• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 18 coming in September

Doomtrain

This show makes me feel insane. I absolutely love seasons 1-4 and think they have some incredible moments, but everything after that has felt like a steady decline. The creators have felt checked out for over a decade, and the last season barely felt like they were even attempting to tell jokes. But every time I read anything about the show, people are praising it as if it’s better than ever.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
This show makes me feel insane. I absolutely love seasons 1-4 and think they have some incredible moments, but everything after that has felt like a steady decline. The creators have felt checked out for over a decade, and the last season barely felt like they were even attempting to tell jokes. But every time I read anything about the show, people are praising it as if it’s better than ever.
Opposite for me. The show really kicked off from season 5 onwards with classics like the D.E.N.N.I.S System.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Yesssss.

Season 4 ep 13, favourite ever :messenger_smiling:

I have this shirt.
images

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I think Always Sunny has maintained a pretty consistent bar of quality over the years apart from Mac. One of my favorite moments is from S8:

And the finale of last season was one of the best episodes of the entire series. It's hard to imagine anyone feeling sympathy for Dennis, and yet

So yeah, more Sunny is always good news.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The family has been watching Sunny since season 2. One of our favorite shows to watch over and over. We were all in agreement that last season was hard to watch. Not dog shit, but still far from their glory days. Hopefully, this season will be a big turn around. 🤞
Yeah, something was off, may have been the lighting/cameras they used because they all seemed to look very old/stiff.

Glenn just filmed the movie Blackberry last year and even with a bald head he still appeared somewhat youthful.

images

Valonquar

The ending to the car episode where he pulls the heart out of the guy's chest is the most I've laughed in a long time. That whole episode was perfect.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've lost track, but I know the last season didn't exactly replace my top 10 episodes. I'm not going to stop watching, but they I'm more watching because of what they used to be than what they are.

I know the cast have argued about the lighting and everything else, and I wish they didn't let everything get so bright and clean. That's part of why the earlier seasons on shitty SD 4:3 aren't going to be beaten. Plus you've got the actors themselves, and besides DeVito who doesn't give a shit (praise him for that) you're now looking at Hollywood vanity in HD and it does detract from the look and feel.

I guess it's also hard to come up with new when you've done so much over the years.

Was watching their Sunny Podcast this last year and it seems like Rob & Charlie are usually in good spirits having fun talking, but Glen seems to be irritated and not enjoying life as much. Wondering if he is starting to lose his love for doing the show. 🤔.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I also think the last few seasons aren't up to their usual standards.
But that's what happens when you set the bar so high with some of the funniest TV comedy I've ever seen.
I'll still take a 60% funny Sunny episode over most of the crap out there.

Also Kaitlin Olson is the funniest chick since Julia Louis-Dreyfus 😁

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love this show, one of my favorites.

That christmas episode when Charlie realizes his mom is a whore, and then goes to a supermarket and, well...

Imo the first seasons are the best, but stuff like this scene usually make me think otherwise. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom