• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lewis Hamilton- "Gran Turismo is definitely the best racing game that I've tried"

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

His first console was Nintendo? He washed cars for 2 years to buy a PlayStation 1, and then had to sell it to buy a new helmet. His favorite racing game is Gran Turismo (I think there's a sponsorship deal involved, he also tried GT Sport if I remember correctly). He struggles like everyone else in The Driver tutorial. Nowadays, he plays Call of Duty and Fortnite(wow). I oddly feel happy when I see famous gamers lol.

Raven117

He is sponsered/consultant on GT. It’s usually on his cap.

He has to say that. In the end, I very much doubt he is much of a gamer…. Max on the other hand…. (And lando)… I mean, max travels with a sim kit so he can play Iracing in the hotel. He takes it ridiculously seriously.

SkylineRKR

Driver was fucking good. But that tutorial mission... I bet 90% of the gamers were legit stuck there. You had to be near perfect to progress. Still, gamers sucked it up. Not that they had any way to beg for a patch lol.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Its too mainstream now. It's like finding out famous people read books or watch movies.
I don't think it has become that popular yet.
Strangely the guy doesn’t like sims and doesn’t practice in them at all, unlike Verstappen who actually asks the hotel to have good wifi bandwidth for iRacing.

Just to say he’s no sim buff. He likes a « game ». Doesn’t say anything else than that
Verstappen's father was an F1 pilot; the guy was born into money, accustomed to such toys from childhood. On the other hand, we're talking about a kid who washed cars for 2 years just to get a PlayStation 1. Generational difference is also important, of course.

Buggy Loop

I don't think it has become that popular yet.

Verstappen's father was an F1 pilot; the guy was born into money, accustomed to such toys from childhood. On the other hand, we're talking about a kid who washed cars for 2 years just to get a PlayStation 1. Generational difference is also important, of course.

Verstappen was also born into a world where a beating and humiliation until he gets better was the routine. Quite the shithead father.

Last edited:

Neff

I can't take a man who sells a PlayStation and doesn't cite Ridge Racer as his favourite racing game seriously.

Dr.Morris79

Of course he'd say that, but he's never played the best..

pVrBp84.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

*Nightwing

“Sim racing hater loves Gran Turismo”

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
GT is pretty awesome, and he's a pro, so he knows shit

I wonder if he ever played Forza too

diffusionx

Gold Member
I once read an article that interviewed a pro racer that said sim racing is like reality but with all the fun stuff removed.

Guy who hates sim racers and is sponsored by GT, says he loves GT. Seems on brand, literally.

Also I’ll post Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, since no one else has. Amazing racer.

Three

“Sim racing hater loves Gran Turismo”

Bloody ridiculous to call him a "sim racing hater" from links all based on 1 interview where he said he doesn't spend much time in the Mercedes simulator because he can't feel the car. That doesn't mean he hates sim racing.

“I don’t find, personally, any benefit whatsoever doing the simulation thing.
But the actual fun, gaming side of things, when you get to play with friends and people online, that’s a fun stage.”

Last edited:

onQ123

GT set the standard the only video game that I showed off to my granddad when I was young like " Look at these cars" lol

Looking back GT 1 on PS1 looks terrible now but coming from the Super Nintendo to PS1 that game looked amazing 😂

Unknown?

GT set the standard the only video game that I showed off to my granddad when I was young like " Look at these cars" lol

Looking back GT 1 on PS1 looks terrible now but coming from the Super Nintendo to PS1 that game looked amazing 😂
I remember showing my dad GT3 at a kiosk in Best Buy and his response was, "wow that looks better than real life!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

onQ123

I remember showing my dad GT3 at a kiosk in Best Buy and his response was, "wow that looks better than real life!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lol the new generation will never understand how amazing it was to watch the evaluation of video game graphics , like noticing physics in games for the 1st time when the Dreamcast came out & stuff moving in the background on Soul Calibur or seeing the eyes move around in Ready 2 Rumble, these were holy $h!+ moments for us but now it's nothing lol .

I hope that Next Gen make that big change going into Ray-Tracing.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The sponsorship certainly has an impact but Gran Turismo(1997-98) is one of the first popular sim racing games. Nowadays everyone calls it a sim-cade, but real/serious simulation games came much later than Gran Turismo (GTR was released in 2005). It's not surprising for an F1 driver who fondly remembers PlayStation 1 to love Gran Turismo(He was 13 years old when Gran Turismo came out).

Top Bottom