• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Monster Hunter: World....this is a coop game, right?

Fbh

Monster Hunter is one of those franchises I tried to get into several years ago, and despite it not clicking with me back then I've always been interested in giving it a second chance.
I bought MH3U back on 3DS, when I wasn't really feeling it I bought it again for WiiU thinking maybe better performance and a second analogue stick would make the difference, but it didn't really change my perception of the game (other than making the awful underwater missions slightly less awful) and eventually I dropped it.

Over time I've come to realize that maybe my biggest issue was playing it solo when it seems like a big part of the appeal is hunting with friends.
So me an a couple of friends have been looking for a new co-op game and I suggested we pick up MH world. It's not really their usual type of game (they are more into shooters) but since it's super cheap now and they have heard the buzz about the game over the years I managed to convince them.

Yesterday we tried our first hunt and, after a rather lengthy tutorial, we are presented with one of the stupidest most unnecessarily complicated Co-op systems I've ever encountered.
So for story missions, which are the only ones available at first, instead of simply being able to invite your friends and launch a mission we all have to start the mission separately on our own and progress through it until we see a cutscene. Then, from what we gathered, we can abandon the mission and THEN we can actually launch it together?
Who came up with this system? How many people did it go through without anyone saying "hey don't you guys think this is retarded"?
It almost feels like we are playing a souls game where you sort of have to trick it into letting you play with friends. One of my friends even specifically asked me if it was some weird souls-like coop before buying the game and I reassured him it's one of the biggest co-op games so it's definitely going to be more straightforward lol.

Other than that it seems cool so far. Compared to 3U I definitely like the bigger more seamless environments.
I think I'm going to try the Charge blade for now, I've read it's a bit more technical than the other but IDK, it seems cool.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

ya, it sucks. MHW is a phenomenal game but they def need to work on the multiplayer tech. the way you group up in general is just very different than many other games and makes it feel unnatural because of this. Rise was much better IMO but still needs work

Skifi28

I have 1800 hours on playstation mostly solo and 200 on PC which I bought again just to play with friends. These games not being cross-platform is a crime and we always had issues disconnecting for no reason. It doesn't seem convoluted to me now as I'm used to it, but trying to progress the story with friends really is a mess. Usually we would individually go through the story and just grind in co-op.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah it's because of the monster sighting thing, so you can only join after that plays; I'm guessing there were possibly some synchronisation issues with multiple people. The real meat of the mp stuff comes after the story though, you'll be able to coop non stop.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Skifi28

The real meat of the mp stuff comes after the story though, you'll be able to coop non stop.
Indeed. As annoying as the issues are, the story is a small part and the game really begins afterwards so you'll be able to die 200 times to Fatalis with no other issues since that friend keeps falling for the same stupid attack even though you've explained to him 50 times how to avoid it.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Monster Hunter is one of those franchises I tried to get into several years ago, and despite it not clicking with me back then I've always been interested in giving it a second chance.
I bought MH3U back on 3DS, when I wasn't really feeling it I bought it again for WiiU thinking maybe better performance and a second analogue stick would make the difference, but it didn't really change my perception of the game (other than making the awful underwater missions slightly less awful) and eventually I dropped it.

Over time I've come to realize that maybe my biggest issue was playing it solo when it seems like a big part of the appeal is hunting with friends.
So me an a couple of friends have been looking for a new co-op game and I suggested we pick up MH world. It's not really their usual type of game (they are more into shooters) but since it's super cheap now and they have heard the buzz about the game over the years I managed to convince them.

Yesterday we tried our first hunt and, after a rather lengthy tutorial, we are presented with one of the stupidest most unnecessarily complicated Co-op systems I've ever encountered.
So for story missions, which are the only ones available at first, instead of simply being able to invite your friends and launch a mission we all have to start the mission separately on our own and progress through it until we see a cutscene. Then, from what we gathered, we can abandon the mission and THEN we can actually launch it together?
Who came up with this system? How many people did it go through without anyone saying "hey don't you guys think this is retarded"?
It almost feels like we are playing a souls game where you sort of have to trick it into letting you play with friends. One of my friends even specifically asked me if it was some weird souls-like coop before buying the game and I reassured him it's one of the biggest co-op games so it's definitely going to be more straightforward lol.

Other than that it seems cool so far. Compared to 3U I definitely like the bigger more seamless environments.
I think I'm going to try the Charge blade for now, I've read it's a bit more technical than the other but IDK, it seems cool.
That system is stupid but you only have to do it rarely for some story missions. The actual fun grinding will make that irrelevant (it did so for me to the point that I even forgot that was a thing).

I made my way through Rise and its DLC recently with a friend too, and that system seems to be gone.

GymWolf

It can be played solo no problem and since i always play with random people i never really had a problem onestly.

Not playing many multyplayer games probably doesn't make me realize how bad the system is...

Played solo most of the time. It's more fun with friends but Capcom is notoriously bad at implementing streamlined co-op experiences. Dragon's Dogma online was that much better but it already felt a step in the right direction. I didn't buy MH Rise but I would believe it must be similar to MHW. Surprisingly many Japanese games love the Hub-system co-op experience, it is basically a cultural thing where they like to play in smaller groups or somewhat similar to the old Lan co-op experience. Another recent example is Granblue Fantasy Relink, the hub system and mission structure for co-op play sucks, and the story is single-player only, making it every limiting to co-op early on.

Famipan

Yeah I had similar experience on PC version where we Discorded while trying to co-op in vain realising three of us had to finish a couple quests before we could co-op.

And the PC version with DualShock4 didn’t work the same as PS4 version. When trying to open the explanation for certain stuff/ailments/curses etc I couldn’t open it at all on PC version. That and all the messiness with playing coop made me play solo on PS5 instead.

But I still miss MH Tri on Wii. World is too cluttered. I wish they made a simpler retro looking modern MH game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I didn't buy MH Rise but I would believe it must be similar to MHW.
Rise didn't have the wait for cutscene stuff, but you also couldn't play the story in coop at all, and the mp experience was overall gutted compared to MHW because of the switch' lower specs.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah you prolly should've looked it up. Its not really a coop game just because it has coop. It's a horrible system. Play it alone. Find other genuine coop games to play.

Play the campaign solo. Play multiplayer the rest of the time. It worked fine for me. I crammed 100 hours into the first month on PS4.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The best MH was Tri and 3 ultimate.

I used to solo both Freedom and Unite back then on PSP.

MH is not what it used to be since it is mainstream.

These games used to be disliked and mostly reviewed with low scores so, Capcom had to americanized the shit out of the series by dumbing down everything. Adding auto lock on, dragon balls combos and being overpowered all the time. Having nearly infinite items and space in pouch. Cats and Dogs and shit fighting for you, that also are invincible etc etc etc

I always say this to anyone who is new to MH, the first 10 hours of MHW were 10 of the worst, most frustrating hours I have had the displeasure to endure. But I really liked the idea of it, and the coop (aside from joining) is the most fluid drop-in drop-out experience. I watched some youtube videos (Arrekz, GajinHunter) to explain how to play the game itself and how to use my weapon. It has since become one of my favorite games ever, and my favorite multiplayer game. Stick with it.

Top Bottom