• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Orion 2 vs. Master of Orion 3 - which is better?

Bregor

If you are looking for a Space based 3x game, Space Empires 4 is excellent:

http://www.malfador.com/se4.html

It has dated graphics, but good gameplay, and countless mods available for it.

You might want to wait for Space Empires 5, however. It will have 3d graphics, among other improvements.

SD-Ness

Cool. But I'm gonna play this for awhile.

Fixed the patch thing.

But does anyone know how to play this online with cable...I can't dialup...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kefkaff said:
Master of Magic >>>>> any MoO
Actually I would give the nod to MOO1 over it - mainly thanks to the plethora of terminal bugs and MoM's affinity to have 50% of games be impossible to complete due to said bugs. But bugs aside, the two games are pretty close imo.

Irony is that Moo had official sequells that all failed to live up to the first one, whereas MoM has a sequell in everything but the name in AgeOfWonders 2, and that game is basically everything original MoM should have been.

Bregor said:
It has dated graphics, but good gameplay, and countless mods available for it.
Who cares about graphics, I still play original MOO every now and then. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Kefkaff

Banned
Irony is that Moo had official sequells that all failed to live up to the first one, whereas MoM has a sequell in everything but the name in AgeOfWonders 2, and that game is basically everything original MoM should have been.

I got Age of Wonders 2 in hopes of it being that way... unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it.

And I NEVER encountered a bug while playing MoM. The only bugs I experienced, was actually getting into the game(solved by my brother), and when casting the best spell in the game(the one that basically ends the game) would lock the game up. Other then that, no problems at all.

Oh, and I played MoO2 and didn't really like it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I second Dinky, AOW2:Shadow Magic is the one to try, much closer to MoM classic gameplay. My only real complaint with AoW2:SM was that settling is still following a much simpler model then Civ/MoM games. You can make any city grow to full size given enough time, which takes something away from finding good settling spots and cultivating them.

And I NEVER encountered a bug while playing MoM. The only bugs I experienced, was actually getting into the game(solved by my brother), and when casting the best spell in the game(the one that basically ends the game) would lock the game up. Other then that, no problems at all.
Then you are just incredibly lucky, or maybe I'm unlucky. Like I said, about 50% of my games would permamently lock up (loading previous saves wouldn't solve it). And even last year, when I tried playing the game through VirtualPC, I experienced unsolvable lockup about halfway through, on my first try.
None of the patches ever fixed that for me either.

Oh, and I played MoO2 and didn't really like it.
MoO2 tried to change too many things - the micromanagement of colonies was overly tedious in later stages of the game. Previous game did this perfect, they should have stuck with it. I liked the changes made to battle strategy and research trees though, but in the end the game could use some more challenging AI, even impossible level is way too easy to beat.
Did you ever play the first one?

Shadow Magic is a great homage (or rip-off, for those less kindly inclined) of the classic MoM. I might have been upset if there had been an official sequel, which I remember was announced backin the late 90's and was supposed to have 8 planes instead of 2, but Shadow Magic is a perfect sequel in almost every way, even if it is unofficial.

The game very consciuosly mimics MoM, down to the Shadow Plane (Myrran) and the random map generator it now has. Also, many of the same units are available as well as many of the sme buildings. They have been redisrtibuted among the races, but Orcs, for example, still have wyvern riders.

A few management options have been simplified, and not all aspects of the game are as good as MoM, but combat is far superior, especially with all the possible units attacking in battle.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
A few management options have been simplified, and not all aspects of the game are as good as MoM, but combat is far superior, especially with all the possible units attacking in battle.
Yes, combat is practically perfect - I remember even when I was playing MoM years ago I thought of wanting those exact things that SM added (like multiple armies from multiple players engaging in battle etc.).
If they make another game and work on improving the city building aspects, I'll be waiting in line for that one :p

Top Bottom