• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knowing what we know now... is FIGHTERS MEGAMIX still the best fighting game?

holy shit yes..

this game was amazing then, is amazing now..

i am hooking up my saturn again to play these classic games..

i never did play Last Bronx though, should I pick it up?

i remember picking fighter's megamix up at target.. $50.. that was nothing! this was Fighting Vipers and VF2 combined, with some VF3 moves, and more!

oh man, seriously.. i nearly blew a load when I popped this game in my saturn..

any comments?

I will buy last bronx off the web...

by the way, if anyone is looking for a sweet as site to get some old school sega stuff..

www.sega-parts.com they have tons of sealed old sega stuff.. problem is, prices are a bit high..

aoi tsuki

Holy shit no...

It was like some unholy mixture of Sega characters, most of which from fighters, all joined together by a modified FV engine. A great game, but the best fighter? It wasn't even the best fighter when it was released... see console VF2.

Last Bronx is one of my favorite fighters of all time. i wish i gave it more playtime before i sold it. i wasn't really fond of the combo system -- some of the strings were impossible to pull off. Easily one of the coolest storylines in a fighter to date, along with some of the coolest characters. Really needs a sequel...

last bronx looks like its going to be hard to find..

i am buying fighting vipers right now off ebay... should get it shipped for under $5..

i already have megamix and VF2..

VF on 32X
and VF2 on SS

^^^^ two of my most played and favorite fighters ever.

i really dont think it gets much better than VF1 actually.. its so amazing.... and its so easy for someone to really get the hang of, that is becomes quite the chess match between two people... always thought the 32X version was the best however..

never had last bronx or fighting vipers, so looking forward to owning FV, will try to pickup Last bronx if i ever can find it...

how is FV2 for dreamcast? did that come out in USA?

Anube

knowing what we know now, are you on Sega Saturn's nutzack?

hehe, i loved fighter's megamix and Nights.

Bebpo

Banned
Fighters Megamix was the MvC2/CvS/SvC/Capcom Allstars of 3d fighters.

It'd be neat if they attempted another "throw random characters in from all kinds of 3d fighters" mix 3d game. I especially liked how in FM you could chose to have VF gameplay or FV gameplay. It wasn't really a tournament worthy game, but hey it was a lot of fun :)

Vormund

Last Bronx is a graphically glitchy pile of shit....well at least the gameplay is intact.

No you can't have my copy...besides it's PAL anyway. :D

callous

LuckyBrand said:
i really dont think it gets much better than VF1 actually.. its so amazing.... and its so easy for someone to really get the hang of, that is becomes quite the chess match between two people

I agree with this VF1 love.

Hornet rules all! FM is a fun title...but it only served to irritate me that Sega wussed out on bringing Sonic the Fighters (Sonic Championship) to the Saturn. Weak.

I like Fighter's Megamix but really the game didn't grab me that much. Every single Saturn game I own seems like just a novelty to me. They're not really full games, but just little samples of popular genres. Of course a few I enjoyed more than others namely Burning Rangers and Clockwork Knight, but that is about it. I have yet to play Bug, and some of the RPG series yet so I'll save comment on those later. But I do have just about every major fighter on the Saturn.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fighters' Megamix would have had to have actually been called "the best fighting game" for anyone to still be considering it to be so...and it never was. :p

Last Bronx is okay...the button mashing factor is way too high for it to last long, though. And there's no point to buying Fighting Vipers when you have Megamix, BTW, since everything from FV is IN Megamix. Import Fighting Vipers 2 for the DC instead, unless you just have to have Pepsiman, who was in the import FV1 only anyway.

I still would love to see a new Fighters Megamix game; I loved the idea of it and had fun playing the game back in '96; an updated version with VF4 PS2-quality visuals would rock.

What they said.

I was really counting on Sega to make this their King of Fighters title. Annual or at least regular sequels adding new characters, and nods to their more esoteric titles.

Oh well, it's Sega. So you can't expect them to do anything right, or blatantly obvious.

Last Bronx was interesting for the premise, until you got into the meat of it. What initially is a cool gangs fighting for turf theme, falls back into the horrid fighting game story staples of mind control and sibling rivalry. Meh - IS THERE REALLY SOMETHING SO WRONG WITH KIDS BEATING EACH OTHER UP FOR OWNERSHIP OF A PARK?!!?!

The fighting was a big low point in that era of Sega. On a scale of Saturn to Dreamcast, Last Bronx would be a Dreamcast +. A complete miserable failure worth overlooking.

It had a nice intro though. . .

Top Bottom