• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge Tells Macy's to Stop Shakedown of Minority Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely disgusting. Reading what happened to that poor woman just made me so angry. This should not be an acceptable thing to do to any person.

I'm definitely never going to shop there again.

Syriel

And how do you think that ends up for the minority being harassed?

That's the main difference.

A white customer could immediately bitch up a storm and bring down some serious wrath.

A minority customer is just going to be treated as a "problem" by staff that thinks like those cited in the story.

Nephtis

Hopefully she will sue, and she will make a lot of money over this. It's the very least she deserves after having been put through that.

Also, that manager needs to be slapped with a credit card fraud charge at the very least. Shit like this should not be tolerated.

You guys didn't know they did this? I used to work at a Macy's in IL.

What exactly happens? I still don't get it.

They accuse someone of shoplifting and even if they can produce a receipt they hold them in mall jail and steal their credit card? I'd be calling every news outlet and every attorney I could from their jail cell. Granted they'd never get me in the cell in the first place.

Koomaster

I don't even understand how any of that went down. Did they have video footage of her shoplifting? Why didn't they easily check her receipts and match with what was in her bags?

LOLDSFAN

she had shoplifted, according to an affidavit provided by Moftah’s attorneys from the Usar Law Group

Wait I'm confused. What is the above quote about?

Don't you pay attorneys to represent you? That's like hiring a body guard and then they end up punching you in the face.

Wait I'm confused. What is the above quote about?

Don't you pay attorneys to represent you? That's like hiring a body guard and then they end up punching you in the face.

That's what the manager told her, not what actually happened:
a Macy’s Herald Square manager pulled Moftah aside by the arm, and told her that she needed to accompany her to an office, and that she had shoplifted

Syriel

Can we get all of GAF to boycott them?

Is there a comparative story at a similar type of store?

I had a security guard at Fry's grab a boxed motherboard out of my hand as I was leaving the store once, back in college.

I think I freaked him out when I followed him behind the counter and into the employee only area while loudly repeating "This man is stealing my stuff. Someone please call the cops!"

After a minute or two a manager came over and apologized, while the security guard disappeared. They seem to get really freaked out when you want to call the cops on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom