• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is working on an Xbox AI chatbot that can help with support queries and game refunds

Microsoft is currently testing a new AI-powered Xbox chatbot that can be used to automate support tasks. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans tell The Verge that the software giant has been testing an "embodied AI character" that animates when responding to Xbox support queries. I understand this Xbox AI chatbot is part of a larger effort inside Microsoft to apply AI to its Xbox platform and services.

The Xbox AI chatbot is connected to Microsoft's support documents for the Xbox network and ecosystem, and can respond to questions and even process game refunds. "This agent can help you with your Xbox support questions," reads a description of the Xbox chatbot internally at Microsoft.
Microsoft expanded the testing pool for its Xbox chatbot more broadly in recent days, suggesting that this prototype "Xbox Support Virtual Agent" may one day handle support queries for all Xbox customers. Microsoft confirmed the existence of its chatbot to The Verge.

"We are testing an Xbox Support Virtual Agent, an internal prototype of an animated character that can query Xbox Support topics with voice or text," says Haiyan Zhang, general manager of gaming AI at Xbox, in a statement to The Verge. "The prototype makes it easier and quicker for players to get help with support topics using natural language, taking information from existing Xbox Support pages."
Microsoft's prototype Xbox chatbot is part of a broader effort inside Microsoft Gaming to bring AI-powered features and tools to the Xbox platform and developer tools. Sources tell me that Microsoft is also working on bringing AI features to game content creation, game operations, and its Xbox platform and devices. This includes experimenting with AI-generated art and assets for games, AI game testing, and the generative AI NPCs that Microsoft has already partnered with Inworld to develop.

Microsoft is also considering building AI-powered Copilots for safety and moderation tasks, including content moderation on the Xbox platform and to help with enforcement and appeals processes. Microsoft is also looking at how it could add AI-powered assistants into games, providing ways for players to get help while they play.

StereoVsn

It would be more useful if it could look up guide information for you while you played.

“Clippy, tell me optimal walkthrough through this dungeon, avoiding traps and maximizing loot and experience”. Then Clippy Co-Pilot would narrate as you go along and maybe even paint a map overlay over the top.

Looking up support articles is freaking pointless

Edit: And you just know MS would make this an add-on to GP Ultimate. “With Xbox Co-Pilot Premium add-on to GamePass Ultimate you can go further! Only $9.99/month”.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Whoops! The tag should be news instead of nsfw. Hope that a kind mod can change it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Shouldn’t the headline more accurately state that it’s a support AI chat bot?
The last time Microsoft released a chatbot into the wild, it went perfectly well!

Actually, that would be the Bing/CoPilot chat bot that’s powered by GPT-4.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Diy Builder GIF by Microsoft Cloud

nowhat

Actually, that would be the Bing/CoPilot chat bot that’s powered by GPT-4.
If it's able to receive any external input to adjust its output, I see no other no other outcome than what it was with "Tay". Because Internet.

Ozriel

M$FT
I've just used the headline that The Verge provided. 🤷

Yeah, theVerge needs clickbait to bring people to the articles. Part of their business model.

If it's able to receive any external input to adjust its output, I see no other no other outcome than what it was with "Tay". Because Internet.

Training data’s most certainly already frozen and won’t take training inputs from users, if it’s using a custom GPT like we assume.

Pelta88

We’ve been here before. MS trying to stuff the broader conglomerate strategy into its gaming division is nothing new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom