones, but they certainly can't be much worse. are there any unexpected language barriers? or anything in the domestic release that i don't wanna miss out on? there's online, i suppose, but i don't really intend to use that.

Brofist

If you don't care about online I would get it. I bought a copy the other day in Den Den used for little over 2000 yen.

john tv

Sounds like the US ver is gonna be much improved. I already got the J version upon release but I kinda wish I waited now...

Teddman

What, you can't wait a month and a half? Hot Shots 4 is supposed to have more courses and extras over the Japanese version, miniature golf, and of course the almighty online play (a pretty big reason right there).

I'll see you at Mt. Sakura!

drohne

hm, so they're adding a bunch of stuff for the us version? i guess i'll wait then. maybe i'll pick up toadstool tour to tide me over. although i hate to support nintendo's extortionate two-tier "budget" pricing. thanks.

drohne said:
hm, so they're adding a bunch of stuff for the us version?

The main thing they've added is online play. The Japanese HSG4 was offline but since we aren't getting HSG Online here they're adding online play to HSG4. Ofcourse we also get those wacky designs that SCEA comes up with. But the good still outweighs the bad.

drohne

i'm probably not going to play it online...i'd need to buy a network adapter and wireless access point, and i don't think there's enough content to justify that. teddman says they're adding courses and extras to the us version - anyone know about this in more detail? and does the japanese version have mini golf?

It looks like they've at least added the familiar US characters from the old games, but whether it's in addition to the Japanese ones (they were previously reported as being in the US version) or as a replacement for them remains to be seen.. Also, supposedly Jak & Daxter are unlockable in the US version, probably among other characters, but some of the Japanese unlockables (i.e. Saru, the monkey from Ape Escape, as a caddie) might be gone.

The Japanese version definitely has mini-golf, and it rocks. That's in addition to something like 11 or 12 normal courses, which include every course from MnG3 and MnG Online. I don't know if I buy this "more courses" stuff, since the import was already completely packed with them.

Also, if you think Mario Golf is too easy, MnG4 will satisfy you. I played it for near 100 hours last summer and didn't even unlock everything. You should definitely pick up Toadstool Tour as well, as it's completely awesome for quite a few reasons of its own, and it's quite hard to unlock everything to boot.

drohne

bobby - do you know if the japanese version has ~12 full-length courses? cos that's the number previews list for the us version. if there are no new courses, i'll probably just import.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone know any more details about the online play? I think IGN's most recent report states that players can go head to head and they will be an option to play in a 32 player real time tournament. When it says head to head, do they mean it's only going to support 2 players? I hope not

drohne said:
bobby - do you know if the japanese version has ~12 full-length courses? cos that's the number previews list for the us version. if there are no new courses, i'll probably just import.

Yup, that sounds exactly right. 5 from MNG3, one from Online, and then 5 or 6 new ones - I can't remember the exact number because I never managed to get them all. It's an unlocking marathon, I tell ya!

Top Bottom