• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Advances Deal + e-Reader Stuff (Europe Wii U Virtual Console)

Robin64

As of right now, GBA games Mario Advance 1, 2, and 4 are on the Wii U eShop for €6.99/£6.29 each. These are the remakes/ports/whatever of Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Bros. 3 respectively.

The deal is, if you buy two you get the third one absolutely free. That's right, absolutely free!

But the best news is that for the first time ever in Europe, the e-Reader levels for Mario Advance 4 are included. Originally, our Mario Advance 4 had all e-Reader chatter stripped out of it as the e-Reader was never going to come out here.

WVW69i-tXkMfTdhYtE

So Nintendo once again bringing content to a continent that never got it before! Very happy about that.

mclem

I didn't pick up the Mario Advances on GBA because in each case I'd already played the original to death - but don't they all have a little extra content in them over the (S)NES versions? Other than the e-Reader levels, what's there?

2 (world) and 4 (bros 3) are great but 1 I could do without, so the deal isn't as great as it could be, basically you get one free game you don't want anyway

I didn't pick up the Mario Advances on GBA because in each case I'd already played the original to death - but don't they all have a little extra content in them over the (S)NES versions? Other than the e-Reader levels, what's there?

Remakes of the original Mario Bros
Voice acting

cyba89

So is it worth it to buy these games when I already own the original NES/SNES-versions on VC? If not are at least the e-reader levels worth buying SMB3 a second time?

Piccoro

I wish they also discounted Advance 3, because I never played Yoshi's Island...

But Mario 3 is cool, I guess.

Robin64

So is it worth it to buy these games when I already own the original NES/SNES-versions on VC? If not are at least the e-reader levels worth buying SMB3 a second time?

I would say it's worth it for the e-Reader levels. There are some really wonderful uses of objects that Mario 3 never had, such as the cape, picking up vegetables, running on walls and ceiling (think Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island), keys, and so on.

Danneee

Very nice.
I'm thoroughly enjoying MA4 on my GB Micro, awesome game and my favourite Mario platformer. And probably even better with the new levels.

Chiramii

Bought all of them for GBA and loved them all. The addition of e-reader levels is fantastic news, thanks NoE!

Ridley327

SMB3 is the only one with any real new content in it. SMB2 is a port of the SMAS version with voice acting and the Mario Bros. minigame, while SMW is, well, SMW with the Mario Bros. minigame and way worse music quality. There's really no reason to pick up SMW when the superior SNES version is on the eShop right alongside the GBA port.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Advance 1 is more than just a SMB2 port. They added lots of extra elements to show off the Advance's capabilities. Silly things like giant vegetables, to new bonus rooms and even a new boss. There's even a find the Yoshi egg mode unlocked after you've beaten the game. It's not significant like the new SMB3 levels, but it's the only one that has changes made to the core game beyond minor tweaks.

I never got SMA4 back in the day, mostly because the new content wasn't available in Europe. I might consider getting it now. Don't need the other two.

Robin64

Well there are some other minor additions.

Mario Advance (Mario 2) has the addition of Ace Coins, which give you a star on the map screen. You also unlock Yoshi's Challenge after beating the game, which hides two Yoshi eggs in each level to find. There are also some new giant variations on enemies and vegetables, though not enough to make a huge difference to the game. Robirdo is a new boss that appears.

Mario Advance 2 (World) now has the ability to play as Luigi, who controls completely differently from Mario. Dragon Coins are in every level, not just some, and collecting them all turns them to Peach Coins. The post-game graphics have even more changes.

As well a huge of amount of tweaks that one might consider to be like a patch.

but it's the only one that has changes made to the core game beyond minor tweaks.

The SMW remake has an entire new playable character with all new mechanics (Luigi)

I would definitely say that the GBA Super Mario World is NOT 'Just what I needed!'.

I grew up with the GBA port of SMW. It was the only version I knew of as a kid, and never played the original until just a few years ago on the Wii U.

So I actually find the SNES version inferior, due to some of the changes the GBA remake made, heh.

I miss the SMW voices in Mario Maker

Didn't realise this was out today, just gave Super Mario Bros 3 a purchase for the e-reader levels. We need more virtual console games that differ from previous releases like Earthbound Beginnings and Sin and Punishment.

BAW

Banned
Fantastic price for the best SMA4 version. All e-reader levels and accurate colors. Get it.

Be advised that SMA1 & SMA2 have artificially brightened colors compared to the SNES originals, in order to cater for the original's GBA screen. They will look pretty washed out now. I would suggest finding the color-corrected roms and a legal way to play them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't mind the softer tones of SMA. Kind of adds to the dream world.

It's not like Donkey Kong Country Advance levels of bad.

octopiggy

Thats so cool. Definitely picking up Advance 4. I hope they keep doing stuff like this. Virtual Console is so much more attractive when they add value to old games like this.

Didn't realise this was out today, just gave Super Mario Bros 3 a purchase for the e-reader levels. We need more virtual console games that differ from previous releases like Earthbound Beginnings and Sin and Punishment.

Don't forget Duck Hunt!

The SMW remake has an entire new playable character with all new mechanics (Luigi)

I grew up with the GBA port of SMW. It was the only version I knew of as a kid, and never played the original until just a few years ago on the Wii U.

So I actually find the SNES version inferior, due to some of the changes the GBA remake made, heh.

I miss the SMW voices in Mario Maker

I grew up with the super nes version and I still prefer the GBA version in some ways. I dont mind the voice acting, it came in spanish, the new intros are nice, the menus stating the clear percentage are a cool addition, and then there's the princess coin challenge after you collect the yoshi coins in all the levels (yoshi coins were only to get 1 more life in the original game, but the new menus track the coins now), you can choose the character now between mario and luigi, instead of using the 2p trick to do that in the supernes, and both have a beat symbol for every stage in the tracking menu becuase Luigi now controls like his SMB2 version, and other small details like life counters being 999 instead of 99 (not becuase you need those lifes, but is cool to get all those and see the counter to max to 100% the game).

I still have a perfect save of the game in my original GBA card. Everything cleared with Mario and Luigi, got all the Yoshi and Peach coins for every stage, have Mario and Luigi both with blue yoshis and 2 capes, have a 99 in the bonus score, a 999 lives on the live counter and 99999999990 points on the score counter.

Thats so cool. Definitely picking up Advance 4. I hope they keep doing stuff like this. Virtual Console is so much more attractive when they add value to old games like this.

Don't forget Duck Hunt!

Yeah for sure, Duck Hunt was such a good Wii remote remaster and you could even turn the curser off.

Thanks for letting us know!

Never played an Advance game, so 14 euro for 3 games isn't a bad deal. Nintendo should do this more often.

NimbusD

I still have my e-reader. I think I used it once. It amounted to a crap un-collectable and gross looking version of Amiibo.

Glad that they're not just throwing away that content.

SMB3 is the only one with any real new content in it. SMB2 is a port of the SMAS version with voice acting and the Mario Bros. minigame, while SMW is, well, SMW with the Mario Bros. minigame and way worse music quality. There's really no reason to pick up SMW when the superior SNES version is on the eShop right alongside the GBA port.

They added a bunch of stuff to SMB2. New/changed boss fights, new items, red coins, some graphic/level design changes. These make it my favourite version of SMB2:
hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom