• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man hides from cops in lake, gets arm bitten off by gator. You know where (FLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://kxan.com/2016/05/13/man-runs-into-lake-to-escape-cops-gator-bites-off-his-forearm/

LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — A man who ran into a Lakeland lake to escape from police had three quarters of his arm bitten off by an alligator in the lake, police said on Thursday.

Officers responded to a home on Long Lake Circle at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday after receiving a call about a disturbance. A Lakeland Police Department spokesperson said that a mother called and said her son, age, 21, needed psychological help and was having an episode at the time.

According to the man’s family, he suffers from PTSD. The man had gone into a wooded area behind their apartment and his mother was concerned for his safety. She said that if her son was found, she wanted him taken into custody under the Baker Act law.

“The cops were looking for him and it got pretty rough before he left and next thing I know, probably about 45 minutes later, I got a text from my wife saying I hear screaming out here,” said Taylor.

He ran to the lake and saw his the victim on the ground.

“My neighbor was out here saying are you okay? What’s going on? Is everything all right? I say, is that you? He says, yeah. He says a gator got me,” said Taylor

Taylor couldn’t believe what he saw next.

“I said, what’s wrong man? He says, my hand hurts. I said which hand is it? He lifts it up and there is no hand there at all,” said Taylor.

I don't know where to begin.

Guevara

I remember some joy riders crashed their vehicle into the swamp a few months back and they ended up drowning. No one was willing to run into the dark, snake- and gator-infested water to help.

Shy Fingers

Banned
How many hands must he take before he's had enough?!
img-thing

The Hobo

I remember some joy riders crashed their vehicle into the swamp a few months back and they ended up drowning. No one was willing to run into the dark, snake- and gator-infested water to help.

Two cops tried to help but found visibility to be too poor.

It's weird to think that in FL there is an actual danger of getting killed by an aligator. The deadliest animal where I live is probably a rattlesnake, though I've never seen (or heard) one so they must be pretty rare here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Poor guy is actually mentally ill, whereas real Florida Man is legally competent. Just not actually.

cameron

A Lakeland Police Department spokesperson said that a mother called and said her son, age, 21, needed psychological help and was having an episode at the time.

According to the man’s family, he suffers from PTSD. The man had gone into a wooded area behind their apartment and his mother was concerned for his safety. She said that if her son was found, she wanted him taken into custody under the Baker Act law.
Police say the man was missing approximately three quarters of his left forearm. EMS responded to the scene and transported him to Lakeland Regional Health Center. The man was also placed under the Baker Act due to his condition.
That is depressing. Poor dude. Google says the Baker Act is a Florida Mental Health Act for emergency or involuntary commitment.

Omni

I mean...

Would you? Horrible situation. But I can't imagine voluntarily walking into that would have ended well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom