• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official G4 Network is dead

KaiserBecks

Why are people arguing about this? G4 was a relic from another time, reviving it made no sense whatsoever from a business perspective. Who the hell watches gaming related TV in this day and age?

Why are people arguing about this? G4 was a relic from another time, reviving it made no sense whatsoever from a business perspective. Who the hell watches gaming related TV in this day and age?
It actually would do well with the right talent. The initial numbers of viewers when the rebooted G4 launched was promising until the viewers realized it was nothing like the old shows at all. Besides the name and (insane) Sessler, it was G4 in name only.

You could be right and that it might be a relic of a better time, but throw in some real gamers, Sydney Sweeney tier hotness, stupid skits/shenanigens, etc and I bet there are many that would tune in. It would be an insta-subscribe for me.

RavageX

I had/have a hard time watching other people play games or talk about games that I can play myself.

I used to be interested in reviews...primarily in game magazines.

The world of gaming is too different now. You have people who SUCK AT GAMES trying to review them, in hopes they can talk about shit that interests them (hint, it aint games) and people will pay attention.

People watch people play games in hope they will flash a bit o' ass on whatever platform they are using.

Is a game good? I dunno but it requires you to have the latest xyz to run it so it must be great! Heres a bunch of pictures taken of the lighting effects, look how that rock beams in the sunlight!

Is it good? You just asked me that. I told you I dunno but it runs at 60 fps!

Check out this trailer! Gameplay? No its cinematic. When does it come out? Oh hell, does that REALLY matter? 20XX hows that? Just know whatever shit you have now wont be NEARLY powerful enough to run it!

And yet you are supposed to be HYPED. Imagine that job, promoting shit games you know are shit before they even come out....

Geez maybe I am having my own meltdown.

Basically, I dont think a gaming related tv show/network would be worth a damn these days.

Last edited:
Exactly. Frosk played a large role in the precipitous drop in viewership, helped further divide the limited community, pushed reddit and discord groups to instantly ban *anyone* critical of what Frosk stated (thus further stoking the flames), and lost them a ton of money.
So you didn’t read the article then?
Yes, they were poor with money. Yes, they had issues with upper management. Both those are true.
…Or did you read it and still would rather believe what you want to?
But ideologies like March will fight tooth and nail to dismiss the actions of the mentally deranged Frosk because she pushed the same regressive, hate-filled ideology that they believe in.
At least be brave and tag me man.

Also, please don’t spread misinformation about me. Again, I’m not being disrespectful to you at all, if anything I’ve been the opposite. I even provided evidence for my claim, as there is nothing to ‘fight’ for here. You’re responding with condescending comments and brash assumptions about my character and ideologies.

If you want to know my character and my morals, we can have a chat I can simply tell you. I’ve stated how I feel about many things before on this forum very easily, plenty of times.

To claim that I am suddenly pro-Frosk and pro-her ideals is disingenuous and it also means that you’ve already put me into a corner of ‘against’ just because I don’t buy into every twitter story that’s pushed out on the internet like some others here.

When it comes to things like this, I am usually on the side of evidence, mathematics, and law. Most of the time all 3 stand above the ideas of these online arguments and emotional feelings, as they are usually based on hard data. That’s why I like them so much.

If actual evidence points to something you don’t like, sometimes doubling down isn’t the right call.

Humdinger

The reality is that Twitter puts people in boxes intentionally with makes you "engage" for better or worse. In this case with him admittedly starting fights all the time, of course that box they put him means he's going to be fighting, which is sad because I actually loved his book recommendations (I own several based off what he posted) and postings about things he enjoyed, he's genuinely insightful in that way, but do you really think that bot is going to push that to people when they get a handful of likes and responses? Nah, it'll get post that are literally engineered to get a response out of you. I can't imagine what people see in Twitter anymore, I usually lurk with alternative websites, the ones left anyway, for anything I really care about.

Oh yeah, no doubt Twitter and other social media platforms feed off anger, fear, and division. That's why I don't engage in them myself. I stick to peaceful, harmonious places like GAF (lol). But seriously, Twitter is not a good place to hang out for anyone who values their peace of mind. Sessler is already emotionally imbalanced (imo), and he made a good decision to just unplug and walk away. He needs to take care of his mental health.

Humdinger

So you didn’t read the article then?

…Or did you read it and still would rather believe what you want to?

At least be brave and tag me man.

Also, please don’t spread misinformation about me. Again, I’m not being disrespectful to you at all, if anything I’ve been the opposite. I even provided evidence for my claim, as there is nothing to ‘fight’ for here. You’re responding with condescending comments and brash assumptions about my character and ideologies.

If you want to know my character and my morals, we can have a chat I can simply tell you. I’ve stated how I feel about many things before on this forum very easily, plenty of times.

To claim that I am suddenly pro-Frosk and pro-her ideals is disingenuous and it also means that you’ve already put me into a corner of ‘against’ just because I don’t buy into every twitter story that’s pushed out on the internet like some others here.

When it comes to things like this, I am usually on the side of evidence, mathematics, and law. Most of the time all 3 stand above the ideas of these online arguments and emotional feelings, as they are usually based on hard data. That’s why I like them so much.

If actual evidence points to something you don’t like, sometimes doubling down isn’t the right call.

I'm with you. I think G4 was doomed from a business perspective long before Frosk's rant. Frosk's rant did not help -- it significantly accelerated the dying process -- but it was not the main reason for G4's failure. G4 had far too large an overhead, ignored what made the original G4 fun, and attempted to replicate an old model (which succeeded when G4 had no competition) on a platform where there are thousands of Youtube gaming channels that do a better job of it than they did, at a tiny fraction of the cost.

It was a misconceived venture from the start, doomed to fail. Many people saw this and commented on it at the time. I'm not sure why some people now think Frosk brought down the whole ship by herself. Frosk was more like a skin infection that occurs on a patient with terminal cancer. G4 was doomed from the start because of their business plan. Frosk was just the frosking on the cake.

I'm not interested in relitigating "who killed G4," though. I just wanted to stick up for your perspective, because you're getting a lot of crap. You're speaking sense. In fact, you're just articulating what was the common view at the time. And you're being polite in response to disrespect, something I usually can't be bothered with, so credit to you for that (although I think you're probably wasting your energy).

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Nice strawman, kiddo
You forgot to teleport behind him first !
1UDsih1.jpeg

More seriously, being contemptuous doesn't make your argument better...
You both right to some extent. They were too extravagant with their spending, and if they hired someone friendly and relatable instead of a braindead ideologue they would have fared better.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm with you. I think G4 was doomed from a business perspective long before Frosk's rant. Frosk's rant did not help -- it significantly accelerated the dying process -- but it was not the main reason for G4's failure. G4 had far too large an overhead, ignored what made the original G4 fun, and attempted to replicate an old model (which succeeded when G4 had no competition) on a platform where there are thousands of Youtube gaming channels that do a better job of it than they did, at a tiny fraction of the cost.

It was a misconceived venture from the start, doomed to fail. Many people saw this and commented on it at the time. I'm not sure why some people now think Frosk brought down the whole ship by herself. Frosk was more like a pneumonia that occurs on a patient with terminal cancer. G4 was doomed from the start because of their business plan. Frosk was just the frosking on the cake.

I'm not interested in relitigating the "who killed G4" case, though. I just wanted to stick up for your perspective, because you're getting a lot of crap. You're speaking sense. In fact, you're just articulating what was the common view at the time. And you're being polite in response to disrespect, something I usually can't be bothered with, so credit to you for that (although I think you're probably wasting your energy).
Does anybody actually believe that G4 was on the path to success until the Frosk rant single-handedly killed it? I think pretty much everyone can agree that rebooting G4 was a risky idea with a slim chance of success and there were many problems with it already.

Frosk’s rant and her inclusion on the show were a product and a symptom of the same people/decision making process responsible for all G4’s other blunders. If you criticize her, you ARE criticizing the whole thing. It’s a meaningless distinction.

Topher

Gold Member
Does anybody actually believe that G4 was on the path to success until the Frosk rant single-handedly killed it? I think pretty much everyone can agree that rebooting G4 was a risky idea with a slim chance of success and there were many problems with it already.

Frosk’s rant and her inclusion on the show were a product and a symptom of the same people/decision making process responsible for all G4’s other blunders. If you criticize her, you ARE criticizing the whole thing. It’s a meaningless distinction.

Yeah......my thoughts as well. Frosk's rant along with her comrades cheering her on......accomplished two things: 1) showed comment trolls how easily the idiots on the show were triggered 2) alienated pretty much everyone else watching.

About Frosk, she was an easy target for people to attack and not because she wasn't "bangable"....

She was a detriment to the show day one.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You forgot to teleport behind him first !
1UDsih1.jpeg

More seriously, being contemptuous doesn't make your argument better...
You both right to some extent. They were too extravagant with their spending, and if they hired someone friendly and relatable instead of a braindead ideologue they would have fared better.
That is my point. She played a part in its downfall. Claiming that she had nothing to do with it is disingenuous.

Yeah......my thoughts as well. Frosk's rant along with her comrades cheering her on......accomplished two things: 1) showed comment trolls how easily the idiots on the show were triggered 2) alienated pretty much everyone else watching.

About Frosk, she was an easy target for people to attack and not because she wasn't "bangable"....

She was a detriment to the show day one.

I just don't get why she was given a voice to begin with LOL

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It actually would do well with the right talent. The initial numbers of viewers when the rebooted G4 launched was promising until the viewers realized it was nothing like the old shows at all. Besides the name and (insane) Sessler, it was G4 in name only.

You could be right and that it might be a relic of a better time, but throw in some real gamers, Sydney Sweeney tier hotness, stupid skits/shenanigens, etc and I bet there are many that would tune in. It would be an insta-subscribe for me.

After G4 went under the first time Kevin Pereira started his own talent and content production company and basically remade Attack of the Show for some Disney internet-and-youth focused channel named The Attack, just with younger hosts who were very similar to himself and Olivia Munn. It was popular amongst teens and young adults and lasted several seasons. So it was a proven formula that still worked in the streaming age.

Unfortunately they messed with the formula too much with the relaunch of G4. Rather than just have Kevin with a solid woman co-host and a few standby co-hosts to fill in when the mains were not available (at this point Kevin had a family and was running at least two other side businesses and was pushing 40, so he could not be there every day 24/7, 365 like he could as a single 20-something), they hired a bunch of co-hosts who would all appear at once, while not a single one of them had the charm and talent of Kevin or Olivia. Sure, Kassem G could be funny as the "man on the street" or in small doses as a main host, and a few of the women co-hosts were funny in their own ways and very attractive, but it all felt diluted and unfocused and whenever Kevin wasn't present to save their dying bits / skits it really showed and suffered.

X-Play was just ass with producers that their target audience did not jibe with and did want to see. I remember half of some episodes were near middle age women producers sitting at a desk talking about shit that wasn't even game related. I don't even have to elaborate upon that Frosk woman. The other hosts were uninteresting minor YouTube celebrities. Basically, X-Play was doomed from the start.

Anyways, I still think it's a shame those holding the purse strings chose really bad producers and spent far, far too much money on a brick-and-mortar studio in one of the cities with the highest commercial real estate costs in the entire world. At least I got to enjoy Attack of the Show again for a few months like I was a kid / teenager again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom