• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Mr Hyde

The Abyss

Bought the 4K edition and watched the special edition cut which is about half an hour longer than the theatrical version. I'm a big James Cameron fan, I've watched all of his movies religiously, but The Abyss is the only one in his filmography I've only seen once. And that was so long ago that I barely remember anything at all.

The movie holds up extremely well for being more than 30 years old. It goes deep to really portray life under water with a rag tag crew living with each other in crampy submarines. For a Cameron movie it's pretty light on action but the mystery and suspense is so great you forget about action almost instantly. Some scenes are heart pounding and very tense, and it's not difficult at all to see just how insanely difficult this shoot must've been. Top notch performances by Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, who both gets pushed to the extreme, which makes you care extra much about their characters fates.

I didn't really click with the ending, it felt a bit to melodramatic for my taste. It's a beautiful message but it's pretty heavy handed and the aliens feel kinda out of place, they just felt kinda bizarre with no mystique to them.

The Abyss is infamous for its grueling production and how Cameron treated his actors and crew (and himself, dude must be a masochist or something) and it takes away from the final product. It's a shame what happened to Mary Elizabeth because I would love to hear her thoughts about the movie but she refuses to speak about it and isn't featured on this 4K edition behind the scenes or any promotional material. She delivered a very good and heartfelt performance and I can't imagine how difficult it must've been to be focused and in character when outside conditions are fucking you up beyond repair.

Last edited:
The Abyss

Bought the 4K edition and watched the special edition cut which is about half an hour longer than the theatrical version. I'm a big James Cameron fan, I've watched all of his movies religiously, but The Abyss is the only one in his filmography I've only seen once. And that was so long ago that I barely remember anything at all.

The movie holds up extremely well for being more than 30 years old. It goes deep to really portray life under water with a rag tag crew living with each other in crampy submarines. For a Cameron movie it's pretty light on action but the mystery and suspense is so great you forget about action almost instantly. Some scenes are heart pounding and very tense, and it's not difficult at all to see just how insanely difficult this shoot must've been. Top notch performances by Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, who both gets pushed to the extreme, which makes you care extra much about their characters fates.

I didn't really click with the ending, it felt a bit to melodramatic for my taste. It's a beautiful message but it's pretty heavy handed and the aliens feel kinda out of place, they just felt kinda bizarre with no mystique to them.

The Abyss is infamous for its grueling production and how Cameron treated his actors and crew (and himself, dude must be a masochist or something) and it takes away from the final product. It's a shame what happened to Mary Elizabeth because I would love to hear her thoughts about the movie but she refuses to speak about it and isn't featured on this 4K edition behind the scenes or any promotional material. She delivered a very good and heartfelt performance and I can't imagine how difficult it must've been to be focused and in character when outside conditions are fucking you up beyond repair.

I just saw that for the first time last year. Great movie but I heard about how harsh the conditions were when filming that film. I remember hearing that Ed Harris punched James Cameron on set for putting him in actual danger

Deadstream (2022)

What a fun movie! A Pewdiepie-level YouTuber tries to redeem himself by livestreaming staying overnight in a haunted house. It's more comedy than horror, but a few parts were genuinely tense/scary/shocking/whatever you want to call it.

In a lot of these internet-focused movies, it can seem like the creators don't get the internet, but, here, I can actually believe the main character would be popular.

I'm surprised I couldn't find any mentions of this movie on NeoGAF. It being low-budget and small goes a long way to make me root for it. If the premise sounds interesting, and you're on board with the first few minutes, you'll probably like it like I did. Check it out!

Mr Blobby

Deadstream (2022)

What a fun movie! A Pewdiepie-level YouTuber tries to redeem himself by livestreaming staying overnight in a haunted house. It's more comedy than horror, but a few parts were genuinely tense/scary/shocking/whatever you want to call it.

In a lot of these internet-focused movies, it can seem like the creators don't get the internet, but, here, I can actually believe the main character would be popular.

I'm surprised I couldn't find any mentions of this movie on NeoGAF. It being low-budget and small goes a long way to make me root for it. If the premise sounds interesting, and you're on board with the first few minutes, you'll probably like it like I did. Check it out!
haha really liked this one too! those comment bubbles added to the hilarity as it's exactly what people would write

Dashcam (2022--not the 2021 film)

A found footage horror-comedy about an American who crashes in on her old bandmate in London during the COVID lockdowns, and it's presented like an episode of her livestream show. The plot gets going when she highjacks his Uber gig and gets a sought-after client.

The protagonist is a pro-MAGA, anti-vaxxin' Q-Anon conspiracy theorist white female freestyle rapper. She's a walking, talking real-life shitposter, and I can't think of another movie with anyone like her in it. I thought of it like watching an even more unhinged It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia character, so I found her funny, but the reviews seemed poor because people couldn't stomach having someone like that be the "Final Girl" in a horror movie.

Apparently, people also went after the actress in real life even though she's playing herself cranked up to 11, and when the movie's reception wasn't positive, the director threw her under the bus. I feel bad for her.

If the above sounds interesting, it's worth checking out. It's only like 70 minutes long, too, so not much of a time investment.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Finally watched Godzilla Minus One and I really liked it even though the family drama should've been cut short a bit. Godzilla's scenes were always well worth the wait, especially that scene when the main theme starts to play in the background.

Andyliini

Mad Max

Since Furiosa is coming later this month, I decided to give this series a rewatch, especially since the Anthology box has been sitting in my shelf untouched for almost a decade now.
It has interesting ideas, but at the same time it's clearly an indie film with cheesy scenes, mistakes and so on. There are interesting ideas here, but I found myself drifting off quite often. I have no real desire to see it again. Maybe this is the reason they rebooted the whole franchise in part 2.

Yerd

Mad Max

Since Furiosa is coming later this month, I decided to give this series a rewatch, especially since the Anthology box has been sitting in my shelf untouched for almost a decade now.
It has interesting ideas, but at the same time it's clearly an indie film with cheesy scenes, mistakes and so on. There are interesting ideas here, but I found myself drifting off quite often. I have no real desire to see it again. Maybe this is the reason they rebooted the whole franchise in part 2.
I don't think I have ever completely watched mad max 1. I remember seeing the 2 sequels as a kid, but the first I don't think I ever saw. I have tried multiple times to watch it as an adult and I get bored. It's nothing like the sequels.

Godzilla Minus One

I was NOT expecting to be drawn in to the human part of the story like I was, but it was just plain nice to see that found family develop.
Since it wasn't a Hollywood production, I thought Noriko was legitimately dead. Her death was sad and summoned real (slight) feelings of grief. But Koichi never gave up and was rewarded with a happy ending. It's inspiring but also kind of a cop-out but I don't care. Those characters deserved a happy ending.

Godzilla was NOT messing around, either. He came off like the force of nature that he is.

Way better movie than it needed to be. GG Japan.

Mr Hyde

From Beyond

When it comes to adapting Lovecraft, Stuart Gordon is the master. From Beyond is another little gore fest with some pretty slick creature effects. Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton star in the lead roles and since it's a Lovecraft story you know they are going bat shit insane by the end of the movie. It's not as good as Re-Animator or Dagon, but it's definitely worth a watch if you like Lovecraft or low budget horror shlock. I personally love everything Lovecraft. I've read all his stories, watched all the movies and played all the games based on his works. I just can't get enough of his weird tales, they are so unique and entertaining and crazy, and makes for such good adaptations, whether it's movies or games. He was so far ahead of his time, very intelligent, literal and sophisticated and yet wrote some of the most absurd, surreal and goriest stuff imaginable. A true inspiration.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Godzilla Minus One

I was NOT expecting to be drawn in to the human part of the story like I was, but it was just plain nice to see that found family develop.
Since it wasn't a Hollywood production, I thought Noriko was legitimately dead. Her death was sad and summoned real (slight) feelings of grief. But Koichi never gave up and was rewarded with a happy ending. It's inspiring but also kind of a cop-out but I don't care. Those characters deserved a happy ending.

Godzilla was NOT messing around, either. He came off like the force of nature that he is.

The girl could have
jumped in that alley too instead of getting blown away.
would have saved some drama.

Godzilla Minus One

People are complaining how that ending was cheesy and they didn't like it but if you look at the woman neck she has those G Scales. So that's how she survived

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I watched Encino Man (1992) with my son who wanted to watch it. What an absolute time capsule of the 90s that movie has become. And what a ridiculous premise. They don't make movies this dumb anymore, and I think that's a shame.

Also, this

5e6.gif

Legendary

AJUMP23

I watched Encino Man (1992) with my son who wanted to watch it. What an absolute time capsule of the 90s that movie has become. And what a ridiculous premise. They don't make movies this dumb anymore, and I think that's a shame.

Also, this

5e6.gif

Legendary
Great movie.

i actually met pauly shore at our resort in Costa Rica just after this came out. Talked to him about his character.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My son really liked Brenden Fraiser, I think the only other movie he's seen him in was The Mummy - like 15 years ago when he was a little kid.

Next up is Blast from the Past.

Nonehxc

Infernal Affairs (2002)
This is the movie The Departed was a semi-remake of. I love both movies, and while they have several things in common, both are unique enough to highly recommend both. Great stuff!
Infernal Affairs is a trilogy, in case you don't know. And every one is better than the previous. 😎

Top Bottom