• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Kutaragi is the Greatest 'emperor' Of All Time and remains SIE's only true visionary

zedinen

Ken was a terrific deputy president and the worst president & CEO.

Ken was wildly successful working for a president & CEO that helped him stay grounded in reality in the 1990s.

Teruhisa Tokunaka was PlayStation president & CEO until April 1999.

ldFveG5.jpeg

tKJlEAK.jpeg

nUi2v3h.jpeg

With Tokunaka gone, Ken fucked up big time due to a disconnect between his vision and Sony's reality. He got stuck within an ivory tower and the PS3 launch was a career ending disaster.

Source: Sony Corporate Report

BZDsNKv.jpeg

xnkOU92.jpeg

QzEUfp9.jpeg

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You have to admit it is fascinating to think what he would have made today instead of off the shelf stuff we get now.

Radical_3d

I’m not reading the deliriums of a madman that post a wall of text like this is the 90s but have my thumb up for a Kutaragi reference.

qbxwhi

they all complained about difficult hardware for ps3 and ps3 , but that difficulty is what brought out the best in developers.

Last edited:
back in the ps3 days, they were talking about putting cell chips in toasters and crap, so a household would have multiple cell devices and they'd all leverage each other's power. ha.

and rumors that the ps3 was originally going to use 100% software rendering via the cell... then when performance targets werent being met, they thought "ok maybe just use 2 cells"... then they capitulated and threw in the nvidia gpu.

it was a wild ride, and i felt like we only got ~10% of the original vision.
I2SK0.png

[F]

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
This guy was comedy gold, I swear he would just say whatever crazy shit popped into his head. Like:

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"

Some stuff is hard to find now but from my memory:

- something like “who ever told you PlayStation 3 is a game console? It’s a home entertainment supercomputer”

- talk about bow PS2 would support Macromedia Flash and AOL instant messenger so you could run that stuff on a second screen while you play

- talk about how you’d be able to “age” DVD movies on PS3 by copying them to the HDD, and the Cell processor would do some kind of offline upscaling and make your movies look better and better the more they aged.

- PS3 is too cheap
"They examined what Microsoft might appropriate from U.S. corporations, as American companies tend to mimic whatever is readily available."

Last edited:

nial

Ken was a terrific deputy president and the worst president & CEO.

Ken was wildly successful working for a president & CEO that helped him stay grounded in reality in the 1990s.

Teruhisa Tokunaka was PlayStation president & CEO until April 1999.
Don't forget Toshio Ozawa, the first ever head of SCEI from its establishment on November 16, 1993 to March 31, 1995.
A big part of the early SCE culture came from its partial owner at the time, Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.; from several executives of the company, to actual game producers and developers as well.
Kazunori Yamauchi came from SMEJ, and Gran Turismo started production of some kind over there.
G397uTj.png

LordOfChaos

Still wish we would have gotten the original PS3. Cell for CPU and GPU, along with three Ethernet and two HDMI ports.

Would have been horrible. As Larrabee eventually found, to make a fast GPU you don't just need cores, but the things that make GPUs fast at GPU things, ROPs, TMUs, etc

The original dual Cell PS3 plan was quickly abandoned as a bad one. It was supposed to have a Toshiba-Sony co developed GPU instead, but that had its own stumbles and then we ended up with the last minute RSX.

What I'd have wished for is a Cell combined with a GPU that didn't let it down so much that it spent the last part of its life just making up for the RSX when it was used well. I wonder what Cell + Xenos would have been like.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Did Phil Spencer ever develop a custom 3d processor or sound chip?
We can debate about who developed what and all those meaningless accomplishments but did Ken Kutaragi ever spend 69 giggity billion dollars on a single acquisition? That sir, takes talent that many lack.

Top Bottom