• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

ElRenoRaven

For the life of me I can't figure out why Xbox seems incapable of retaining talent.
The problem comes down to how they develop their games. The using of a never ending stream of contract folks and cycling them out every 18 or whatever months it was is the ultimate problem. You have to bring them up to speed, then by the time they get really going they're cycled out rinse and repeat. So anyone who is lucky enough to be a talent who isn't contract has to deal with that and the slowness it results in, the problem of things not being finished or having to be restarted, etc. They get frustrated and say screw it and leave for other companies who aren't using that strategy. This results in changes of those in charge of the games and their whims to change things to what they want. Hence multiple changes, rebooting said games, reworking of what has already been done, etc.

To be honest Microsoft has brought this upon themselves from greed and not wanting to have to give people benefits, rightful pay, etc. That's ultimately what it comes down to.

Here is how I'd fix this problem. Hire developers, drop the cycling of contracted staff. Hire folks for the duration of development so they stay up to speed and you don't have the constant delays of having to bring new groups up to speed over and over again. Then I'd create defined structures at these studios. I remember reading about various Halo games for example how you'd have whole groups basically working on their own version of the same game. You can't have that. You need one defined vision and direction of what you're making. You don't need people wasting resources and time fighting over who's vision for the game is right. Those in charge should determining that and from day 1 of a project. Basically you need real leaders who will take charge.

Barakov

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Microsoft needs to stay in their lane.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Every last one of you who cheered that acquisition and mocked anyone who said it was a bad idea. Do this right now. Stand in front of a mirror. Repeat this line, ten times: I am not a clown. I am the entire circus.

I'll say it again. Microsoft didn't buy them to win a console war for you. Maybe Xbox thought that's what it was. But not their masters. Activision was bought so Microsoft could keep a strong position in gaming after it kills Xbox.

You actually cheered for them to buy the gun they were going to use to off your favorite brand. Now thousands have lost their jobs, five studios were closed, consolidated, or left as shells before becoming independent, and more are on the way.

In no small part because of the biggest consolidation move in gaming history. Despite those of you who refused to see it that way, even with history telling us, in more ways than one, this was coming. The same group who mocked anyone telling you that Gamepass was a bad idea. That it couldn't be sustained without something being broken.

No. You couldn't have changed this, even if you wanted to. But, consider it a lesson you probably still won't learn. You weren't smarter than the ones you disregarded. As they say, time makes a fool of us all. That being said, everyone else needs to remember you as a lesson, too.

Everyone needs to remember this going forward. Consolidation is not for you. It's for the owners. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. When someone shows you who they are, stop letting them tell you otherwise.

Okay. Gonna hop down off my cringe as fuck soap box moment. Just gonna say I love ya'll. Enjoy your games. Don't be dicks. 😘🥰
vteiLrT.jpeg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Redfall will be our most supported game post-launch.
-Phil Spencer

Does he like lying like this?

Kinda ugly to see someone from the industry immediately focusing this on himself and not losing a single word about fellow developers losing their jobs.

He's right to say this though. He's telling and showing people directly the "WHY" he hasn't sold to a mega-corporation. The timing couldn't be better.

Top Bottom